Re: Sharing the HP1012 Laser Jet Printer (43 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rick Davis_3
Message 1 of 8 (43 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sharing the HP1012 Laser Jet Printer

Can I share the HP1012 on my small (3 PC) home network (peer-to-peer workgroup)(Windows XP Pro on all 3 machines)? I asked HP tech support and all they could tell me was that "well...the HP1012 does not support networking". Sharing and networking are two different issues all together...duh...right?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rodney Hills
Message 2 of 8 (43 Views)

Re: Sharing the HP1012 Laser Jet Printer

If you attach the printer to one of the Win XP systems, you can share it. The other Win XP PC's create new printers specifying the PC with the printer.

If you got a seperate Jetdirect 300 box (about $200-$300) you could attach the printer that way also.

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Robert Zeleznik
Message 3 of 8 (43 Views)

if your printer is connected to 1 of the 3 pc's, right click on the printer in the printer folder and click on properties. Then go to the sharing tab and share it with a name of your choice. Now close all open windows and check the pc name of this computer and go to the other and add a netowrk print and try browsing to it, if you can't find it then type in "computer name\share name" and you should be on your way.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dave Bociek
Message 4 of 8 (43 Views)

As above, the answer is "Yes you can" as I have done the equivalent in my small 4 PC network at home.

If/when you do get this up and running though, I would draw your attention to the problem I am having with manual duplexing. I have found that manual duplexing works OK with the PC to which the printer is directly connected, but manual duplexing does not work on any machines connected via the share.

If you could confirm/deny that this is the case in your network, this would greatly help my problem diagnosis too.

See also http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=257466
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 5 of 8 (43 Views)

Rick,

The short answers to your two questions are yes and no.

Here are a couple links you might find helpful:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc-JAVA/offweb/vac/us/product_pdfs/lj1012.pdf

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P10B52C86

As you can see from reading the HP documentation, the LJ1012 is a 'host-based LJ.' So the LJ1012 cannot use any kind of JetDirect (internal or external). Here is a link that spells this limitation out. (The LJ1012 is part of the LJ1000 series.)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl10969

What the HP rep should have said was, 'the LJ1012 does not support networking through JetDirect print servers.'

As others have mentioned, the LJ1012 can indeed be Shared through MS networking, but it can only be connected to the host PC with a USB cable.

Printer Sharing through MS networking is a specific type of networking.

Please post back if you still have questions.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rick Davis_3
Message 6 of 8 (43 Views)

Thanks to all for the help...

The 1012 can indeed be shared in a peer-to-peer workgroup.

Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 7 of 8 (43 Views)

Glad it is working.

Could you please take a second to assign points to any replys you found helpful.

Thanks.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dan Bosdech
Message 8 of 8 (43 Views)

I am having the same problem with the manual duplex printing not working on any printer except the one it is attached too. I have tried a couple different things but no luck. Right now I have the driver installed on both computers. On the one not hooked up to the printer I installed it as a printer that is being shared by another printer. I would think this would set it up to operate correctly but it worked the same. It locks up the application.

Have you tried to call customer support on this yet?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation