Laserjet 8100 Tray 3 won't lift (531 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Bob Waldman
Message 1 of 5 (531 Views)

Laserjet 8100 Tray 3 won't lift

I have a Laserjet 8100N and the Tray 3 will not lift. It makes a noise when the tray is inserted and the feed rollers engage. But the arm does'nt lift. Does anyone know what part needs replaced. I think it is the PIU>

Thanks in advance

Bob
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 5 (531 Views)

Re: Laserjet 8100 Tray 3 won't lift

Bob,

What errors if any do you see on the control panel? Does it SEE tray 3 if you were to do a paper path test? If not then the tray itself could be at fault. If you mean by not lifting that the paper is not lifting, it could be the rollers which would be the easiest to inspect/replace. An engine test will pull from tray3 only. you can give that a try. If you have access to another 8100, swap out tray3.Hope these will lead you in the right direction for determining what is at fault.

Dave
Occasional Contributor
Bob Waldman
Message 3 of 5 (531 Views)

I did try another tray. The control panel just says tray 3 empty. The arm underneith the tray just does not lift like the tray 2.

Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 4 of 5 (531 Views)

For a lifter malfunction a 58.3 error msg would appear.

For paper empty msg on tray 3 the paper flag could be damaged if you haven't already done this here is the instructions: To check this flag without opening Tray 3, use a flashlight to observe the paper out flag. If the paper flag is damaged, replace the paper flag or the paper input tray. If the printer is using Tray 2 or 3 and the message is accompanied by a clicking noise every few seconds, replace the Paper Input Unit Assembly.

Frequent Advisor
Mighty Mouse
Message 5 of 5 (531 Views)

Something I have seen before on the 8100...make sure all 3 pickup rollers are "Snapped" into place on their studs...I seen one that broke loose and caused all kinds of jamming and tray empty messages....
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.