SiteScope - challenging works... (99 Views)
Honored Contributor
sekar sundaram
Message 1 of 13 (99 Views)
Accepted Solution

SiteScope - challenging works...

Hi,
i am new to SiteScope and as much i have seen, it looks very simple and fine tool (unlike OVO, even after working for a decade one will still feel issues, i think).

installation looks simple, outage (disabling monitors)configuration looks simple. no agents, so not a single agent troubleshooting issues.. so many monitors(i think around more than 70)...
so, i like to know some challenging tasks related to SiteScope? so that we can learn them and become good admins...
as of now, i think failover installation, the license methods looks as challenging tasks...
suggest your views...
points for sure...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mario Morelli
Message 2 of 13 (99 Views)

Re: SiteScope - challenging works...

Hi Sekar

As you said SiteScope is a really simple and easy tool to use.

What SiteScope version are you using now?

Also just going through the documents will really almost answer most of your concerns.

But if indeed you do get stuck you can always ask for a hint here.

Other than that enjoy learning about SiteScope :)

--Regards
--Mario
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
sekar sundaram
Message 3 of 13 (99 Views)

Hi Mario,

we use 10.12, yes, i have gone thru the help documents. and my idea is that, to know ITRC members different experiances with SiteScope, the different opions, etc..
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 4 of 13 (99 Views)

Hi Sekar,

I wish to list out certain application level challenges which makes you stong on SiteScope

1. SiteScope Integration with BAC over firewall & both in different regions - This you can simulate with Virtual machines

2. Multiple SiteScope failover onto a single server - This was a challenging task & it took around 2 months to come to a final working solution, as HP also donot have a tested practice apart from documentation. When this is combined along with integration to BAC, it makes more complex & gives you a great wealth of knowledge on various areas.

If you have any specific area to explore within SiteScope such as monitors or integrations or architecture or solution templates or logfiles, please let me know. I will help you if I can.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 5 of 13 (99 Views)

hello sekar

in general i would agree with your statement that SiteScope is easy and simple compared with OM at the first look. but at the same time i would tend to be very prudent with positioning the two products. OM still has it's strong point and it can be difficult to position the right product at the customer.

based on my experience below a few points you might want to look at which could be considered as advanced tasks:

- Monitors:
In general for me many of the chalanges you will be facing with SiteScope depend on the configuration of the monitors. sure configuring a CPU or a Memory monitor is very straight forward and easy to implement. but with the time you will be forced to parse log files with complex regular expressions or to create a specific database monitor or some other more unusual monitors. with the large amount of monitors available you'll be facing problems which are down to a speficifc configuration. so i would recommend to test and play with different monitors if you have a lab at your hands.

- Templates:
Templates are probably the most useful feature in SiteSope which will allow you to significantly reduce the time you need to configure your monitoring environment. also this is one of the strongest selling points if we look at SiteScope. get used to work with templates to really make use of the product.

- Failover:
Failover is another important topic as described above. I will not repeat what the others have stated before. just keep in mind that the whole failover concept has changed with SiteScope 11.0. so depending on your version and your future upgrad plans i would recommend not to invest too much time in Failover of older SiteScope systems if you intend to migrate to 11.x later.

- Log Files:
Get used to the different Log Files on the SiteScope server. When it comes down to troubleshooting you will need to search information from these files (runmonitors.log, error.log and so on).

- SSH with certificates
When using SSH as connection setting to remote UNIX machines with certificate based authentication there can be different settings you would need to configure based on your SSH configuration (timeout, keepalive and so on ...). This can cause some problems depending on your environment.

so these are just a few from the top of my head. in general the documentation for SIS is pretty good and especially the Monitor Reference PDF is a great source when configuring specific monitors.

Cheers Tibor
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
krishnarajapantula
Message 6 of 13 (99 Views)

Hi Sekar,

Generally you can get all the help for creating monitors in the help documents itself apart from that from back end you have to concentrate on

groups folder structure
Error.log
Runmnitor.log
sitescope daily logs
BAC integration log if it is integrated to BAC,

Templates folders in the root sitescope folder etc..

You can go through the above and try to analyze so that you can understand the dataflow clearly in sitescope.

If you stuck up some where then you can raise your questions here so that you can get a help.

-Krishna Rajapantula.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
sekar sundaram
Message 7 of 13 (99 Views)

thanks for your replies... points assigned...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
sekar sundaram
Message 8 of 13 (99 Views)

Hi Krishna,
can you tell some more information about the log files...
Error.log
Runmnitor.log
sitescope daily logs

others, please write your views as well...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 9 of 13 (99 Views)

Hi Sekar,

Error.log - it contains all error & debug details for the SiteScope as an application. Such as debug details related to

- Start & stop of SiteScope application.
- Debug info related to internal processes & services of sitescope components (monitor components, persistency, alerting, reporting, GSAR, Filters, auto deployment etc)
- Debug info of any properties file changed from ERROR level to DEBUG level which is writing log data to error.log file.
- All internal errors occurred while executing any monitors defined in the sitescope or any process/service within sitescope.
- ANy integration & adapter level errors from sitescope side etc.

Runmnitor.log - This log contains some of the error/debug information which is part of the error.log but the main contents of this log includes

- Any process/service error/debug info in executing the monitors deployed after sitescope is started.
- Any JVM related errors upon monitor runs.
- Any SiteScope health monitors errors & debug info.

sitescope daily logs - Sitescope daily logs are the complete source for the current & hisorical monitoring data of all monitors deployed in sitescope. By default a single log file is generated in the format of SiteScopeYYYY_MM_DD.log if the default file size is not modified. 40 number of days this data is continuously accumulated (in 40 files) & stored, if the default time period is not changed.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 10 of 13 (99 Views)

Another important log missed here is "alert.log" which contains all the types of alerts triggered from all the SiteScope monitors for which alerting is configured. This log is useful for troubleshooting any alert trigger level issues of the monitors.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Pradeep_30
Message 11 of 13 (98 Views)

VMWare, ILO monitoring, LDAPs integration, SSH over windows will be few other topics to add on.

HTH
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
sekar sundaram
Message 12 of 13 (98 Views)

Hi Raj,
just to be in touch, may i know your email(gmail)id?...

thanks guys...good learning...will assign points soon...reply ur ideas anytime...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 13 of 13 (98 Views)

Hi Sekar,

You can contact me at RAJ [AT] GMAIL DOT COM

-Raj

Regards,
Raj

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation