Re: HP 9000 DN as a local printer (126 Views)
Advisor
Paul_615
Message 1 of 6 (126 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 9000 DN as a local printer

Hi,

I am looking at taking one of our HP 9000 DN off the corporate network and setting it up as a local device. Having a quick look around the site it appears that fitting a USB Card (J4135A) may do the trick?
If this card were to be fitted to the printer, would a user running XP Professional be able to connect to the the printer via USB cable and plug and play? (i.e. not have to install drivers)
Many thanks in advance of any answers.
Respected Contributor
Edwin van den Bogert
Message 2 of 6 (126 Views)

Re: HP 9000 DN as a local printer

Hi Paul,

This is what i found.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP - No additional USB driver from HP is necessary. Install the connectivity card and the printer driver, and restart the computer. Windows 2000 will detect the hardware and automatically install its own USB software.

I hope this is the answer you where looking for.

Best regards,
Edwin
Honored Contributor
Nkassas
Message 3 of 6 (126 Views)

Hi Paul,
HP LJ 9000 Connectivity features up to three open enhanced input/output (EIO) expansion slots that support the following cards:
HP Jetdirect EIO cards ,Ethernet (10Base-T, 10Base2),Token Ring ,Fast Ethernet 10/100TX
Universal Serial Bus (USB), Serial
LocalTalk ,Parallel C connection AND
HP Fast InfraRed Connect (fast infrared connection)
so,it's possiable to fitting USB Card(J4135A) But pls be aware about a following issue when Plug and Play And installed HP LJ 900DN directlly to Window-XP USB Port.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=bpj06043&locale=...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=bpj06042&locale=...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=2...

Regards,
Nkassas
There are no short cuts to anything worth doing
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 4 of 6 (126 Views)

You will find as well the 9000 is well behaved with it's EIO cards, it will queue the jobs correctly and you should have no conflicts at all from someone using usb and someone using network.

I ran one with three EIO cards in an not a single hitch from any.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Advisor
Paul_615
Message 5 of 6 (126 Views)

Thanks for the replies.
I have managed to set up the 9000 using a parrallel to usb cable and browse XP for the drivers. I have had to install 8000 series drivers and have managed to print ok. It would appear that there are not going to be any major conflicts.
I will take the advise given here and investigate the usb card option too.
Thanks again.
Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 6 of 6 (126 Views)

I wouldn't advise using a parallel to USB cable on a printer of this calibre.

Install either a PCI USB card or similar that way you will ensure true bi directional chit chat to the printer which is essential for correct operation.
We have used the Parallel to USB cables and found them nothing but trouble, they work OK on slower and simpler models but the high speed printers need something with a bit more to them and the cables so far don't operate reliably for our liking.
If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.