Re: need info on what to strip out of a pcl6 file to be able to merge 2 files together (147 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Lynn_6
Message 1 of 5 (147 Views)
Accepted Solution

need info on what to strip out of a pcl6 file to be able to merge 2 files together

what info needs to be taken out of a pcl6 print file. i am working with vb and 2 different apps each app must generate a print file then the vb program will strip info out and merge them into 1 file for duplex printing. one app is autocad or autocad inventor the other is word. does any one have info on pcl6 language??????????????
Honored Contributor
Stuart Elflett
Message 2 of 5 (147 Views)

Re: need info on what to strip out of a pcl6 file to be able to merge 2 files together

The applications don't actually send the PCL 6 data, per se - it's actually the windows driver that is responsible for that... hence, you may find it much easier to use a driver that works in postscript... PCL is a better language for HP printers, postscript is an easier language to work in for this kind of thing...

I guess the aim of this project is to have a customised print from Autocad using fields automatically filled within word??? By far the simplest way to achieve this would be with a two pass print - let Autocad print the first page and then reprint the info from Word - that may not accomodate what you need however...

I'd be inclined to write an app that gathers the appropriate data from both using OLE or Postscript if necessary, merge the data, and then output it from your app using the PCL6 driver - that way you keep the print speed up but make it easier to translate the data...

For information on programming & working with PCL, HP have an excellent technical guide - it now comes on CD - Kathy will probably pop in and give ordering details... :-)

Cheers,
Stuart Elflett
May the best of your past be the worst of your future...
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 3 of 5 (147 Views)

Re: need info on what to strip out of a pcl6 file to be able to merge 2 files together

Hi,

Thanks, Stuart, for the introduction...

Here's ordering information for the PCL Technical Reference bundle:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl01354.html

Good luck!

Kathy
Occasional Visitor
Lynn_6
Message 4 of 5 (147 Views)

the idea of printing 1 side the turn the paper and reprint the other side is not an option this process will run at 2 different mfg sites each site process approx. 200-300 duplex prints each nite unattended.

tring to pull the atuocad dwg file into a word doc look promising but the out of the drawing was not very readable.

i have not thought about using a postscript driver. this might prove viable.

i need info on pcl 6 not pcl 5
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 5 of 5 (147 Views)

Go to http://www.hpdevelopersolutions.com/index.cfm,
join the program as an affiliate member (for free ;-) Then go to developer kits, laserjets, printer languages, PCL 6...

I think you might also need the PJL reference to strip all the unnecessary information from your files.

--
Marcin
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.