Re: LJ 4250tn having trouble printing custom envelopes to env feeder (81 Views)
Valued Contributor
Joe_371
Message 1 of 7 (81 Views)

LJ 4250tn having trouble printing custom envelopes to env feeder

Hi all,
Here's the situation. Two clients printing to the 4250tn via standard TCP/Ip port doing Mail Merge envelopes from Word, anywhere from 200 to 800 at a shot. The envelopes are a custome size and the clients have everything set up properly. What happens is the printer wants to print from Tray 1. If the job is forced to the envelope feeder, it will only print one at a time and the user has to press the button on the printer after each one to get the next one to print. Client PC's are Win XP no SP2 installed. Have also had the customer try using the newest PCL6, PCL5e and PS drivers from the HP site. Firware was upgraded to most current version as well. Could this be a software/template issue?
Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.
TIA
Joe
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
brian smith_30
Message 2 of 7 (81 Views)

Re: LJ 4250tn having trouble printing custom envelopes to env feeder

Hi Joe
It sounds as though the printer doesn't know that the envelope feeder is there or, that there are envelopes in the feeder. I suggest you try cleaning all the sensors within the feeder unit especially the one near the two rear feed rollers as this is the one that detects media in the feeder.
Let us know

Brian
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 3 of 7 (81 Views)

How are you forcing the print to the enveloper feeder ?
Have you configured the print driver to say there is an envelope feeder ?
You also say the envelopes are a custom size - what size are they in mm ?
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Joe_371
Message 4 of 7 (81 Views)

Hi Guys,

We've checked and cleaned all sensors, rollers are all good. Config page shows envelope feeder installed.
I guess what I mean by forced is when the user sends a print job she is specifically selecting envelope from all available options. It then will go to the envelope feeder but only print one at a time.
I just found out that they had been doing this type of mass mail merge envelope process using a LJ 2100 before. Could this be an issue? And would it be possible they may have to set up a new way of doing the mass mail merge for the 4250?
J
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Wesley Staal
Message 5 of 7 (81 Views)

Hi,

I also would like to print a custom envelopesize to the 4250 envelopefeeder. It doesn't seem to be possible to add a custom size to the feeder.
The available sizes the feeder can handle are;
- any size
- envelope #10
- monarch
- C5
- DL
- B5

When I try to print any other size, the printer will try another paper tray! IS there any option to add a custom papersize to the feeder?

thanks in advance,

Wesley
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 6 of 7 (81 Views)

Wesley the ANY setting is not any size its any TYPE i.e rough, smooth etc.
the envelope feeder only supports

Com10 (105mm x 241mm)- default setting
Monarch (98mm x 191mm)
C5 Envelope (162mm x 229mm)
DL Envelope (110mm x 229mm)
B5 Envelope (176mm x 250mm)

I suspect the printer is resorting to the one at a time method as it believes the media is custom size and not within its supported sizes so switches to tray 1 which does support custom media sizes (but not custom envelope sizes).

Be aware that the printer will alter settings to work on envelopes, if it is set to custom paper size but you feed envelopes then your tricking the printer a bit, it may work but you will have to see if the quality is as good.
If it was down to me I would definately give it a go and set Tray 1 to a custom paper size and try that rather than the envelope feeder to feed envelopes, if it works then you know that the envelope was a non standard size and the printer was treating it as custom media.

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing, its not that easy to explain.
Sort version, remove envelope feeder, try tray1 for envelopes but set it as custom paper size the same size as the envelopes.
See if it works.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Wesley Staal
Message 7 of 7 (81 Views)

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply! We are already using tray 1 to print a custom envelope size. The reason why we would like to print a custom envelopesize using the feeder is to have all our production printers configured the same way, so an operator can replace a printer when it is malfunctioning.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation