PCL to host based printer (302 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Michael Hipp
Message 1 of 14 (302 Views)

PCL to host based printer

(Sorry if this has been hashed before, but the search function doesn't seem to be working.)

Is it possible to use an old DOS-based program with a host based printer like the HP LJ 1022 where the program wants to send PCL directly to an LPT?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 14 (302 Views)

Re: PCL to host based printer

as far as i know ,you cannot since a host based printer relies on the pc to process and render the code.and this printer does'nt have a parallel port.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Hipp
Message 3 of 14 (302 Views)

Thanks. There's a couple of ways to deal with the LPT issue.

But I was wondering if there is any way to fake it into doing the right thing if sent PCL.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 4 of 14 (302 Views)

Host-based printers understand proprietary languages (like JetReady) which are cut-down versions of PCL5 or PCL6.

As such, some of them will undertstand a small subset of PCL5 or PCL6 (depending on model?) but are then likely to generate errors once their (smallish) buffer is full - which will probably be after one or two pages - after which you'd have to reboot the printer to be able to print anything else.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 5 of 14 (302 Views)

Contrary what the user wants, most dos programs just send plain text to the printer and not pcl which would make host based printers not acceptable for dos applications.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 6 of 14 (302 Views)

Michael,

raz, Chris, and David are all right. For more infomation on host based printers, see my reply here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1173624

Pat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Hipp
Message 7 of 14 (302 Views)

Thanks to everyone.

It appears the HPLJ P2015 is the first "real" printer in the lineup at a starting price point of $349. A bit high. A lot high, actually.

Am I doomed to this if I want to stick with HP printers? Other manufacturers have them for quite a bit less.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 8 of 14 (302 Views)

Michael,

Perhaps. Looks like you want a monchrome (black) printer. Referring to:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-18972-3328059.html?jumpid=re_R295_prodexp/buspro...

I think you also have to consider the workload you're going to place on the printer. The 3 categories on these are from heavy duty at the top to light duty at the bottom. See the green divider bars.

Black and White Laser Printers : High-volume Black and White Laser Printers (generally for large workgroups and/or intensive use/large jobs)

Black and White Laser Printers : Office Black and White Laser Printers (generally for small to medium workgroups, moderate use)

Black and White Laser Printers : Personal Black and White Laser Printers (translate that to 1 or 2 users printing a few times a day, fairly small jobs).

I don't know all of the printers in the last category, so I don't know for sure which are host based and which are "normal" printers, but I expect you're probably right about the P2015. It's not host based, and if you want to stick with HP, that's probably what you need.

Sounds like cost is a major factor. If it were me, I'd ask around then shop around. In other words, track down some printer repair shops in your area and ask about their experience with low cost printer models from HP and other brands. No one will know better than someone who works on them.

Be sure to tell them what you're trying to accomplish and what your cost range is.

razmat and David may have some further input too, since that's what they do for a living.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
MukeshS
Message 9 of 14 (302 Views)

Hi,

Laserjet 1022 Printer is a PCL 5e compatible printer(though the drivers in the CD are Host Based) and the compatible driver for the printer is Laserjet 6L.

So just addd the Laserjet 6L driver for 1022 and the printer will be a PCL5 e printer.

The Windows inbox " LaserJet 6L pcl 5e "printer driver has been tested and is supported under Windows Terminal Server and Citrix Metaframe.

If you want to print from a DOS based applications, please follow the below work around after installing the "Laserjet 6L" driver and check if it works:

First add the Laserjet 6L driver using the below steps:

1. Click Start--> Control Panel--> Printers and other hardware--> Printers and Faxes

2. Under Printer Tasks, click Add Printer.

3. Click Next on the first Add Printer Wizard window.

4. Select only "Local Printer" option and click "Next". Make sure to uncheck "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer" option".

5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select the appropriate port and click Next.

6. Under the Manufacturers list, select HP.

7. Under the Printers list, select the HP Laserjet 6L printer and click Next.

8. Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer? select "Yes" and click Next.

9. When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.

If it works, go ahead with the following steps:

It is possible to set up a USB printer to print from DOS as if it were a parallel printer. This only works on non-host based printers that can be set up to be shared over a network.

