Using an LPT1 emulator for a USB printer (1168 Views)
Advisor
Gordon Biggar
Message 1 of 3 (1,168 Views)

Using an LPT1 emulator for a USB printer

I have a Laser Jet 1200 (b&w) printer that is tied to my computer via a USB cable. (I am using Windows 2000 Pro.)

My grand daughter has some computer software from The Learning Company. In order to print from it, however, requires that the printer be tied to a parallel port (LPT1). The software provider tells me that most printer manufacturers have "emulator" software for LPT1 ports. I can't say that I have located such from scanning the list of available drivers, etc. for my printer on the HP web site. (But, I may not be looking for the right software.)

Since this printer can also be operated using a 25-pin connector, I hooked up such a cable, followed the "Add Printer" routine, assigned it to LPT1, and assigned it as the default printer. Doesn't work. The computer still treats it as a USB connection.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be greatly appeciative.

Many thanks.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas
Occasional Visitor
Dale Thorn
Message 2 of 3 (1,168 Views)

Re: Using an LPT1 emulator for a USB printer

Usually people set the printer up as a "network" printer, which may require assigning some network stuff in Windows. Then you can enter a string like the following on the START / RUN command line:
Net Use Lpt1: \\computer\prtname /persistent:yes

which should finish the setting.

Note that that's a single line, even though it looks like two lines in this editor.
Honored Contributor
Bill Brayford_2
Message 3 of 3 (1,168 Views)

Re: Using an LPT1 emulator for a USB printer

If you have installed second but same printer you should be able to go into settings /printers/properties/ ports and add another port? LPT:1

Bill
The only good cheap printer is a Pencil. Rest were invented by Salesmen!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.