4250 Swing Plate Assembly (656 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Michael Bahr
Message 1 of 16 (656 Views)

4250 Swing Plate Assembly

We have about 50 4250 printers at our firm and in the last 2 months we have had some major issues with swing plate assembleys and fusers. The black gear that is in the swing plate assembley which joins to the fuser is being chewed up because the fuser is not meeting with the gear exactly. As a result of the swing plate gear erosion that dust is getting into the fuser which it is damaging. We have tried running multiple, multiple, cleaning pages. In fact we have even resorted to trying to clean the fuser itself with alcohol pads, but nothing has worked. We now have 7 bad fusers in three months and as we walk the floors of our firm we are hearing more and more grinding which means more are on there way. We did contact HP and explain our situation, however, they said they haven't heard of the problem and when we ordered more swing plate assembley's the gear that they sent us included an extra disc which we installed along with new fusers. This seems to be working, but new fusers are not cheap and should last much longer than this. I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem? Is anyone doing anything differently than swapping out the swing plate assembley gear and the fuser (if it has been ruined by the gear dust)?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 2 of 16 (656 Views)

Re: 4250 Swing Plate Assembly

Michael,

Guess it depends on who you talk with at HP because they are well aware of this problem on both the 4250s and 4350s from a document dated March 2005.

From the first time you hear the sounds there might not be any damage and by reseating the fuser, can eliminate the noise. If it continues, pull the fuser out and see if the blue latch clips on the fuser are intact. If they are then inspect the gear on the fuser and the black gear on the swing plate for wear. Replace one or both if worn.

Dave
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michael Bahr
Message 3 of 16 (656 Views)

We have tried multiple fusers, reseating and nothing has stopped the gear from wearing out. Where can I find this article dated March 2005
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bobby Bowerman
Message 4 of 16 (656 Views)

Just dealt with my first one of those this week. A customer has a 4350 that was making a terrible grinding noise, but printing just fine. Replaced the fuser and the main gear assemblly with no improvement. Going to try the swing plate ass'y next.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Gary Loader
Message 5 of 16 (656 Views)

You have to replace both fuser and swing plate assembly.

The swing plate replacement is a big repair takes about an hour and requires removal of a lot of assemblies. There is a new service note detailing what has to be done on the CSN site.

It will work, we've seen this issue at most of our customers sites.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Stuart A. Woods
Message 6 of 16 (656 Views)

If that much if a problem claim it under warranty for petty sake, and have the ASP to repair if its not then bad luck.

I dont like newer models at all, they cause to many problems.

The quality of laser printers is decreasing.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
BobbyB
Message 7 of 16 (656 Views)

Yup, replacing the swing plate ass'y worked! Royal pain to get to, but it was definately the culprit.

Is there a way we could suggest to HP that a new section for trouble shooting? 'Funny Noises' would really go a long way with quite a few of us techs.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
BobbyB
Message 8 of 16 (656 Views)

"It was possible to 'hear' a grinding noise"??!!
More like it was IMpossible NOT to 'hear'!!
Thanks for the .pdf! I really could have used this exact document 2 weeks ago. Plenty of pictures clearly showing the location of the part as well as the part number.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Deirdre Kelly
Message 9 of 16 (656 Views)

Hi, our customer has about 60 4350 printers and we are starting to have the same problems with the swing plate assembleys. I have some ordered but was just wondering if anyone has a link to the document on CNS that explains how to fit it ??
Thanks,
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
BobbyB
Message 10 of 16 (656 Views)

Here's the offical scoop.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michael Bahr
Message 11 of 16 (656 Views)

There's just one problem with replacing the swing plate, the new gear continues to wear out. We have replaced about 15 swing plate gears so far, and we thought this would fix the problem but it hasn't. So this will only be a temporary fix. Also, for those who have not installed a swing plate yet, GOOD LUCK! You literally have to take half the printer apart. Also, if you look at the "official" HP announcement you find that the only design difference is the black gear that connects with the fuser. It now has a "flange." So taking the entire swing plate out is not necessary. We had a couple of HP reps in our office a couple of weeks ago and they still have not offered us a solid solution.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dave Haro
Message 12 of 16 (656 Views)

I'm all for making things easier out of a difficult process. Next time any of you need to replace the swing plate assy, remove just the bare essentuals (formatter, fuser, covers). Where the formatter was is a hole exposing a black screw to the swing plate. Remove it and pull out the piece (metal axile)the screw came from. Apply gentle force spreading the assy outward to remove the worn black gear careful not to displace the spring and plastic inset that holds the gear. Place the gear from the new assy and the flange into the swing plate and put the metal piece into the hole and replace the screw. If this works, it will eliminate having to take apart a whole bunch of other things to just to get to the position to remove the whole assy.

Let us know if this works.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Michael Bahr
Message 13 of 16 (656 Views)

That's exactly what we do because the swing plate itself is still the same design. The gear is the only thing that has changed. So when the old gear goes bad we replace it and install the "flange" that comes with the new swing plate. However, this is not going to permanently fix the problem. I work at a law firm that does an awful lot of printing and we are starting to see the new gear with the flange wear out. This wear is only after about a month and a half of average to above average printing. So I don't know what type of fix HP can come up with but it needs to be better than the new gear and flange.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MickAZ
Message 14 of 16 (656 Views)

Along with replacing the swing plate [which I concur it is far easier to just replace the gear] there is also an adjustment to the plate assembly under the fuser to allow the fuser to go in a little farther. This plate has three screws on eac side of the frame. Loosen the screws and pitch the plate down and inward to the machine.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Deirdre Kelly
Message 15 of 16 (656 Views)

Thanks alot for all your replys. I haven't received the replacement parts in yet but hopefully all will go well when I do.
Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Deirdre Kelly
Message 16 of 16 (656 Views)

Hi,
Received the replacement swing plates in today, took myself and my colleague about 15 mins to replace just the black gear.
So all in all it wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. But if I had have relied on the HP offical document, it would have taken hours (they tell you to change the whole swing plate)
Thanks for the advise lads.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation