HP P2015 Firmware Upgrade Problem (7187 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Mark Warwick_1
Message 1 of 9 (7,187 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP P2015 Firmware Upgrade Problem

Hello

Can anyone advise about the following?

I have been having communication problems with an networked P2015 printer so wanted to upgrade the firmware to see if it would resolve the problem. The current version on the printer is from 2006 and I found a link on the HP site: http://www.hp.com/pond/firmware/hidden/P2015FWUpg20070810.html and have followed the instructions, attempting to update via USB. Unfortunately, the update indicator light (with a roller icon?) sticks on flashing amber on and off far too long (I let it run up to 30-45 mins) and the update never completes. Does anyone have an idea on what the problem could be and if there are any other alternative firmware files I could try?

Thanks
Mark
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 2 of 9 (7,187 Views)

Re: HP P2015 Firmware Upgrade Problem

The reason the firmware update is hidden is because it is only given out to authorized support personnel when support identifies the formatter and control chip for which it was designed. This series has had an issue with formatters and the best alternative is to replace the formatter or use it with the issues. There is no authorized firmware that will fix your issue at the present time.
Occasional Contributor
Mark Warwick_1
Message 3 of 9 (7,187 Views)

I'm going to get the formatter changed as mentioned, having found an older thread that discusses the same problem. Thanks
Honored Contributor
dicka
Message 4 of 9 (7,187 Views)

There are 2 solutions for flashable and non-flashable units.

Check to see if the customer has the firmware that we can flash. Print a configuration page from the printer by holding the go button until the go light and ready light begin to flash. Check the Formatter Number listed under Product Information on the configuration page. If the 3rd digit from the left is a 2, 1 or 0 the firmware can be flashed.

The customer can also check the Formatter Number from the Embedded Web Server (EWS) or Toolbox FX. From either application the formatter number can be found under Status , Device Configuration , Formatter Number .

If it is desired to verify the update, a configuration page can be printed from the printer. To print a configuration page press and hold the go button (approximately 5 seconds) until the printer LED's begin to flash. Release the go button, and the configuration pages will print. The configuration page will display the current firmware revision in the Product information block.

For flashable units updated with FW update utility, Firmware Datecode: 20080312 .

For non-flashable units updated with FW/Font DIMM (Combo DIMM), Firmware Datecode: 2XX80312 .
NOTE: FW code itself is the same, but with different datecode due to different way of update.
For Non-flashable units
If the customer has firmware that can not be flashed the product will need to be upgraded with a new FW/Font DIMM. New FW/Font DIMM is available in the service channel.

A FW/Font DIMM is also available to order from the following web site: http://supportparts.corp.hp.com/americas/us/pcc/ (click on LJ P2015 in the left navigation bar). This site is only accessible from within HPâ s firewall and can be used to request the combo DIMMâ s WW. For customers that contact the call center the FW/Font DIMM is available as a CRU part.

NOTE: The description on the web site http://supportparts.corp.hp.com/americas/us/pcc/ is out of date at this point as it only states it is for LJ2015 Font DIMM. We will update it in the near future.
For flashable units
The FW update utility is available at http://www.hp.com/pond/firmware/hidden/P2015FWUpg20080312.html .

If the link is not available, please order FW/Font DIMM.

NOTE: Please do NOT replace formatter to resolve the issues as symptoms listed above.
Occasional Visitor
Chapel
Message 5 of 9 (7,187 Views)

I've tried this on 3 printers:
1 JK5 (network)
1 JK2 (network)
1 JK4 (USB)

none take the update to 20080312
The update goes through, I get the smiley face and the 'paper jam' light just stays flashing until I reboot it. when I reboot, it works fine, but the update hasn't taken.

I have about 25 of these on the network and another 25 set up with USB.
most of the network ones seem to turn off at night and won't turn back on until the next day by forcing a hard reset.
Occasional Visitor
dessyboy
Message 6 of 9 (7,187 Views)

We also have a number of these printers and are having issues with them going offline after being idle for some time.

Are there any fimware updates etc available to fix this issue yet. Otherwise will replacing the offending part be covered by warranty?
Occasional Visitor
tom lafleur
Message 7 of 9 (7,187 Views)

Mark, How can a mere end user get a copy of the flash Dimm..

I have 5 printers that have issues, all are out of warranty.

please replay if you can...

Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 8 of 9 (7,187 Views)

Torn,

Forget about it. Unless someone starts a class action lawsuit there is no fix right now. HP only provides new formatters for printers under warranty and it is impossible to get a good formatter in the aftermarket. Most available have problems. Firmware or special chips will not solve the issues as a replacement of the formatter is the only solution. This has been a really bad series and unfortunately hp refuses to step up to the plate and correct the situation.
Occasional Contributor
Mark Warwick_1
Message 9 of 9 (7,187 Views)

If anyone is still interested, I got around the P2015 network printers issues by using an alternative printer driver, namely the universal printing option for this model off the HP site. This allows duplex printing and up to now has worked without a problem. Mark
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.