Re: LJ4200 - Vertical Light Grey Lines on Prints (238 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chris Smith_24
Message 1 of 8 (238 Views)

LJ4200 - Vertical Light Grey Lines on Prints

I have three HPLJ4200 printers that all have the same problem - Light grey vertical lines appear, top to bottom, on print outs. The lines are in different places on each of the printers and changing the toner cartridge (Q1338A) fixes the problem for about a month or two before the problem reoccurs. If you look at the roller on the bottom of the toner cartridge, you can see a scar on its surface that matches the position of line on the paper. There is usually a line on the transfer roller that lines up too.

I've tried the following:

- I’ve changed toner cartridges and I've tried wiping the lines off the transfer roller. This resolves the problem temporarily but a month of so later the problem returns.

- I've followed the instructions in the "HP LaserJet 4200 and 4300 Series Printers - Correcting print-quality problems" document.

- I've looked through the forums and I can't see that anyone else is having exactly the same problem.

- The toners were bought in two batches so I don't think it's a "bad batch problem" (unless HP had a big problem with this type of cartridge).

- I've looked at the media the users are using to see if the lines correlate to their edges (envelopes, sticky labels, etc) but these do not match up either.

- Everything looks OK inside the printers. The line does not appear to line up with any of the rollers inside.
- I only use genuine HP cartridges and I've even tried installing a maintenance kit in one of them. Again the problem returned a month or so later.

I'm not getting anywhere near 12,000 pages at 5% coverage (taken from the Q1338A spec sheet) out of them before they fail. You can feel they've got plenty of toner left in them.

My best theory so far it that the lines on the transfer roller is damaging the roller in the toner cartridge and visa versa. To this end I'm going to replace the transfer roller when I replace the toner cartridge.

I'm at the point of reinstalling their HPLJ4000/4050's because we didn't (and still don't) have these problems with this older printer.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Do you think HP would (should) warranty the cartridges?

Cheers

Chris
Honored Contributor
Nkassas
Message 2 of 8 (238 Views)

Re: LJ4200 - Vertical Light Grey Lines on Prints

Hi Chris,
After changed toner cartridges and wiping the lines off the transfer roller. it resolves the problem temporarily. That mean Toner cartridge used is fine another issue related to this problem must be Contaminated fuser entrance guide Clean the guide and pressure Roller inside a Fuser Assembly.
You are right it's NOT a "bad batch of Toner Cartridge since you bought in TWO different Patch.

Another line of thinking that can be a "video line" generated by a defective formatter. Try Replace formatter Board with Good Condition One and check Printing for long print Job.

Also After you change a Maintenance Kit Worn fuser film
1.) Set the fuser to a lower temperature mode.
Note:/ To prevent the print-quality problem, reduce printing on large volumes of narrow media, such as envelopes. Instead,alternate smaller volumes of narrow media with full-page printing jobs.

Pls CheckUp an attachement file for Most Common Replaced Part for HP LJ 4200

hope this info clear a situation and resolved an issue.Let's Know a result.
Cheers,
Nkassas

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Occasional Visitor
Chris Smith_24
Message 3 of 8 (238 Views)

Hi Nkassas,

Thanks for you reply. I'll work though your suggestions and let you know how the results. In the meantime I've got a bit more information and a few questions. Cleaning the transfer roller only improves the print quality when the scarring on the toner roller is light. Once the scarring is heavy, no amount of cleaning will improve the output until another toner is installed. I think the crux of this problem in understanding how this toner roller could be damaged. Any ideas?

Do you expect to only see the "video line" problem at the end of long print jobs or can this problem be seen on single page print jobs? My problem appears on the first page of any print job, long or short.

You mentioned a few points about the fuser. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the paper passes from the paper tray, between the transfer roller and toner roller and then passes thought the fuser. If the fuser is the last component the paper passes though, is it still possible for it to cause the problem (i.e. the prime suspect; the heavy scarring on the toner roller)?

I actually have a service kit (very hard to get hold of in the UK at the moment. I have wondered why) so I'm going to replace just the fuser unit in a problem printer and see what sort of effect this has on the output. I'll post my results.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards

Chris
Occasional Visitor
Chris Smith_24
Message 4 of 8 (238 Views)

Hi,

I have changed the fuser unit and it made no difference at all to the print problem. Also the old fuser unit looks to be in good condiftion and there are no marks on the visable rollers inside it.

Regards

Chris
Honored Contributor
Nkassas
Message 5 of 8 (238 Views)

Hi Chris,
After you change Maintenance-kit and Fuser Assembly with good condition and vertical lines still appear , since you allready change a toner cartridge (Good Patch)

I think You need to make Test Called Half test for checkUp where a problem occured when paper Pass BTW Transfer Roller and Toner Cartridge [ Drum -PhotoConductor Surface inside Toner ] Or When it Pass through Fuser[ Fuser Film Seleeve]. Whatever Short Or Long Job.

MeanWhile Pls CheckUp a link down for more details information

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl12453#N10AA3

Look at possiable action to solve a Vertical lines issue if the problem still presist then As I mention a Wrong Video Signal Generated By Formatter Board PCA -Whatever Short Or Long Print Job it Should ocuured Within First Page Print Out .
Attachement file post before include a Part-No for I/O ( Formatter Board ) for order and replacement.

Cheers,
Nkassas

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 6 of 8 (238 Views)

Changing the fuser will have no effect on this fault, your problem is happening before the fusing stage so you need to look at why it's happening.

1st - are your cartridges official HP cartridges ?
2nd - what are you printing ? if your printing small media or envelopes all the time then you can create this issue.

The half test will confirm the fault lies with the cartridge but as you say there is a visible defect on the drum surface, this is the area that needs your attention and once the answer to 1 and 2 are known it may help find a solution.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Occasional Visitor
Chris Smith_24
Message 7 of 8 (238 Views)

Hi,

I am using genuine HP cartridges and the printers print mostly A4 and envelopes. I have an new theory on this problem. The secretaries are using self seal envelopes and I think some of the glue on the sealable flap might be coming off the paper and on to the rollers. To this end I have asked them to try using a different type of envelope to see if this resolves the problem.

Thanks for all your comments so far and I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

Cheers

Chris
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 8 of 8 (238 Views)

It may be, but check if the envelopes meet the printers requirements.

I have experienced similar issues with poor envelopes and had to tell some quite high class people (one was a Lord) that their envelopes were not good!

Worth checking though as in the long term they would cause a lot of expense and it may be cheaper to switch to a different envelope brand.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.