LaserJet 4100N stuck on"initializing" (2628 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Latman
Message 1 of 6 (2,628 Views)

LaserJet 4100N stuck on"initializing"

How can I get this printer back online? The only button that works is the power button. Otherwise, this printer, which was working fine until late last week, just sits in this state.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 6 (2,628 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4100N stuck on"initializing"

Bruce,

Take out the jetdirect card and power up. If it goes to READY, the JD card is faulty. If it still doesn't come up to READY, try an engine test. If it prints, then the formatter or the dimms are at fault. Reseat all and try again. If still not corrected, the formatter or the dimms should be replaced.

Dave
Occasional Visitor
Susan Lambert
Message 3 of 6 (2,628 Views)

I have seen this happen with color laser printers. Have you tried moving the power cord to a different power outlet? I was told by HP tech support that there was not enough volts (I think I got the correct) on the particular outlet I was using. Once I moved it, it started working for me.
Advisor
Aaron Case
Message 4 of 6 (2,628 Views)

You might also try reseating the firmware Dimm (the one in the bottom slot) and if you have more than one stick of memory installed remove them one at a time to see if any of them are causing your issues. In order to boot though you must have the firmware DIMM installed and 1 memory DIMM.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Latman
Message 5 of 6 (2,628 Views)

I pulled the Jetdirect card, and the printer made it all the way to "ready" again.

I obviously need to replace it, or get a Jetdirect print server.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 6 of 6 (2,628 Views)

Glad it is resolved. Before purchasing anything, you can put the card back and try again. You can even try performing a cold reset with the card installed. You will then have to put back the original settings and test it again.

Dave
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.