Laserjet 5 usb to ? cable help (198 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 2 (198 Views)

Laserjet 5 usb to ? cable help

I have a laptop with windows 7 and want to connect a laserjet 5 to it. I'm not sure which cable would work. usb to ? Are there any issues I need to worry about later after connecting it? Is there a particular cable that works best?
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 2 (198 Views)

Re: Laserjet 5 usb to ? cable help

Poke,

There are USB to parallel cables out there but they have a tendency to be flakey. Does the LJ5 have a MIO (network card)? If so, just set up a LAN and bingo, you're connected.

The question is, why are you still using a LJ5? Those beasts are, by todays standards, painfully slow. There are plenty of relatively inexpense new LJ's out there and there is an active used machine market for late model (built after 2000) machines that have USB ports for cheap.

One of our customers was using a LJ5 that was dying, we replaced it with a used LJ4350DTN with envelope feeder for $500.00. Checked back two weeks later and asked if there were any problems. Customer said that there was a major problem. . . they didn't know what to do with the Friday afternoons. Seems the reports they printed every Friday afternoon on the LJ5 took to 5:30 or 6:00 to finish. With the LJ4350, they start the job before leaving for lunch and when the get back it's done. Nothing to do for the rest of the afternoon.

Good luck.

ITWorkz
"Everytime you do a good deed, you kick the devil in the butt." Tim Allen
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.