Re: View Recommendations? (646 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Message 1 of 23 (646 Views)
Accepted Solution

View Recommendations?

I have had to change our base view for monitoring BPMs twice now. I find myself uncomfortable with the view I have now because user would like to see the top view results of three BPM locations using the same VUgen script. I wasn't able to do this by just adding the three locations to one Business Process Profile. Instead I had to create a new BPP for each BPM location and for each script that is to run at those locations.

Anyone here have a better way or have ideas of how to better accomplish this? Also, would it be possible to get a screenshot if you have a Business Process View similar to those requirements?
HP Expert
Message 2 of 23 (646 Views)

Re: View Recommendations?

I'm not sure I fully understood what kind of view you are trying to build, but have you tried Transaction/Location hierarchy structure for BPM source adapter?
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 23 (646 Views)

Hi Joshua

As Dimitry said you can easily build a view using end user location view if your bpm source adapter has been set to report on transaction/location.

Creating 3 diffrent bpp is realy not the way to go.

Are you new to BAC?

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 4 of 23 (646 Views)

Thank you, I will check this out. I am new to BAC and unfortunately I haven't been able to convince upper management that more training is required. They'd rather us HP funds for hardware than for training.

When we originally took on this product we they paid for 6 weeks of training. At time the foresight wasn't there so, essentially, three products were covered in the training... BAC, Sitescope and Diagnostics. The basics were covered with each it seems. In retrospect, those 6 weeks should have be for BAC for it's a lot more powerful and full of features than I had understood. I still don't have a full grasp of all that can be done with BAC.

I've done what I could to train myself but the PDFs, although informative, aren't the best training guides. I've even searched google for any video (none that I have found) or text tutorials but haven't found anything that helps.

I knew when I was creating the BPMs by location that it didn't feel right or I should have to. I appreciate the info.
Highlighted
Regular Advisor
Message 5 of 23 (646 Views)

it sounds like you might need to use, or copy and adapt, the End User Locations view in Dashboard.

to use that view you will first need to do the following, if you haven't already:

- Click Admin > Universal CMDB > Source Manager
- Click the Edit button for the Business Process source adapter
- Change the hierarchy structure to Transaction/Locations in the Hierarchy Structure parameter.

then, you should be able to use one profile with the three locations assigned to it, and see it the way you want in the dashboard.
Frequent Advisor
Message 6 of 23 (646 Views)

I was just about to ask how to change the heiarchy style... exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all for your help.
Frequent Advisor
Message 7 of 23 (646 Views)

Sorry to bother. This might actually work but it seems to display it in a different order than what I was looking for.

Currently the views follow this pattern:

(Top Down)

View Name
BP Profile
BP Profile from Location
Transactions

I was looking for more like:

View Name
BP Profile from Location
Transactions

Now... would creating a model in that format create the results I'm looking for?
Frequent Advisor
Message 8 of 23 (646 Views)

Here is a screenshot of my attempt at creating a view based on individual BP Profile by locastion. This is the way I attempted to do it before which we agree was wrong. Is there a way to get this type of view when linking one profile to multiple locations?
Honored Contributor
Message 9 of 23 (646 Views)

HI Joshua

With the view/model creator you can almost make a viw with any order you want.

In the view creator you are basically gonna do as follows.

You need the top group as you said which is : View name.

You create this by creating a new group CI and name it whatever you want.

Next you create a new group CI underneath that as well and name it location1(example).

Underneath this to this you create a new group CI and name it Application1(Example).

These 3 CI's will automatically get assigned worst child kpi's.

Now undeneath that you can just add the BPP from location and the transactions.

Hope I did not confuse you.

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 10 of 23 (646 Views)

This seems to accomplish what I want. I never noticed that you could remove related CIs when you were creating the view.

Thank you. Going to have to clean up my mess now... LOL
Honored Contributor
Message 11 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Joshua

Dont worry we have all been there. All learn the hard way.

You will find as you go along there is really alot of custom stuff you can do regarding the views in BAC.

Feel free to ask here anytime.

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 12 of 23 (643 Views)

Thanks for the support!

Ok, all seemed to be going as planned until I began hiding CI's from certain views. Hiding CI's in one view duplicated the action within the other two views.

