Users are unable to disable alerts (759 Views)
Advisor
midd91
Message 1 of 14 (759 Views)
Accepted Solution

Users are unable to disable alerts

Hi All,

I have SiteScope 11.23 and I recently ran into an issue where every user, other than the admin, is unable to disable alerts. The radio buttons on the "Enable/Disable Associated Alerts" dialog box are grayed-out. The only radio button that is not disabled is the "Enable all associated alerts" button. I have triple checked the user permissions, and even created "super users" who have permissions to everything. However none of them are able to disable alerts. I have also tried restarting the SiteScope instance multiple times.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or know of a fix?

Picture included

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 2 of 14 (736 Views)

Re: Users are unable to disable alerts

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Are these local users or LDAP users? 

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Advisor
midd91
Message 3 of 14 (733 Views)

Local users

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 4 of 14 (724 Views)

Also check if all afected users have a role assigned, if so, check the role and make sure a root group is defined in "Allowed groups" it can be the SiteScope root folder or any particular folder but it should not be empty. Test if user can disable alerts if user role is unassigned.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 5 of 14 (717 Views)

Also check if this defect applies: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1I94325

Seems like Edit alerts permissions is needed for disabling alerts.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Advisor
midd91
Message 6 of 14 (711 Views)

Selecting the root group resolved the alert issue. However, now that user can see all of the groups. When I try to select the root group and then a few of the groups below, it only recognizes that the root group has been selected.
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 7 of 14 (709 Views)

Hi,

Can you select a lower level group without selecting "SiteScope" root?
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Advisor
midd91
Message 8 of 14 (707 Views)

Yes, but if I do that then the user is unable to disable alerts.
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 9 of 14 (704 Views)

I'm curious why you use roles with local users, this is useful when integrated with LDAP. I believe all permissions can be set at user level without assigning a role.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Advisor
midd91
Message 10 of 14 (702 Views)

I am not assigning roles to the users. Sorry if I did not specify earlier. I am just trying to create a user and configure it's permissions so it can only see certain allowed groups, but still have the functionality to create groups, monitors, alerts, etc. Some groups contain important monitors and I do not want to risk them being deleted.
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 11 of 14 (696 Views)

You can assign groups and permissions from user properties directly, no need to create a role, set permissions and groups within it and then assign it to the user.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Advisor
midd91
Message 12 of 14 (694 Views)

[ Edited ]

Correct. However, the issue I am having is when I assign the groups and permissions in the user properties and I select the allowed groups for the user, if I do not select the root "SiteScope" group then the user cannot disable alerts. Regardless of the Permissions I have set.

If I do select the root "SiteScope" group and then attempt to select the lower level groups the user is allowed to see, then it only recognizes that I have selected root "SiteScope" group and allows the user to see all lower level groups. However, now the user is able to disable alerts.

Does that make more sense?

EDIT: I have added some pictures. 

SiteScopeGroup.JPG is what is shown whenever I select root "SiteScope" group while I'm selecting my other allowed groups. Regardless of how many lower groups I select, the only group that shows up is root "SiteScope" group.

LowerGroups.JPG is what is shown whenever I select lower groups without selecting root "SiteScope" group. As you can see (I edited the real group names), It shows the lower groups I have allowed the user to access. However if I do it this way, then the user is not able to disable alerts.

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 13 of 14 (687 Views)

Yes, that makes more sense. Seems to be a regression on alert permissions.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Occasional Advisor
Aryja
Message 14 of 14 (49 Views)

Hello guys,

I have the same problem as the author and the solution to allow the root group "Sitescope" is not satisfactory for me.

We migrated to Sitecope 11.23 from version 10.14. In the old Sitescope, users was able to disable alerts, although they can't see all groups. I rechecked the settings and in SiS 10.14 the root group "Sitescope" was not selected.

Why does this setup work in the older version and not in the new one? Is there a way to allow the users only a limited view AND allow disabling alerts?

Regards Aryja

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.