1720- SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (31188 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Martin Erni
Message 1 of 11 (31,188 Views)

1720- SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure

The whole message that appears after boot-up on a HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor PC:

1720- SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.
Failing Drive: SATA 0 (dark blue)
Failing Attribute: # 10

can anyone help me? after pressing F1 the PC still works.

ThX
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 11 (30,897 Views)

Re: 1720- SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure

Martin

SMART is a self diagnostic on the hard drive itself. It's purpose is to detect a failing hard drive before it has actually failed and you loose all your data. When SMART displays a message of imminent failure you should back up all your data and replace the hard drive.

There is not a BIOS option to disable SMART.

You can choose to ignore the SMART message, your hard drive may not fail for weeks or months, or it may have failed by the time you read this message.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA1408051
Message 3 of 11 (30,897 Views)

Hi Martin,
download the diagnostics tool from your hard drive manufacturer, put it on diskette/cd and check your HDD.

look also at this thread >>>
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1047821

at least nearly most manufacturers have their own diag-tools on their hp's...

hth,
kind regards
Andreas

(...say thanks with HP points...)

HP points ? >>>
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/helptips.do?#33
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
CA996765
Message 4 of 11 (30,897 Views)

Martin: Your thread is like mine at this URL:
<>
As one of the replies you got suggested, I *strongly* suggest you download the Diagnostics utility from the web site of the hard drive manufacturer. Then, run it, several times. Possibly your hard drive will get an "OK", like mine did. Probably with your HD and mine, there is a glitch, but maybe not a major problem. Lanny
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 5 of 11 (30,897 Views)

Martin and Lanny

I too use the Manufacturers drive test utilities religously. However, if SMART says there is a problem and the diagnostic utility says there is not, who are you going to believe. If tomorrow, next week or next month your hard drive fails and you loose all your data who will you blame.

Roll the dice if you wish. Spending $50 or $100 to replace a suspect drive is a lot cheaper than the cost of lost data. I have been there, four times in the past two years.

My two cents.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jennifer Spade
Message 6 of 11 (30,897 Views)

I alsohad this issue. After reading your responses (thank you) I did the DPS Self Test.
And it said - Test Failed. Drive Replacement Recommended.

Does that mean I need a whole new hard drive? Why would this happen? My computer is less than 1 year old.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
palkam05
Message 7 of 11 (24,284 Views)

Hi i am paul mungai kamau,

I working for Kenya Ports Authority Mombasa and i deal with HP printer PCs Servers and scanners, I have been experiencing Immitent failures on hardrives in Pcs SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure. From the conversation you said we download diagnostic tool what is the link...to get the the exact tool please when helping pple special the correct link.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
chubrub
Message 8 of 11 (17,906 Views)

I recently got this error, and I sent in my computer to HP (Pavilion h8-1212c) to be fixed. I was wondering how long it usually takes for HP to fix this kind of problem, because I really need it.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 9 of 11 (17,877 Views)

I do not want to disturb your hope. But the normal procedure to cure the said issue is: Buy a new HDD.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bigmik096
Message 10 of 11 (5,437 Views)

I have this same error message, but on a HP Pavilion 23 touchscreen with windows 8. Instead of successfully booting, it loads for a while, flashes a light blue screen with a message that I couldn't read. Then it takes me back to the error message. I press F1 to boot again, but this time, the loading screen says "Preparing Automatic Repair", then it takes me to a black screen. By the way I bought this computer a week ago.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Bright3
Message 11 of 11 (5,387 Views)

Hello, yes you need a new hard drive, backup your files into an external hard drive, then replace your bad hard drive, sugestion- shutdown your computer every night, this will protect the hard drive for malfunction later.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation