Re: SiteScope - Log Monitor (143 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 5 (172 Views)

SiteScope - Log Monitor

Dear Experts,

We currently have SiteScope 11.22 installed on RHEL.

I was wondering if it was possible to create a log file monitor that when there is a match it goes into error state,

but since the log file monitor is configured to never read the log file from the beginning, sometimes the log file will 

run and try to read the log file and then turn into good status because it read 0 lines and there were 0 matches.

Is it possible to configure the log file monitor so that when it reads 0 lines that it stays in the previous state, so in this case it would be an error state?

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Campeau
Message 2 of 5 (159 Views)

Re: SiteScope - Log Monitor

Hello RYU123,

Help me understand your question a little better. I take it you're expecting that after an error (match), the next time SiteScope reads the log there will be zero (0) lines, and you wish for it to stay in "error" status.

Is that correct?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 3 of 5 (155 Views)

David,
Thanks for the reply.
Correct. Basically we have the log file monitor running every 10 minutes, but the log will not necessarily populate every 10 minutes, may be longer. So after an error(match) state, the next time SiteScope reads the log, it may be zero (0) lines, and therefore I wish the monitor to stay in "error" status.
Thanks,
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Campeau
Message 4 of 5 (143 Views)

Take a look at "New Calculated Metric" form. It has the ability to retain previous values through a regular expression.

Since SiteScope thresholds deal with absolutes, using the Calculated Metric might be able to retain the value of the previous monitor run (#previous()). A threshold could be set based on the previous monitor run, and stay in error. 

I'm really reaching on this one :)

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 5 of 5 (137 Views)

Thanks for the idea, but is it possible to like "if lines = 0 then keep the previous state(eg error) etc
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation