Re: Laserjet 4650 RFU load error (2534 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gordy Carroll
Message 1 of 15 (2,534 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet 4650 RFU load error

I have a laserjet 4650N printer that goes through the memory test and then stops and displays "RFU load error, resend RFU over parallel port". I am able to access the cold reset menu but nothing happens when I try to do a cold reset. The same error message comes back. Any thoughts??
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 2 of 15 (2,534 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4650 RFU load error

RFU = Remote Firmware update.
It sounds like you need to reflash the firmware using the parallel port.

Was someone doing this and interrupted it ?
From the sound of your error it sounds like it was being updated and got stopped part the way through.

Get the firmware and update it via the instructions given with the firmware and you should be ok.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Occasional Visitor
Gordy Carroll
Message 3 of 15 (2,534 Views)

Thanks Kevin,
What is strange about this is that no one that I know of was doing a firmware update. The message just magically appeared one day! After downloading the firmware, finding a parallel cable, and following the directions we were able to get the printer back up and running. Thanks for your help.
Occasional Visitor
andrew nance
Message 4 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I have the same error for the second time now!
Can this be done through another port?
I do not have a parallel cable that can connect to this printer's port.
The first time I had this error, I got it done via USB. It won't take it this time...
Occasional Visitor
Mark Tilley_1
Message 5 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I too have the same problems with this printer. I do not have a parallel cable that fits, but some one said they did this with USB, can you tell me how you did this please?
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
jma
Message 6 of 15 (2,534 Views)

Hello,
upgrade with port USB,see this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00372158

hope this helps
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
jma
Message 7 of 15 (2,534 Views)

Occasional Visitor
Gordy Carroll
Message 8 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I was only able to do this with a parallel cable. A standard bi-directional cable should do the trick.
Occasional Visitor
Dawn_31
Message 9 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I however, am working on a network cable. I have reset the printer and I have also, removed the jetdirect card to reseat and I am still getting the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Dawn
Occasional Visitor
Coron
Message 10 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I have also, for a laser jet 4650, the message
Downld file now
rfu load error
resend rfu over
parallel port
I have followed the indications for USB port given on
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00372158
It seems that the .rfu file was copied. But nothing happen on the control panel and the printer does not work.
Help will be greatly appreciate.
JMC
Occasional Visitor
markoe
Message 11 of 15 (2,534 Views)

I had this problem, the solution for me is the get the firmware chip replaced.
Advisor
Martin Geil
Message 12 of 15 (2,534 Views)

FYI, I had the same problem and did the same thing that Coron did (USB cable to PC, create and share the printer), but initially I was getting print job errors. I rebooted the PC, then tried printing again. This time the printer status on the PC showed "offline", and the job just sat in the queue (the printer was sitting at the RFU error msg on its front panel). I physically pulled the USB plug from the printer, then reinserted it, and voila! The queued RFU file was sent to the printer, the printer data light flashed for about a minute or two, then the printer rebooted itself and now works great.
I also noticed that the firmware release notes for v7.6.0 (12 Jun 2007) state that it fixes a problem that sounds very similar to this RFU error.
Cogito Eggo Sum (I think, therefore, I am a waffle)
Occasional Visitor
Paul Lichtenstein
Message 13 of 15 (2,534 Views)

The link for instructions on how to do the firmware upgrade using either a parallel or USB cable are no longer posted. Where else can I get it?
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 14 of 15 (2,534 Views)

Instructions should be included in the readme.txt file that is downloaded with the rfu file and should appear in the same directory as the rfu file.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 15 of 15 (2,534 Views)

For info as well guys - we're getting quite a few USB/network printers needing firmware updates and need to take them off the network and update locally on USB.
One of the key points is to make sure you have a driver installed locally so the printer and PC have an active USB link and association. It's logical as if you had something like a USB pen drive you would not see it unless it had an association on the USB port to the computer.

In many cases you can then use the Easy firmware updater which lists all the printers attached to your PC and it's pretty straight forwards after then.

If you don't have an association on the USB port then things can be a little challenging.

I've had two this week where engineers struggled then installed the local driver and they all went without a hitch.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.