So, If I create a Schools view that is only supposed to show transactions from schools and not the IT department or School Board building the views for the last two mention will only display schools and vice-versa.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if I created indiviual models for the three location groups but I'll be trying that shortly just in case I missed that. That seems to be my only hope for getting this right.
Honored Contributor
Message 13 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Joshua

Do you mean you changed the normal system views e.g end user monitor views?

Those views are basicaly the views you get all your infofrom and from where you buid your views. Do not edit these views.

You can create individual views depending on what you need and add the neccesary ci's from the system views.

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 14 of 23 (643 Views)

I believe you are talking about perspectives. No, I'm too cautious to modify originals... I may need to reference them.

I began expirementing with creating my own perspective but in truth I got lost in the process.

I'm pretty sure creating a perspective is the way I'll have to go.
Honored Contributor
Message 15 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Joshua

No I am talking about views.

What I mean is that the system views basically contain everything and if you only want a view that displays certain info you would create a new view and only add the ci's you want to see.

Therefore you dont need to open up everything and instead only open up the info you want to see.

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 16 of 23 (643 Views)

Ok, I understand. I wouldn't modify the End User views either... too important.

I have uploaded two screenshots related to the view I'm trying to create.

In example.jpg you'll see two groups (Third group 'Schools' not yet added) called 'ITS' and 'SBAB'. I have expanded these two groups down to the CIs of HEAT/Self-Service User Experience.

As you can see, the CIs are currently the same for both 'ITS' and 'SBAB'. If I were to, in the 'SBAB' group, hide all CIs but the one from SBAB the result would be the same CIs would be hidden under the 'ITS' group. This is displayed in example2.jpg screenshot.

Unfortunately this goes agains what I'm trying to create since the 'ITS' group should be set to only display the CI Miami, Fl (local).

Hopefully this will help explain my dilemma better.
Honored Contributor
Message 17 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Joshua

So why do you want to hide the CI's under the ITS group? You can just remove them from the view out of the ITS group and only add the CI Miami, Fl (local).

That way it will only display the CI Miami, Fl (local) under ITS and still display all the CI's under the SAB group.

--Regards
--Mario

Frequent Advisor
Message 18 of 23 (643 Views)

Deleting the CIs from the ITS model results in the CIs also being removed from all other views which include those CIs, even the EUM view.

Synchronizing the BPMs will re-populate the views with the CI's again but unfortunately the ITS view is also repopulated with the previously deleted CI's as well... bringing me back to where I started.

Included screenshots of this affect...
Honored Contributor
Message 19 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Johsua

From which view did you add the ITS CI's?

And all teh other views where you added those CI's di you add them from the ITS view or the default system view they come from?

--Regards
--Mario
Frequent Advisor
Message 20 of 23 (643 Views)

All CIs were pulled from End User Monitors since that is the default collection of CIs.
Frequent Advisor
Message 21 of 23 (643 Views)

I see what you are getting at. Since the origin of the CI is the same for both ITS & SBAB hiding the CI hides the origin and therefore hiding all references to that origin's Source_ID for that view.

If I delete the CI from the model all references to that CI's Source_ID are deleted as well which is why the CI is deleted from all other views as well... even the system default EUM view.

This sound right to you?
Frequent Advisor
Message 22 of 23 (643 Views)

After reviewing one of your earlier posts about importing only the CIs I wanted, I have solved my issue with the views.

It seems it could have been that I was importing the same groups (containers) into each location in my view. So when I added CIs to one group they would show up in the other groups. Importing the same group meant keeping the same group's "ID" in which case causes any CI put in that group to show up in the other groups.

The other reason could have been that I was adding the BP transaction group instead of adding the individual BP transaction steps that I wanted. Either or both could have been the issue.

Is there an easier way to duplicate a group structure that must be used multiple times in the same view than to manually create new groups of the same name over and over again?

Seems a little too weak for such a powerful application. Very repetitive and tiresome if you have to create multiple branches which require the same group structure for a view.
Honored Contributor
Message 23 of 23 (643 Views)

Hi Joshua,

can you please give an example for "duplicate a group structure that must be used multiple times in the same view"

A screenshot or scatch of such a view will be great to understand the needs here.

Amit
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.