Re: Is my Laserjet 1012 dead : ) (1841 Views)
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 1 of 16 (1,841 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is my Laserjet 1012 dead : )

Hi, I have had a trusty 1012 in active duty for several years moderate usage. It has white fade-out streaks now and i
have cleaned the paper path as well as replaced toner cart.

Is this repairable or a lost cause? The "tracks" are about 2"
in from each side of the page, and about 1" wide each.

Thanks a ton!

Mike
Esteemed Contributor
Stuart A. Woods
Message 2 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Re: Is my Laserjet 1012 dead : )

you might have to clean the scanner optics thats the next place you can clean / replace.
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 3 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion .. I will do some digging but presumably this is something i can learn to do from whatever service manual exists for this model - will check into it and give it a try.

Thanks again,

Mike
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 4 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Hi, I have searched and not found detail on how to clean the Scanner Optics on the LJ 1012.

Could you advise on details re: how to do this?

Currently, running Leopard OS I do not have any utility software that I know of that allows cleaning - unless HP has released something newer... but i don't know if this
involves disassembly.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 5 of 16 (1,841 Views)

This is not done by software. You have to remove the top cover and the black box is the laser/scanner. You remove and turn over and there is a mirror that needs to be cleaned.
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 6 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Ah, thanks for that...

While i'm here..btw. I see there's a separate issue here re: using this model with Leopard which explains a few other oddities since I upgraded my OS..
I often now have to shut the printer off and on after sending a print command before it will recognize and complete the command. Did HP ever formally address this issue?

Thanks!
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 7 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Well,actually more helpful to me would be the following - I am just trying to scope out how to disassemble as you describe to clean the mirror. Is there a visual diagram anywhere that I could reference to clarify which section to remove? If by The top cover you
are referring to the darker grey piece that swings open to enable installation of the toner cartridge i understand. There is also, though the rear panel - so i guess i'm not clear if you mean the cover you are looking at if you were looking down at printer - or the one facing the rear (next to the on/off switch)

Thanks for any clarification! Greatly appreciate!

Mike
Regular Advisor
Mark Ciros
Message 8 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Hey Mike
go to this site and download the service manual. It had a section remove and replace
http://image1products.com/techdocs.new/HP.htm
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 9 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Thanks Mark!
Regular Advisor
Mark Ciros
Message 10 of 16 (1,841 Views)

Your Welcome.
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 11 of 16 (1,806 Views)

though must say based on what i just read in the service manual this is a pretty complex take-apart - for me anyway...basically deconstructing most of the printer to get at this mirror... or am i missing something?

(obviously i do not repair printers for a living : )
Regular Advisor
Mike Miller_8
Message 12 of 16 (1,806 Views)

Look at the LJ 1012 user guide. Find your printing problem using the pictures provided and follow the instructions to resolve.

I would have attached the PDF but it's too big.

http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&lk=1&la=en&nh=10&rf=0&qs=&tridion=0&hpvc=sitewide...
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 13 of 16 (1,806 Views)

Thanks Mike - That's okay. Did try those steps and looks like i gotta try the hardware cleaning or just toss this one...

Definitely was a workhorse!
Occasional Advisor
mike shepherd_2
Message 14 of 16 (1,806 Views)

Well! My HP 1012 is a disassembled pile of parts waiting for trash pick-up! Obviously
this simple 'cleaning of the scanner optics'
is not a simple job.

This stuff is what printer-repair shops do for a living - not me. I mean yeah, I can spend hours tearing down the machine to the level of individual parts - but at that point...what IS the point? This is a classic example of what HP and countless other corporate entities have intentionally devised - a product which cannot be self-serviced - therefore necessitating more junk hardware for landfills and the ideal of disposability in the interest of profit/greed.

Thanks for the help here but i challenge anyone to support an argument that the process of self-repair in this instance is realistic. HP got my "x" number of pages of usage and disposal of the product in hopes of garnering another purchase of another HP printer. If I'm wrong, feel free to elaborate your POV. Arrrgh.

Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 15 of 16 (1,806 Views)

Unfortunately the 1012 is a "reduced strategy" printer, it's value is below the engineer time needed to repair so any repair outside a 15 minute window normally invokes a replacement or end of life scenario.

your comments are quite apt, with a smaller printer like this your often left with a complex tear down and a pile of parts, similar in my mind to a strip down on something like a camcorder.
On the larger printers the items are more modular and they are built for service.

I've not seen your post until today, I would have visually inspected areas such as fuser and performed a half test (stop the printer half way through a test print) to determine if the defect is being formed on the drum or not.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Esteemed Contributor
Stuart A. Woods
Message 16 of 16 (1,802 Views)

Has this problem been solved?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.