Re: RFU Load Error - 5550DN (1388 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Andrew McManus
Message 1 of 5 (1,388 Views)

RFU Load Error - 5550DN

Came to the office this morning to discover a non-working printer. Note that the power to the printer was disconnected over the weekend, so it may have been shut off mid-install.

Anyway, the printer control panel reads:

Downld File Now
RFU LOAD ERROR
RESEND RFU OVER
PARALLEL PORT

Please let me know how to fix this. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Nkassas
Message 2 of 5 (1,388 Views)

Re: RFU Load Error - 5550DN

Hi Andrew McManus,
The printer color laserjet panel read a four message as you post that mean - Initializing the Hard Drive or Flash DIMM from the Control Panel

Action taken to fix a problem
Initializing the hard drive for the Color LaserJet 4600 and 5500 series printers:

1.)Turn the printer off.

2.)Power the printer on, wait about 3-5 seconds, then hold down the Pause/Resume key on the control panel until all three LEDs are lit.

3.)Press the (<)back button. The display will show INITIALIZE DISKS.

4.)Press the Select(Right Sign)button. The printer will initialize the disk-this may take a moment-and continue its power-on sequence.

Note: Don't Turn off printer durning Hard disk initialization process.

Hope this steps resloved a problem.
Regards,
Nkassas

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Andrew McManus
Message 3 of 5 (1,388 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I pieced through some suggestions from other threads here, and ended up loading a new .rfu file through the parallel port.

Printer took about 2 minutes, then reset itself and seemed happy.

Will try your method should it have a similar problem in the future.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Eduardo León
Message 4 of 5 (1,388 Views)

Hi I bought a LaserJet 5550DTN and i have the same error in the display.

I followed your instructions. After press the Pause/Resume bottom around 5 seconds, in the display i read SELECT LANGUAGE. I press the bak bottom and nothing.

Maybe is because the model?

Please help

Eduardo
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Greg Gruchacz
Message 5 of 5 (1,388 Views)

Eduardo:

As Andrew discovered, the problem is with a corrupted firmware file. You can download the firmware from HP at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=406802&p...
You can get firmware downloads for MAC, UNIX or Windows and instuctions on how to install it. It MUST be done through the parallel port otherwise it will not work with the printer in it's current condition. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Greg
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation