Re: Adding a PCI graphics card to a D500 SFF (1577 Views)
Occasional Advisor
James D Holman
Message 1 of 10 (1,577 Views)
Accepted Solution

Adding a PCI graphics card to a D500 SFF

Hello All:

I have a D500 with the stock AGP card. I want to use a new ATI 7500 PCI card instead, but I can’t get it to work.

I have installed the graphics card, but I get no display on it when I connect my monitor. It doesn’t matter if I boot with the PCI card connected to the monitor, or if I moot to XP and move the cable over. Nothing on the PCI card.

I did notice that XP has detected the PCI card and has loaded the drivers for it successfully.

I have a replacement drive without the Compaq BIOS utilities, but in checking around, there doesn’t appear to be anything there anyway.

I even removed the stock AGP card hoping that the PCI card would “take over”, but the PC wouldn’t boot and I only got some beeps on power-up.

Any ideas? I have the 686Y2 v2.11 System ROM version and the Intel P4 2Ghz processor.

Thanks,

Jim

Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 2 of 10 (1,577 Views)

Re: Adding a PCI graphics card to a D500 SFF

go into the bios setup.

See if there is a AGP off setting.

Also might want to set the PCI/AGP boot selection to PCI.

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS

Occasional Advisor
James D Holman
Message 3 of 10 (1,577 Views)

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately, I can't get into the BIOS as this is a replacement hard drive and it doesn't have the BIOS utilities loaded. Pressing F10 at boot doesn't do anything.

I did use the HP BIOS deployment utility and I didn't see an option for turning off the AGP video.

I may be able to set PCI/AGP boot selection to PCI, but I don't know if I have this option either. I'll look tonight.

Thanks,

Jim
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 4 of 10 (1,577 Views)

The setup utility is not stored on the hard drive. It's stored on the motherboard. Compaq had the setup utility on the hard drive at one time, but was switched over to the motherboard by the PII era.

The beeps without the AGP card meant that the computer did not detect a graphics controller. The absence of a display from the PCI card would indicate to me that the computer doesn't recognize that graphics graphics controller but Windows detects it as a device of some sort.

The first thing I'd try is to clear the CMOS, insert both cards and attempt to boot up.
Occasional Advisor
James D Holman
Message 5 of 10 (1,577 Views)

That is a good suggestion. I am concerned about resetting the CMOS for one big reason:

I can't get into the BIOS utility via F10 at all.

This is why I assumed that the utility was on a hidden HD partition as pressing F10 doesn't go to the utility.

If I reset my CMOS and boot up, I am expecting that I'll need to go into the BIOS to do the basic configuration, and if I can't, I may be stuck without being able to boot at all.

If I reset the CMOS, why wouldn't I just boot with the new PCI card in the PC? I don't need the original AGP card at all.

Jim
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 6 of 10 (1,577 Views)

There is a CMOS button inside your PC.

Press it to reset the CMOS.

page B-3

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00704816/c00704816.pdf

PC homepage

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesI...〈=en&cc=us

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 7 of 10 (1,577 Views)

When the computer attempts to boot up, I think it's going to check for an AGP graphics controller every time, regardless of whether it is or is intended to be enabled. If the AGP graphics controller isn't there, you'll get the beeps and the boot will stop.

If the CMOS is cleared and the computer's settings will be returned to their defaults, which should make the computer behave correctly. You then wouldn't need to get into the setup to change anything.

As for the F10 issue...check carefully on the screen for the timing of when to press the button. Also...if you have any added drives or external devices, disconnect them.
Occasional Advisor
James D Holman
Message 8 of 10 (1,577 Views)

Steven,

So you're saying that when i reset the CMOS I DON'T need the AGP card any more or that I'll ALWAYS need it in there just that I won't have to use it?

I am curious if I have 2 graphics cards installed - 1 the standard AGP card and 1 the new PCI card how would the BIOS know which one to send the video to?

Jim
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 9 of 10 (1,577 Views)

The reason I referred to clearing the CMOS as the first thing to try is that I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be the *last* thing you'd need to try.

Based on the way your computer reacted when you didn't have an AGP card installed, I think you need to leave the AGP card in place, even though you don't plan to use it. Your computer is checking for an operational AGP graphics controller as part of its POST.

Your computer's default CMOS settings should have a priority for the graphics controllers to select which one is the boot device. We don't know yet whether it will be the PCI card, or if the computer will recognize the card at all. If the computer just won't recognize the card, that isn't always something that can be solved...but clearing the CMOS would be your best hope in a case like that.

If clearing the CMOS and installing both cards causes both to be recognized but the AGP card remains the boot device, you'll certainly need to get into the setup utility to have any hope of changing that. That said, this computer is meant to have an AGP graphics controller and you'd get the best performance from a decent AGP card rather than a PCI card.
Occasional Advisor
James D Holman
Message 10 of 10 (1,577 Views)

Steve,

I think I have it working now. Here is what I did:

1. Resetting the CMOS didn't do anything wonderful on its own that I could see, but...
2. I couldn't get into the BIOS utility because my wireless keyboard wasn't sending the F10 properly. Changing to a wired keyboard let me get into the BIOS utility.
3. I was able to see that the BIOS recognized both the stock nVidea AGP card and a PCI VGA card. I selected the PCI card to by PRIMARY and disabled the AGP card. Saving and rebooting did not activate the AGP card on boot however. I still needed to use the AGP card.
4. From within XP, I was able to use the PCI card as a secondary display and after this was able to use the PCI card. After that, I was able to select the PCI card as the primary display.

It doesn't look like I'll ever be able to remove the AGP card, but at least the new PCI card is usable within XP.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.