Laserjet 4 Plus - wrinkling/creasing envelopes/smudging print (210 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Douglas R. Boyd
Message 1 of 5 (210 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet 4 Plus - wrinkling/creasing envelopes/smudging print

Hi...This was posted once but my description was too sketchy. So, wanted to try again.
===========================================
When printing envelopes, my LJ4+ always puts
creases and wrinkles in the lower left corner of the envelope - and - almost always smudges or smears the print of the address or the return address. However, it prints 8 1/2 x 11 sheets perfectly with no smudging of the print.

Is this normal for a laserjet 4 plus? Do I have to live with this or is there a way to corrrect it? (my laserjet III did not do this)

Information Note: My laserjet 4 plus is brand new. When I got it 2 months ago, it had never been used...it was still in the original factory packaging (it was government surplus and had never been taken out of the box). Based on that, I assumed my pickup roller must be in perfect shape.

Also, I have taken my LJ4+ to my local laser printer repair shop - they found nothing that needed replacing - and didn't know anyway to adjust the printer to correct the problem.

Thanks for your help, Doug
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 2 of 5 (210 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4 Plus - wrinkling/creasing envelopes/smudging print

Doug,

There is one thing I forgot to mention in my reply to your other thread. Make sure the rear door is open for your envelope to exit the printer. This makes the paper path that the envelope takes through the printer a little straighter.

It is also important to use envelopes designed for laser printing, which Ken suggested in the other thread. For one thing, ordinary envelopes tend to seal themselves shut because of the fuser heat.

If you are still having a problem on Monday, I will try a few envelopes in various LJ4+s at work. I will need to check with the secretaries, but I think we usually print on sheets of laser labels, and stick them on the envelopes.

Regarding the LJIII, I believe the paper path for envelopes is much straighter, compared with the 4+. They are very different printers. This is from memory; we have not had any LJIIIs in service for a few years.

Please let us know how it turns out.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Honored Contributor
Ken Chahley
Message 3 of 5 (210 Views)

Jay, he can't exit the rear on a 4+ unless he overides the sensor flag. I've experienced this problem on 4's & 4+'s...envelope type & humidity have a lot to do with it, along with the fact that the feed is on the far side. The HP III is center feed + it has a rear (straight thru) path. Any 4+ with an envelope feeder I've seen, never has a problem.
When in doubt, check your manual:)
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 4 of 5 (210 Views)

Ken,

Thanks for setting me straight. That must be what yzer4 is talking about in this link:

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd00e8f960573d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

I was confusing the LJIII with the 4+. I guess you can tell I rarely print on envelopes.

check Facebook
Honored Contributor
Jay Bollyn
Message 5 of 5 (210 Views)

Doug,

Today I tested printing envelopes (size COM 10) on three different LJ4+, using the built-in multi-purpose tray.

LJ4+ #1:
--------
The printer would pick up the envelope, only draw about 1", then report PRINTER JAM. This happened time and again.

LJ4+ #2:
--------
This printer would not even try to pick up the envelope. The pickup roller would not turn, despite the printer control panel prompting for manual feed.

LJ4+ #3:
--------
This printer printed envelopes just fine. I was just using ordinary inter-office envelopes. They would curl a bit, and also wrinkle somewhat. Also the glue stuck a little bit. But the print quality was OK. Several envelopes were tested.

check Facebook
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.