Re: LaserJet 2100 won't print with Tray 3 installed (442 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Message 1 of 8 (442 Views)
Accepted Solution

LaserJet 2100 won't print with Tray 3 installed

Hello,

This started out as an isolated issue, but we now have two LaserJet 2100 (2100TN) printers that have the same problem.

Both of the printers have a third paper tray (Tray 3) installed. When you try to print something using the default "automatic" tray selection, from which Tray 2 should be used, the printer cranks up, the pickup rollers in Tray 2 turn (but no paper is picked up) and the Attention Light comes on. The printer would work fine printing from Tray 1 ("manual feed" tray). After some trial and error troubleshooting with the first printer, if Tray 3 is removed from the printer (not the assembly, just the paper tray itself), it picks and prints from Tray 2 with no problem. Switching trays had no effect. Not even switching trays with a different printer.

I was frustrated with the first printer, so I didn't fully troubleshoot the issue... I don't know if removing the Tray 3 assembly changed anything. Now that I think about it, I didn't see if removing Tray 2 enable printing from Tray 3, either. Once I got the printer to print from Tray 2 without an issue, I went on to other issues.

Does anyone have ideas as to what's happening or what to try to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Craig
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 8 (442 Views)

Re: LaserJet 2100 won't print with Tray 3 installed

Hi Craig,
Try a following doc:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl08187&prodTypeId=18972&pro...

And another Known Issue for HP LaserJet 2100 Series Printers - Cannot Print from Tray 2 or Tray 3

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl07278&prodTypeId=18972&pro...

Hope this HP Referance link provide enough information to resolved your issue.
if the problem still presist,Let's know.
Regards,
Nkassas

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Trusted Contributor
Message 3 of 8 (442 Views)

Thanks, Nkassas,

But, these don't appear to be the issue.

The printers are not connected to the PCs via parallel cable, but to the network. The issue was global and occurred if the print job came from the PC or from the printer (trying to print a configuration or demo page, using the Go and Job Cancel buttons).

I had printed a configuration page (from Tray 1) and both Tray 2 and Tray 3 were shown and were UNLOCKED.

I had previously checked the paper guides to make sure they were correct, and the printer printed from either paper tray installed in Tray 2.

I probably won't be able to get to either printer before Monday morning, but I sure would appreciate any further suggestions to resolve this issue.

Craig
Honored Contributor
Message 4 of 8 (442 Views)

Hi Caraig,
I think you pass through Seconed Referance link and check all steps Except S/W driver Setting Pls Read a an instruction Point(6) At my previous message ...

If the Self Test/Configuration page prints correctly from Tray 2/Tray 3, verify that the correct paper source settings are set within the HP LaserJet 2100 print driver.

NOTE: When troubleshooting Tray 3, make sure that a check mark is in the box labeled, "250-sheet paper tray," in Printer Properties in Paper Handling Options otherwise paper not feeding from Printer driver from Tray 3...

Pls,Let's know a Result
Regards,
Nkassas

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Respected Contributor
Message 5 of 8 (442 Views)

With tray 2 installed lift up the tray and see how much movement there is. Next remove tray 2 and look at the printer frame where the paper tray slides on. You may see some wear on the black frame which means when the tray is installed it is hanging lower than it should which would cause the problem of the pickup roller roller rotating but not feeding paper. There is no HP fix for this as you can't buy a replacement frame. A fix I have used is to fashion a metal piece in the shape of an "L" and screwed it into place. This is a bit tricky as there is very little room between the frame and the paper tray side.

Another problem may be the plate lifters in the tray are broken. There should be two lifters, one for each side of the tray.

I hope this helps.
Trusted Contributor
Message 6 of 8 (442 Views)

Nkassas,

The configuration page does NOT print from Tray 2 unless Tray 3 is removed. It doesn't matter if the print job comes from a PC or the printer (pressing Go for a demo page or Go and Job Cancel for a configuration page), jobs won't print from Tray 2 with Tray 3 installed. I'm not trying to print from Tray 3. I'm not trying to specify either Tray 2 or Tray 3 -- just the default "Automatic" paper tray selection, which should pull from Tray 2. The settings are there and available in the printer properties.

Gordon,

I haven't gotten back to either printer yet to take a look, but if what you say is the issue, why does removing Tray 3 allow printing from Tray 2? I don't see a connection...

Thanks,

Craig
Advisor
Message 7 of 8 (442 Views)

The reason that it works is because, when tray 3 is installed, IT is the default paper source. So when you take away the source, the default becomes tray 2. As for taking tray 2 out while trying to print from tray 3, that WILL NOT work. The way these printers are designed, you have to have the tray installed, whether it has paper in it or not. I would check several things, and please don't be offended if I inadvertently insult your intelligence. I have been bitten recently with the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) rule recently. 1)Have you checked the pickup roller? Is it smooth at its' pickup spot on the roller? 2)Is the paper tray popping up when you install the tray into the printer? 3)Hve you tried switching the whole assembly with another one that works properly (if you have one)? 4)Have you tried a cold reset of the printer? (If you do this, I recommend that you take out the jetdirect card first, or else you will reset the card settings as well.) To do this, you turn off the printer, then press and hold the JOB CANCEL button. Turn the printer power back on and after all the LEDs come on release the JOB CANCEL button. A cold reset changes most system parameters in NVRAM to the factory defaults. The JOB CANCEL button must be released within 20 seconds after all of the LEDs come on; otherwise, an NVRAM initialization is performed instead of a cold reset. 5)Last but not least, make sure that you have the correct type of driver selected, and that someone hasn't changed it on you. I found out one time that some one's driver on their PC had been using the LJ 4 driver, and that it wouldn't print to tray 3 until it was set to the proper driver. In fact, you might want to check this first, as it is the easiest to eliminate. Hope this helps!!
Trusted Contributor
Message 8 of 8 (442 Views)

Thanks, all,

Actually, it turned out to be a tray paper size setting issue. I looked at this to start with, but on the first printer, the paper size was not locked into place and looked as if it was set properly. It would print from either tray inserted into the Tray 2 slot, apparently pulling paper from the only available source, despite the paper size not being set correctly. It wasn't until I had a third printer exhibiting the same issue that I was able to determine the problem, as users were in and out and always seemed to be out when I was available to look at the problem further... :(

Thanks, again. And, sorry for the overlooking of the obvious from the start.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.