host networking by snmp discovery error (319 Views)
Occasional Advisor
chanson
Message 1 of 6 (319 Views)
Accepted Solution

host networking by snmp discovery error

Hey all,

When performing Host Networking by SNMP I receive the following error message for a couple of devices:

<< Progress message, Severity: Warning>>
No host class defined for oid: '1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.896'. Please add the class name to the oidToHostClass.xml configuration file. SNMP description: Cisco IOS Software....
(truncated for brevity)

The devices are named 6506_vss & 6509_vss; based on naming conventions in the environment I'm guessing the devices are involved in a virtual switching system and they are not fully qualified in RTSM (they remain generic nodes). Any way to get these network devices qualified properly?

More info: product is BSM 9.10, CP 10.02 deployed

Thanks!

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 6 (313 Views)

Re: host networking by snmp discovery error

So did you make appropriate changes in the oidToHostClass.xml configuration file as suggested by the error message to qualify these devices as you want?

Occasional Advisor
chanson
Message 3 of 6 (299 Views)

No, I was looking for an alternative solution and was hoping someone else had run into this problem or a similar one.

I'm not familiar with the process to do so and didn't want to cause more problems by performing surgery on an xml file when I am under-prepared.

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 6 (292 Views)

This procedure (modifying the XML file) is a common one done thousands of times by different customers. You don't need to be a UCMDB expert to do it. But this is the only way to fix your issue. Create a copy before making any changes if you really fear to do it.

Occasional Advisor
chanson
Message 5 of 6 (235 Views)

Dmitry,

Thanks for helping me w/ the .xml file, I ended up adding this line to it:

<oidToHostClass class="switch" vendor="Cisco" model="VSS-1440" oid="1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.896" />

Basically I copied another line an entered the values I wanted into the fields. It worked except the switch still shows as a generic node in rtsm/cmdb. Should this have put it into the switch CI category or is there another way to accomplish that?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 6 of 6 (227 Views)

Remove that generic node from UCMDB and execute your discovery job again. It should now create a CI of type "switch".

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.