1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #5 (126368 Views)
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 26 of 48 (13,869 Views)

Re: 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #5

Hello Paul, dear old friend,

I suggest that you visit Seagate's website and collect whatever they have for testing the drives.

This might help in detecting any SMART errors on the new disk.

Alle the best

Rainald

Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 27 of 48 (13,861 Views)

Thanks Rainald for your sage advice.

I've used "Seatools" (very good) and it confirms that the newbie drive is on its way out....

I didn't bother changing its position - I think that is confirmation enough!

The drive's still working fine, but there's nothing too important on it and it's under 5yr guarantee.

So full marks for "SMART" technology I guess!!

Have a great Xmas - and best wishes for 2012

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 28 of 48 (13,858 Views)

Hi Paul,

so I think you might make use of the warranty ;-)

All the best  and the best wishes for Christmas and a peaceful 2012

Rainald

Occasional Visitor
hankoog
Message 29 of 48 (13,324 Views)

Como reparo error de HDD 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #5

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 30 of 48 (13,314 Views)

hankoog,

it seems that you did not read this thread prior to posting :-(

Otherwise you have seen the answers specifying that there is no repair for the said error and the warning is most valid.

In can only repeat what I had said 3 years ago:

>> 08-20-2008 03:40 AM
if this warning appears the HDD is defective and is no longer able to cover bad sectors.
The HDD will die sooner or later and writing to the HDD may cause corruption due to bad sectors.

If this appears:
1.) Immediately make a backup of all of your data and/or an image of the HDD.

2.) Replace the HDD with a new one.
a) If the machine is still covered by warranty, call HP and open a case. They will send you a new drive and - depending an the warranty scheme - send a serviceman to change the drives.

b) Otherwise by a new HDD. You can use a HDD from any manufacturer (no need to buy the thing from HP).

Let me repeat:
It's a deadly sin to work with a HDD which shows the said symptoms.
 <<
Added:
After having done the necessary backup of your data, you may run a diagnostics tool offered by the manufacturer of the HDD (they all have something on their websites).
Maybe this can cure the bad sectors of the drive.
If not - chances are not good at all - a new HDD is needed.

All the best
Rainald
Occasional Visitor
rick-h
Message 31 of 48 (12,968 Views)

I have the failure error and will be buying a new HDD.

I'm also getting an external drive to backup the current system and another laptop. (The failing one is a Pavilion dv7-4170us; the other is a Pavilion dv7-4069wm.)

I want to use the external drive as the primary storage for my documents, music, pictures, etc. Is it possible to have images from two different computers on the external, and to use the external as the primary accessible storage unit? The external is a 1.5TB Western Digital; the two laptops have 640GB internal drives (neither of which has much on them - 50-60GB each). Will I need to partition the external? (If so, how is this done?)

Also, in looking for a new internal drive, will I need to replace it with an identical drive (640GB 5400rpm)?

Or, is it possible to get a different drive?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 32 of 48 (12,960 Views)

Hi Rick

If you have at least one Seagate drive in (or I think attached to) the machine, you can download and use a basic version of Acronis True Image for free - other manufacturers may offer something similar.

The free version from Seagate is called Disk Wizard is the download is here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-GB&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d0f569a45d3ce010VgnVCM1...

Once you've downloaded it and start to use it, you should find an option to buy the full version at a considerablre discount - but the free one will let you partition disks and create complete bootable disk images.

The disk images are compressed files (.tib files) and are stored like any other file - so you can save them on your new external disk without any need to partition, so maximising flexibility of its use. Your two 640GB will certainly back up onto a single 1.5TB - but for security you really need enough space to retain the last back-up before writing the new one! With your current usage on the live drives, this will not be a problem - but it will become one later if both active drives get nearer full capacity.

The free version ONLY gives you "one off" back ups as compmlete disk images - it is not a file by file backup nor does it offer differential back-ups - for that you need to buy the full version - or use a different application

For your replacement drive, you are not limited to the original size nor spin speed. Any 2.5inch SATA drive should be fine. However, I would recommend you buy a recognised brand - the few extra pounds are nothing in comparison to the value of lost data downstream..... I've generally found Seagate very good - apart from the one drive that showed Smart Drive failure - but still worked to copy out the data and was replaced under their 5 year guarantee.  But have a search on the internet for people's comments.

Hope that helps, Paul

Occasional Visitor
dharzshann
Message 33 of 48 (12,923 Views)

i have a problem with my hard drive it says (1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #5)

what is the solution for this problem..

thank you...

Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 34 of 48 (12,906 Views)

Hi Dharzshann,

Regrettably, there is no cure - you must change the disk.

You should check whether the disk is under warranty - you may be entitled to a free replacement.

Hopefully you will have backed up your disk regularly. But if not and if you're lucky, you'll be able to clone the disk onto the replacement before the existing one fails completely - or create an image which you can later use to restore your systems and data onto a new disk.

Please read the whole of this thread where you'll find helpful information about replacing the disk.

Occasional Visitor
darrellmysander
Message 35 of 48 (12,744 Views)

what can i d to fixs. 1720 smart hard drive detects imminent failure attr #7

Occasional Visitor
darrellmysander
Message 36 of 48 (12,744 Views)

how can i fixs it
Occasional Visitor
darrellmysander
Message 37 of 48 (12,744 Views)

maybe 4 years old
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 38 of 48 (12,739 Views)

As your question relates to an attribute (#7) which is not addressed in this thread, (this on'e aboout Attr #5), it would be better for you to start a new thread or find a more appropriate one.

Att #7 relates to a high incidence of seek errors - viz: the magnetic heads are not positioning accurately over the relevant radial on the disk.

This is generally considered non-critical - but I would change the disk, because this indicates that the head  positioning system is failing or that the disk is distorted.

Some HDDs have a long guarantee, (eg up to 5 years) so check that out as you may be entitled to a free replacement

Unfortunately, this is not something you can fix yourself and if you continue to use the disk you should recognise there is a higher than normal risk of catastrophic failure - so be very careful to backup its contents regularly in a two or more stage process.  (viz: don't overwrite a backup until the subsequent one has completed successfully.

Occasional Visitor
rick-h
Message 39 of 48 (12,716 Views)

[ Edited ]

Paul,

Thank you for the help! (I used the Windows 7 image creator/backup to put an image on the new

WD external. When attempting to install the image onto the new HDD there is a constant failure -

sometihng to the effect that "there is no drve associated with an image to be installed." Yet, the

program that is supposed to install the image onto the new HDD, shows the image is there.

Any idea how to resolve this problem?)

Rick

Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 40 of 48 (12,692 Views)

Hi Rick

Sorry - I'm not familiar with Windows7 - I only start to trust MS crap after it's been around for several years - and not much even then....!!

I've checked and there is an Acronis version for WD drives:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

If I've understood you correctly, you've formatted the new WD disk, then created the image file on that new disk and are now trying to run it on the new disk?. I don't see how that could work.

Assuming W7 works in much the same way as Acronis, the image file must not be on the destination disk - because the first move on running the image file will be to format and partition that disk and then write the image to it.

Hope that helps ...

Frequent Advisor
wfejnieh2
Message 41 of 48 (12,196 Views)

Of the few Hard Drive failures I've had; after I get the Notification of "Iminant failure" to appear my Hard Drives have dropped dead before I had a chance to back anything up!  That's why I found it interesting when I purchased an 'off-lease' dc7600 CMT.  I bought the computer and immediately yanked the Seagate Hard Drive and replaced it with a 'fresh' "re-certified" WD 40GB Sata II (3 Gb/sec).  I wanted it for fun.  Not a week later, I received exactly the same error message from S.M.A.R.T. - 1720 - Smart Hard Drive Detects iminent failure,....finding SATA 0 : "dark blue" (!?!) with failure Attribute: 05. Back Up and run DPS Self-Test,...After the test was completed, my error was "Code 4".  Since I had the original drive stowed away, and I hadn't had enough time to load anything important, I decided to keep running that little WD until it dropped dead!  That's what brought me here!  It's 4 weeks later and that little tater hasn't dropped dead yet! It successfully does maintenance chores like Disk Clean-Up, Defragments "o.k.", I haven't lost any sectors (performing Windows own disk check and fix any errors).  None were to be found!  Piriform's Defragmenter says ID #5 shows a one time Realocated Sectors Count "Real Value" of 620.  but the "current"/"Worst" ranges are within range.  Piriform's SPECCY doesn't have any Values 'out-of-range' and reports the Hard Drive, running at around 35C to be "GOOD".  I took a little time today to search for answers as to WHY my Hard Drive HASN'T Dropped Dead!!!

Occasional Visitor
IPI_Paul
Message 42 of 48 (9,476 Views)

I always buy 2 hard drives when upgrading my laptops and netbooks. 3 years ago I bought 2 x WD Scorpio Blue 500 gig hard drives to install Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP mini 210. I use Easeus to copy sector by sector the every day used HD to the backup HD every now and then.