Workaround
-------------
Follow the instructions below to set up a USB printer to print from DOS-based applications.

Step one: Install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter to access the printer as if it were on a network

Windows XP:

1. Open the Control Panel by clicking Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel, double-click Add Hardware. The Add Hardware Wizard displays.

3. Click Next. The wizard will scan for hardware changes.

4. The message Have you already connected this hardware to your system? displays.

5. Select Yes, I have already connected the hardware. An Installed Hardware list displays.

6. Select Add a new hardware device and click Next.

7. In the next window select Install the hardware I manually select from a list (advanced).

8. Click Next.

9. In next window, select Network Adapters and click Next.

10. Select Microsoft in the Manufacturer list, and Microsoft Loopback Adapter in the Network Adapter list.

11. Click Next.

12. Click Next, and then Finish.

The Microsoft Loopback adapter is now installed. The adapter gives the computer the illusion of networking with itself, allowing the printer to be shared with the computer and to have a parallel port assigned to the printer.

Step two: Share the printer over the network

Windows XP:

1. Open the Printers and Faxes folder by clicking Start then Printers and Faxes.

2. Right-click on the HP Laserjet 6L printer icon you would like to setup in DOS and select Sharingâ ¦.

3. Select Shared as and enter a name for the printer, for example HPLJ.

4. Click OK.

Step three: Assign the printer as an LPT (parallel) port printer

Click Start >Right-click on My Computer (Host Computer).
Select Properties.
Here you can find the 'Computer name' tab.
Note this Full Computer Name here.

1. Click Start, then Run.

2. In the Open box, type cmd.

3. Click OK. The command prompt displays.

4. Type:

net use lpt1 \\comp\hplj /persistent:yes

where 'comp' is the Full Computer Name or network name of the computer and hplj is the shared name of the printer.

5. Press Enter on the keyboard. This assigns the printer to the lpt1 printer port and should provide DOS application printing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Hipp
Message 10 of 14 (302 Views)

Thanks MukeshS for the excellent information.

Wish I'd known the 6L trick for the 1022 a bit sooner as UPS just delivered the first 3 2015P printers earlier today.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 11 of 14 (302 Views)

Thanks MukeshS. Michael - owe you an apology. I jumped at the host based term in your original post and said no you can't do it.

However, MukeshS's post made me go back and do some research.

Apparently the laserjet 1022 is uniqe among host based printers in that it does, in fact, have a processor.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328059-14638-3328066-439424-439431-439436...

I believe it is the only host based model with a processor.

HP confirms MukeshS' statement about using the LaserJet 6L PCL5e driver is confirmed in HP's list of Citrix/TS compatible printers (page 4):

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-8465ENW.pdf

All that said, I think you'll probably end up being happy you got the 2015Ps.

I'm suspicious that the 1022 will end up having very limited capacity even though it does have a processor and can use the 6L's PCL driver. I'd assume the processor has very limited capability or HP would have issued standard PCL and PS drivers for it. Instead, they only supply host based software for this model.

Please let us know how it all turns out.

Pat
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Nir AAA
Message 12 of 14 (302 Views)

Hi Michael,
The LJ 1022 does support the PCL 5e language, and can even work with LJ 4 and III drivers. However, it is not fully MS-Dos compatiable, and might not function well. The LJ 2015 is better, u can install its PCL drivers instead of using the implanted XP drivers, and it should perform better under Dos. U will have to use port capture anyway, since it only have a USB port and (optionally) a network port. BTW- u could have used the LJ 2014, also support Dos printing (have PCL 5), have a parallel port, and should cost less then the LJ 2015.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Hipp
Message 13 of 14 (302 Views)

I don't see an LJ2014 listed on any of HP's product pages. Is this model available in the US?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Nir AAA
Message 14 of 14 (302 Views)

Hmmm... I cant really tell since im not in the US. It shows as a part of LJ 2010 printer series in HP site. It looks exactly like the LJ 2015, but lacks some of its functions and accessories. It is a series that continues the LJ 1160, while the 2015 is more like the LJ 1320, both better then the older models, of course.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation