Unable to install HP Laserjet 4250 Printer (1013 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jesse_L
Message 1 of 4 (1,013 Views)

Unable to install HP Laserjet 4250 Printer

I have been trying to install our HP 4250 Printer connected via USB cable. Our operating system is Win XP. I have tried both drivers the 5e and the 6 with no success. I cannot find our installation CD that came with printer. This CD is recommended since you are told when to connect the USB cable to the computer when installing. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 2 of 4 (1,013 Views)

Re: Unable to install HP Laserjet 4250 Printer

When you connect the usb cable to the computer with the printer on does it say found new hardware? If not move the usb cable to another connection on the computer and hopefully it will and if the software is not on the computer it will ask you to either look for it with updates or to specify a location. If you downloaded the pcl5 driver and unzipped the files just tell the computer the location on the screen that comes up and it should work. If new hardware found does not come up then you have an issue with the usb cable or usb port on the computer or printer.
Occasional Visitor
Jesse_L
Message 3 of 4 (1,013 Views)

When the USB Cable is attached to the computer it recognizes that there is new hardware then searches for the drivers. It does not recognize the printer. I steered it to the PCL inf file and it completes the installation and freezes up when a test page is sent to the printer. I have to turn off & on the printer to unfreeze the computer. It takes forever to print the test page or anything else. I noticed that a notepad document prints fast. Everything else takes forever to print. Usually one page at a time with several minutes between pages. I found a regular parrallel cable and it prints instantly. I ordered the original installation CD from HP to install the drivers since printing via USB is supposed to be faster. I read on their site that the USB cable needs to be inserted when the software instructs you to or else their could be problems such as very slow printing.
Advisor
Al Alent
Message 4 of 4 (1,013 Views)

You can also connect the printer & turn it on. Then connect to the HP website & select Find My Printer or Auto detect. HP will then connect to you computer, look for the connected printer & download the correct drivers.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.