The everyday used HD is now showing this imminent failure even though the Quick Test and Full Test show that the HD has Passed. The backup has no error warning.

I have tried a complete clean of the everyday HD using Acronis and irreversible disk wiping. Still the problem continues!

I can't see why the backup HD having exactly the same image copied to it and being the same age does not produce this error.

And, rather than throwing out a 500 gig HD, can it be safely used as external storage as I need some?
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 43 of 48 (9,465 Views)

Hello Paul

I suggest you read the very useful message #9 from NN60 on page 1 of this thread.  You could also benefit by reading through the other postings on the thread if you've not done so already

Basically, a SMART HDD continuously monitors itself, looking at a number of internal parameters that could  indicate that the drive is starting to fail.  I believe attribute #5 relates to excessive sector reallocation. This is a hardware problem related to disk integrity and growing numbers of bad sectors.

There's no saying how long it will last before it finally expires.... could be hours or months!

Although SMART predictions of imminent failure are not always  related to age of the HDD or the extent of its usage - and are not infallible, it sounds like your "everyday" HDD has seen lots of service, while the backup disk has just been used occasionally. It's therefore perfectly logical that the everyday HDD is getting close to the end of its life while the backup disk is not!

I don't understand the logic of buying two disks at a time. I'd suggest you buy one to replace the everyday one that's failing. Disk storage is cheap these days and, unless your time comes really cheaply, loss of data is likely to be much more expensive than a new drive!

You could of course continue using "everyday" as backup storage - as long as it's storing stuff you're prepared to lose!

Frankly, if you keep it, you're probably sitting on a timebomb - with no idea when the timer will run out....

Frequent Advisor
wfejnieh2
Message 44 of 48 (9,460 Views)

Since I wrote on the subject concerning Hard Drive Failure (last year), I was 'prompted' by the HP Community Mailer the

subject was 'still alive'!  I absolutely respond to warnings from the System!  I have copy's (plural) of anything on a computer

I own and in the case of a "mechanical" piece of Hardware (like the 'old' hard drives we're familiar with) vs the "ssd"'s;

electronics Fail Too!  For that reason, I advise anyone 'bumping' up to a  95 watt processor from a 65 watt; that's a 50%

load increase to the system!!!  Electronic devices have a very tight design characteristic where each component has ~5%

to 10% variance.  That's what gives us the "Quality"!  Older readers might recollect the development of Hi Fidelity in

Amplifiers and the increase in quality the integrated circuits brought over the transistor!  These components, as a result

have a narrower tolerance for system components running 'out-of-their'design' range!  The most sensitive being heat!

Frequent Advisor
wfejnieh2
Message 45 of 48 (9,410 Views)

I'd like to 'update' my reply (in July 22,2012).  The 40GB WD SATA II was eventually "yanked" and the original Seagate that came with the dc7600cmt was re-installed.  Though the WD was still working "o.k."; I noticed it, slowing down in performing tasks.  I continued running tests on it and got tired 'chasing-my-tail' (so to speak).  It is stowed away, still in operating order with everything there (bootable).  Again, this computer was bought as a "toy" - nothing important is on it.  IF GIVEN A WARNING MY HARD DRIVE WAS ABOUT TO FAIL; I'd BACK UP EVERYTHING TO A BRAND NEW HARD DRIVE IMMEDIATELY!!!  Putting anything on a "used" hard drive is like buying "used" (worn-out) tires for your  family's auto!  It isn't worth the gamble!    Kind Regards, wfejnieh2

Occasional Visitor
muthanna
Message 46 of 48 (9,356 Views)

Every time I boot my machine at home, I get this error message: 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #5
Initializing Intel(R) Boot agent version 4.0.19 PXE Build 083 (WFM 2.0). RPL V2.73
press F1 

can you help me please ?

Frequent Advisor
wfejnieh2
Message 47 of 48 (9,352 Views)

I would buy a New Hard Drive As Soon As Possible!  If you can't afford "new" right now, I'd get a 'good' used one; transfer everything to it, and 'stow' the old drive.  It could prove usefull in the future knowing you still have a bootable hard drive if you have problems in the future!  What-ever-you-do; make a copy!   I wish you the best of luck!    Jeff

Occasional Visitor
wando
Message 48 of 48 (4,145 Views)

It's avisable to try the hard disk on another laptop just to see if it works, at times the you get the imminent filure message for your hard disk but when you try it on another machine the hard disc works just fine , happened to me.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.