HP Laserjet 2200D Banding and ghosting problems (341 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Edward Roth
Message 1 of 7 (341 Views)

HP Laserjet 2200D Banding and ghosting problems

I am trying to locate a solution for a customer who has an HP LaserJet 2200D.

I used compressed air to clean the printer, but the test pages come out with banding and ghost images on the page, whether printing to both sides or on a single side of the page.

On the left side of the page at the top where the pocket watch graphic is located, there is a light, ghost image of the duplex page which is located beneath, and three dark horizontal bands over the pocket watch. On the opposite side of the page, the HP logo in the upper right corner of the page is ghosted on the specs graphic beneath.

This problem appears radomly on all test pages.

The customer replaced the toner cartridge in July and has had the problem for the past couple of weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Honored Contributor
Bill Brayford_2
Message 2 of 7 (341 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 2200D Banding and ghosting problems

The fuser is worn and the unit likley needs a maintenance kit.

Print your configuration page. Hold down both buttons at the same time look for page count?
Let us know?
The only good cheap printer is a Pencil. Rest were invented by Salesmen!
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 3 of 7 (341 Views)

Do a Half Print Test:

To test and to isolate the problem, you could do a Half Print Test:

1). Remove the Tray cover from the paper Tray.
2). Press the button on the printer to run a Self Test page.
3). When you see the trailing edge of the paper starts to disappear into the printer, open the cover to stop the print.
3). Carefully remove the toner cartridge and inspect the printout.
4). If you see the ghosting on the paper before it gets through the back, it is your toner cartridge. If you don't see it, it is your Fuser.
5). Carefully remove the paper. Pull it out at the direction of the normal print travel path. If it reaches the Fuser, press the two grey levels at the back to release the Fuser pressure before you pull it off through the back so you don't risk damaging the fixing film.

Dewaine
Occasional Visitor
Edward Roth
Message 4 of 7 (341 Views)

I followed the suggestions posted, installed a maintenance kit on site, and now the printer doesn't work at all. When power is applied, the printer will run a self check as indicated by the LED's cycling, but the motor doesn't spin up and the the reset(?) LED lights up and stays lit.

I'm really at a loss as to why this would happen just by replacing the pick-up roller, separation pad and fuser.

Help!
Occasional Visitor
Edward Roth
Message 5 of 7 (341 Views)

I will have to correct myself. The top LED next to the triangle blinks after the printer does a self check, it does not stay lit. This problem has taken too long to troubleshoot, and I suggested the customer purchase another printer. He's not very happy, but will buy another printer.
Frequent Advisor
Chris_457
Message 6 of 7 (341 Views)

Did you remove the new fuser that came with the maint kit and re-install the old one to see if that corrects the problem?
Possible cause for this, in most cases, is that the fuser is not seated properly, bent power connectors and or defective fuser from the maint kit.
Do not expect that once you receive a maint kit that this will be brand "new" parts, sometimes they are refurbs.

Hope this helps, a little late will not hurt to try again.
Occasional Visitor
Edward Roth
Message 7 of 7 (341 Views)

I immediately reinstalled the old parts when the problem arose, but no luck. The only action the printer takes when power is applied is a self check and the blinking orange light.

The customer opted to purchase a new printer (I installed and set it up two weeks ago), and the old one is now on the floor in our shop with a $200+ maintenance kit sitting on top.

I'm convinced it's a wash.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.