LaserJet 4200 error, 68.0 (86 Views)
Occasional Visitor
William Vorbroker
Message 1 of 8 (86 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 4200 error, 68.0

I recently replace a fuser on a LaserJet 4200 that physically wore out. After installing the new part, the printer initializes to a "68.0 permanent storage write fail". I don't know how to clear this. I have reseated the DIMMS and checked the configuration, as suggested by HP's website, but still no cure. I don't know how to proceed. I even successfully updated the firmware, and still the error.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 8 (86 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4200 error, 68.0

William,

Try these suggestions on this link:

http://www.advancedlaser.net/errorcode/error_68.htm

Read the attachment for more instructions emphasizing the "caution" and "note". Unfortunately you no doubt won't be able to print a config and menu map page but hopefully you have done this prior to the error.

I fail to see how the fuser could have caused this but you can try putting back the original before trying the NVRAM init.

Dave
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
William Vorbroker
Message 3 of 8 (86 Views)

I'm not sure how a fuser would have caused this error either. I swapped the faulty part back into the printer and got the same error.

I'm not sure how to initialize the NVRAM on HP printers.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 4 of 8 (86 Views)

Click on the paper clip attachment on my other post for instructions.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
William Vorbroker
Message 5 of 8 (86 Views)

I successfully initialized the NVRAM, but unfortunately this did not clear the error. Am I to assume that my only option now is to replace the formatter board for several hundred bucks?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 6 of 8 (86 Views)

Unfortunatly that seems to be the case. The only other thing I can think of is to try an engine test. This will print parallel lines, bypassing the formatter. Stick a non-metalic object (toothpick is good) into the small hole on the side of the printer. If it is sucessful, it proves without a doubt that the formatter, or something on the formatter is faulty.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
William Vorbroker
Message 7 of 8 (86 Views)

Thank you very much for your help. I hate to order parts and not be sure that it's what I really need. I'm making the transition from support Lexmark laser printers to HP laser printers and these forums are new to me. Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 8 of 8 (86 Views)

Glad to be of help. Too bad it wasn't happier news.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation