Re: Understanding KPI propagation mechanism (487 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Volker_L
Message 1 of 3 (513 Views)
Accepted Solution

Understanding KPI propagation mechanism

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am quite new to this forum and this is my first post. Hello everyone !

I read a lot about "propagation" in HP documentation and have been testing the mechanism, but still:

When talking about "propagation of KPIs" - do we mean that the KPI definition is propagated or that the status of KPI is propagated ?

Let me explain in more detail what I mean:

I have been modelling in RTSM quite a while now and also defined some new KPIs.

The propagation of KPI status from a child CI to a parent CI always works well when using the default propagation rule.

I now introduced a new KPI propagation rule (in Servic Health Admin --> KPI assignments --> Propagation) in which I wanted to propagate KPI "A" of child CI type "M" as KPI "B" to parent CI type "N".

Note: After defining the rule, I synchronized the CI type just to be on the safe side.

When creating an event against the child CI, the KPI "A" gets the expected status.

Note: For sending the event, I use opcmsg and an ETI, the appropriate HI is attached to the KPI assignment.

Due to the before described propagation rule, I now expect that the status of KPI "B" of parent CI gets the status of KPI "A" of child CI.

But, this does not happen.

Parent CI does not get any status update. KPI "B" is not sent to parent CI at all, meaning that the propagation of KPI status from child CI to parent CI is interrupted.

In Service Health Admin --> CI Indicators I saw, that the child CI has KPI "A" and that parent CI has KPI "B".

So, it seems that the propagation of KPI works, but the propagation of KPI status is not as expected.

So, my question: Do I misinterprete the HP documentation: Does "propagation of KPI" refer to propagation of KPI definition but not include propagation of KPI status ?

Best regards,

Volker Lerch.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 2 of 3 (496 Views)

Re: Understanding KPI propagation mechanism

hi Volker and welcome.

You are almost correct. The "propagation" has 2 pieces to it:

1) KPI propagation - this means which KPI type needs to be created on the Parent CI, based on child KPIs. This also determines which business rule will be assigned to the parent KPI

2) Status propagation - this means how to calculate the status on the parent KPI based on its children KPIs. this is determined only by the business rule of the parent KPI.

You probably used "Worst status rule" on the parent KPI. this rule is OOTB and will calculate the worst status of all children KPIs which are the SAME TYPE of the parent KPI. This is the reason you dont get status on the parent, because none of its children have KPI type B.

You will need to create Groovy Rule (a.k.a Rules API) and assign it on the parent in your propagation rule. This groovy rule will take the children KPIs of type A and do some calculation on them.

My guess is that you are coming from OM world and Service Trees/service navigator. The concept of status propagation in BSM is different.

I hope you will find this info useful,

Asaf

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Volker_L
Message 3 of 3 (487 Views)

Re: Understanding KPI propagation mechanism

Hello Asaf,

thanks for the welcome.

Your answer was very helpful and I did not know that you differentiate between KPI propagation and Status propagation.

I did not really get this from the documentation, although I spent hours reading it.

Thank you for the hint with the groovy rule. I will try this out.

Best regards,

Volker Lerch

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation