HP Laserjet 4 Plus-scanner cleaning (179 Views)
Occasional Advisor
IAN_2
Message 1 of 9 (179 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Laserjet 4 Plus-scanner cleaning

Please does anyone know how to do the above
Thanks
Ian
Valued Contributor
brian smith_30
Message 2 of 9 (179 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 4 Plus-scanner cleaning

It's not a difficult job but it is a delicate one.Remove the whole top of the printer by removing the r/h side panel this reveals a screw at the back also remove screw from leftside just under top,now go to top of lid and remove screw from under lid(r/h).Just at front edge of top you will see two slots these are the clips that hold the front of the top on put a thin screwdriver in this slot and gently ease the top off by pushing the clip away and then do the same on the other one.
Having got the top off you will see a black plastic cover in the centre of the printer held on with several screws, under here is the scanner from here on in be very careful what you do because if you damage the mirrors on this then you will have stuffed your printer totally.Assembly is the reversal of this procedure.
All of this begs the question WHY???
Occasional Advisor
IAN_2
Message 3 of 9 (179 Views)

Dear Brian
Thanks for your reply (10 pts)
I am informed that if print is faded, sometimes opening up the scanner and cleaning the mirrors carefully of dust will bring back the sharpness of the image.
Please can you inform if this is correct?
Yours sincerely
Ian
Valued Contributor
brian smith_30
Message 4 of 9 (179 Views)

Hi Ian
Yes this is correct, but how faint is the image,have you tried gently shaking the cartridge,have you tried another cartridge, is the transfer roller failing(has it got a white coating),try the easy ones first?
Occasional Advisor
IAN_2
Message 5 of 9 (179 Views)

Dear Brian
Thanks for your reply
It isnt too bad just a little faint.
By the way, if the transfer roller has a white coating, does cleaning that roller solve the problem.
What causes this white coating. I have seen this on some.
Is it paper dust?
Ian
Frequent Advisor
John Orme
Message 6 of 9 (179 Views)

Hi,

I have found that the white colour is caused by paper dust. Better quality paper fixes this from building up in the first place. HP tells us that the transfer roller is very delecate and shouldnt be touched or cleaned. However I have cleaned paper dust off them using cotton rags with a good deal of success. It is sensitive to oil and grease from hands so hold it by the metal end. There is also an option to increase the print density in the menu and this can improve the print quality

Johno
Occasional Advisor
IAN_2
Message 7 of 9 (179 Views)

Dear Brian and John
Thanks so much for the additional information .
It is much appreciation
Someone told me its ok to clean the transfer roller with a slightly damp cloth
Could that be the case please?
Trusted Contributor
John Daveson
Message 8 of 9 (179 Views)

Hi Ian,

I have not used a damp cloth before, I usally use a piece of packaging styrofoam. Run the foam up and down the transfer roller, being careful not to touch the roller with your fingers. This takes off excess toner, and gives the roller a slight charge.

Let me know how this turns out.

Cheers
John D
Occasional Advisor
IAN_2
Message 9 of 9 (179 Views)

Dear John
Thanks for your advice. What you call Styrofoam - here in the UK I think we call Polystyrene.
Kind regards
Ian
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.