Sitescope 11.11 Monitoring Solaris 10 Server Physical Memory Monitoring (822 Views)
Occasional Collector
jtwcarboy
Message 1 of 3 (822 Views)

Sitescope 11.11 Monitoring Solaris 10 Server Physical Memory Monitoring

[ Edited ]

Has anyone came up with a solution or custom COMMAND= Line for Solaris10 Physical Memory Monitoring?

I have written a custom script which works ok but i was hoping hp would have fixed the default monitor.

You can easily tell its monitoring swap by comparing top output ot the sitescope monitor.

Any help is appreciated.  It appears that the built in tool monitors swap not physical memory

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Sergey  Popov
Message 2 of 3 (812 Views)

Re: Sitescope 11.11 Monitoring Solaris 10 Server Physical Memory Monitoring

[ Edited ]

Hi.

11.11's memory monitor should monitor both swap and real RAM usage (and it does so in our lab environment).
Could you, please, be more specific about the monitored system?

Also, let me tear down the command that is currently used (yes, it was me who wrote that mess).
First it gets total amount of RAM via prtconf:
prtconf | grep "Mem" | awk '{print $3*1024;}'

Then current free RAM is taken from sar:
sar -r 1 1 | grep -v "freemem" | grep -v "SunOS" | grep -v "^$" | awk '{print $2;}' 

Ok, and I don't remember why did I need the awk part for as it essentially reprints these results. For some older variant, I think, when total RAM and percentage were transferred and I had to divide one thing on another.

Anyway, take a look on these, please, maybe it will help us understand what exactly isn't working.

Thank you.
Sergey.

mgg4
Message 3 of 3 (503 Views)

Re: Sitescope 11.11 Monitoring Solaris 10 Server Physical Memory Monitoring

I'm having what I think is a related issue.  I'm using Sitescope 11.11 to Monitor a Solaris 10 server.  The physical memory is showing as 100% used, but running the sar -r command referenced in this thread, I see I have free memory.  In addition, the value for pages/sec is totally out of reasonable range (over 5 billion pages/sec).  I'm also seeing "Swap in use" values greater than zero, but the swap -l command on the system shows the swap file is 0% used.

Is this just the way SS views Solaris 10, or is there something I can do to make these number make sense?

--Mark

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation