Re: HP LJ P3005 won't work after installing RFU upgrade (2395 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Auster
Message 1 of 21 (2,398 Views)

HP LJ P3005 won't work after installing RFU upgrade

Hello,

A few months ago I bought an HP LaserJet P3005 printer.

Yesterday, I downloaded the new firmware of that printer, and tried to install it using "copy /b ljp3005fw_02.039.3A.rfu LPT1" command, as I was instructed in the manual.
However, the copy failed, probably because I did not have the printer driver installed on LPT1 but only on USB (the printer was connected by both LPT1 and USB to the computer).

Then the printer started saying "RFU LOAD ERROR, SEND RFU UPGRADE; Downld file now, SEND RFU UPGRADE".
I installed the driver on LPT1, tried to send it over and over but it always failed after having sent 64 KB.
I mapped the network address of the USB printer driver to LPT1 on another computer and re-ran the command, it still failed.
I even connected the printer to LPT1 in another computer and it keeps failing.

I found out that if I click on the OK button when the printer was starting up, I could select to "cold reset" the printer, but it did nothing.

I don't think that I can connect to the printer by FTP or HTTP since it doesn't really start up. Also, every time I open up the printer and connect it to USB, it wants me to install an "upgrade" driver.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 2 of 21 (2,398 Views)

Re: HP LJ P3005 won't work after installing RFU upgrade

The driver issue has nothing to do with your problem since the copy /b command does not use the driver but pipes the command directly to the printer. First off I would download the firmware again to make sure the file was not somehow corrupt. I would then extract it to a directory call hp 3005. I would then rename the file hp3500.rfu and then resend the file agian using the same dos command. I would not have the usb cable connected at the time and see if it upgrades ok.
Occasional Visitor
Auster
Message 3 of 21 (2,398 Views)

Hey David,

Thanks for your reply, but it didn't do any good.
I tried to copy the file with and without the driver: with the driver it stops at 64KB ("Error - Printing"), without it, it tries to copy the file for 5 minutes or so, and then says "The system cannot write to the specified device" (on Vista, I also tried on XP and it didn't make any difference).

Do you have any other idea?

Thanks!
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 4 of 21 (2,398 Views)

You are not making sense. If you copy the file correclty there should be no difference if the driver is installed or not. On the xp machine are you going to a dos prompt. If not click on start run and type cmd and hit enter. At the prompt change to the directory which has the firmware file and then type the copy /b filename to lpt1. As i said before the driver has no issue when you use the dos prompt so if you are getting a different reaction with the driver loaded it means you are not doing the command correctly. As I also said in my previous post, download the file again and extract as the original file may be corrupt.
Occasional Visitor
Auster
Message 5 of 21 (2,398 Views)

David,

I did download the file again.

Regarding the driver - both in XP and Vista, when the driver is installed, spooling is turned on (that's the default) and I type "copy /b file LPT1", it says that the file was copied successfully, however it shows it in the printer status window (where you can see all the prints you send). It says "Size: 27.3 MB", and after it stays at 64KB for a couple of minutes, it says "Error - Printing".
If I turn off spooling, then it doesn't complete the copy and reports an error, however even in this case it shows the copy as a print job in the printer status window.
Trusted Contributor
Sys Admin
Message 6 of 21 (2,398 Views)

We had to something similar once for a failed RFU upgrade for a 4250tn printer. What I did is I powered off printer, plugged in parallel from a laptop(you must use parallel, make sure it is IEEE compliant,) and I sent the rfu upgrade at various points during the power on process. Eventually one of the sends worked. The messages on the printer control panel display, if I recall, were not synced up with what was going on on the laptop, either.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 7 of 21 (2,398 Views)

Auster,

I am sorry, but if you send a direct dos print job to lpt1 it does not go thru the print spooler but goes directly to the port. I have never in xp seen a dos print job go into the spooler or seen the printer icon show up with a print job in it but I could be wrong. Again I have never experienced your issue and all upgrades I have done have worked fine for me this way and i have done over 100 of them with this method. Lets me ask a simple question. Are you going to start, run, cmd and then then hit enter. A black box should open with a C:\something directory. It is at that C prompt that you type the cd\LJ3005 and hit enter and if the rfu is in that directory and then at the C:\lj3005 prompt you type copy /b LJ3005.rfu and hit enter if the upgrade file name is LJ3005.rfu
Occasional Visitor
Auster
Message 8 of 21 (2,398 Views)

Sys Admin, thanks, I will try during different times of start up... I'll let you know if it worked of course.

David, yes, I'm doing exactly what you said (except that it's "copy /b LJ3005.rfu LPT1", and not just "copy /b LJ3005.rfu").

Does anyone else have any suggestion?

Thanks.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 9 of 21 (2,398 Views)

Make is real easy. Start the computer is safemode command prompt and then send the job and see what happens. If the printer is receiving the info, then it should display a message in the menu. Is it possible someone is using net use command to redirect output to lpt1 on this computer so it is not actually going to the physical port but someplace else.
Trusted Contributor
Sys Admin
Message 10 of 21 (2,398 Views)

"I am sorry, but if you send a direct dos print job to lpt1 it does not go thru the print spooler but goes directly to the port. I have never in xp seen a dos print job go into the spooler or seen the printer icon show up with a print job in it but I could be wrong. "

They do. First of all there hasn't been a "DOS" in Windows in many years, and it doesn't exist in Windows XP. The command prompt (cmd.exe) is not "DOS."

Secondly, if you send a job through the command prompt you will see the job queued through the print spooler GUI in windows. You can watch it as it spools through.
Advisor
Mark Buffett
Message 11 of 21 (2,397 Views)

I had the same issue with the 3005. The firmware update fails, then the printer reads "RFU LOAD ERROR" "DOWNLOAD FILE NOW" "SEND RFU UPGRADE". This has always worked for me in the past using any xp pc using the cmd prompt. This time however it did not. And as Auster has been saying, it errors when spooling after you send the copy file command. Getting ready to use a 98 pc booting to dos mode and see if the printer will recieve the upgrade. Not sure if the printer will accept it or not. I will update after I try it.
Advisor
Mark Buffett
Message 12 of 21 (2,397 Views)

As I expected, the printer is no longer in an online condition and will not recieve data. Using a win 98 pc in dos mode did not make a difference. How would one write the firmware file when the printer is in this state?
Advisor
Mark Buffett
Message 13 of 21 (2,397 Views)

LOL I found a "white paper" pdf file in the technician area of the CSN website. It explains this error/failure. It explains how to force the rfu file through using the usb port. Going to try that next.
Advisor
Mark Buffett
Message 14 of 21 (2,397 Views)

Ok, the procedure worked using the usb port. The document number on the csn website is "emr na c01235651-1. It is a pdf file that explains how to force the rfu file through the usb port. Baisically you have the driver files on hand, then get the pc to detect new hardware by plugging in the usb cable (I had to do this twice because the first time I did it, it said hardware was installed and ready to use) the second time I plugged in the usb cable, it mentioned something about an hp update when it detected and then launched the found new hardware wizard. From there you tell it your installing a printer. Then you tell it that you have your own driver disk. Browse to the driver and install it. Then once installed, share the printer (the share name can be anything, but keep it simple with no spaces in the name). Then find out what your computer name is. Use whatever computer name that is there but only use the name up to the first decimal point. Once you know the computer name and the share name go to the command prompt and use almost the same copy command, but this time do it this way.......

copy /b C:\folder where rfu is\rfu file name \\computer name\shared printer name

It might work if you just put the rfu file in the root of C, I didnt try that, but it would shorten the command string alittle. Hope this helps, the document explains all this. Good luck!
Trusted Contributor
Sys Admin
Message 15 of 21 (2,397 Views)

Just a followup to this post. I recently had to do this over parallel port and I ran across the same 64K or "incorrect file type" issue. The solution was to change the Parallel port type to " ecp " instead of PS2 or EPP. (You do this via the BIOS on the machine you are attempting this from. Immediately after making this change I was able to upload the RFU and the printer worked fine.
Occasional Visitor
PZR-RD
Message 16 of 21 (2,397 Views)

What is ment with CSN website? I am searching for a solution to get some printers up and running again.

Some give the failure : SEND RFU UPGRADE , but nothing works.

Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 17 of 21 (2,397 Views)

You have to have or establish an account.

http://h30125.www3.hp.com/csn/?hpp
Occasional Advisor
Mihai Lazar
Message 18 of 21 (2,397 Views)

I had the exact same problem.

I have fixed it using a Linux Laptop.

- Connect the the USB from the printer to the Linux machine.
- Reboot Prineter
- look in /var/log/messages for the device file that linux assigned to the USB Printer
in my case was /dev/usblp0
- download the latest FW from HP website
- copy to you home directory the .rfu file
- copy the .rfu file to the printer
sudo cp cp3505.rfu /dev/usblp0
(if you are root you don't need to sun sudo just cp)
- Wait until the file is copied and than the upgrade will take place.
- You can now disconnect your USB cable.

Good Luck

Mihai
Occasional Visitor
labdarier
Message 19 of 21 (2,397 Views)

I had the exact same problem.

I have fixed it using a Mac OS X 10.5

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=es&cc=mx&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=...

Tuve es el mismo problema despues de actualizar el firmware con Windows XP y lo corregi con Mac OS x 10.5 y funciono.

Occasional Visitor
maxwired
Message 20 of 21 (2,397 Views)

It's good that your printer is popping up the Found New Hardware wizard on your pc when you connect a usb cable. That shows that the printer is still trying to finish the firmware upgrade. Contact HP support for the problemm and open a support case. They have the exact procedure to fix this problem. Their documents are copyrighted, so they can't be posted here. If it works, the fix is cheaper than new parts for your printer.
Occasional Visitor
bazilt52
Message 21 of 21 (2,395 Views)

I had the same problem with my CP3505 after a power outage. Had a chat session with HP that was going to cost me $39 only to tell me I needed to take my machine to a dealer. Tried the fix described by labdarier http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=es&cc=mx&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=...
(I am a PC guy but remembered I had a mac laptop) and it worked like a charm.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.