One device to print wirelessly for HP Laserjet 1100 & Laserjet 4 Plus? (148 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Douglas R. Boyd
Message 1 of 3 (148 Views)
Accepted Solution

One device to print wirelessly for HP Laserjet 1100 & Laserjet 4 Plus?

Hello to all,

I am borrowing a HP Laserjet 1100 I want to use wirelessly with two Dell laptops (that only have USB ports).

[I am using a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router.]

At home, I have a HP Laserjet 4 Plus that I want to set up for printing wirelessly using the same WRT54GL.

The Laserjet 1100 has a mini-centronics connector (IEEE 1284)..and..the Laserjet 4 Plus has a 25 pin parallel connector.

Is there one item I could buy that would allow me to use the Laserjet 1100 wirelessly while in Florida and that I could also use with the Laserjet 4 Plus to print wirelessly when I get back home?

Thank you for your help.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 3 (148 Views)

Re: One device to print wirelessly for HP Laserjet 1100 & Laserjet 4 Plus?

It seems both printers are parallel. To do wireless, you would need either USB or Ethernet connections.

You might be able to get a USB to parallel cable.

If you were going to start all over buying printers, etc, you can get:
1) Printers with wired and wireless builtin.
2) Ethernet printers that you can connect to your wireless router.
3) USB printers that you can connect to one PC that you share with others.
4) Parallel printer, as in 3).

There are also such things as print servers that you can attach to your router that have both Ethernet and USB ports:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-18972-236253.html
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/342521-0-0-225-121.html

The second link describes some of the technology, some probably out of your price range.
Regular Advisor
John L. Miller
Message 3 of 3 (148 Views)

Re: One device to print wirelessly for HP Laserjet 1100 & Laserjet 4 Plus?

There are parallel-to-USB conversion cables available for $25 (less if you do some clever shopping) that will enable you to connect your printers to a print server.

As Dennis observed, most of HP's offerings are very expensive. I have a 175x ($2 at a yard sale) that works very well, but it's not wireles. HP also offers the 2101nw for around $50, but unless you connect it to one of the very few printers with which they claim compatibility (even though it supports almost any USB printer), they won't support it. My 2101nw has other issues (will only operate on an 802.11b network - not 802.11g, as claimed) and repeatedly drops its connection, but other owners seem to have had better luck with that model. I'd suggest you investigate one of those offered by LinkSys, NetGear, D-Link, or the like.

- John
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.