Re: SiteScope Best standards for effective monitoring (254 Views)
Advisor
MuthuvelS
Message 1 of 4 (285 Views)

SiteScope Best standards for effective monitoring

Hi Experts,

I'm having a SiteScope server monitoring our AD,Exchange DB and windows environment and monitoring various parameters at every level, there are few instances where we monitor for a value in specific monitors and whenever it breaches the threshold the only update that I get from my sys admin is that the value to be increased rather than they find the root cause of the problem.

This now is creating an impression that the values are not fine tuned for effective monitoring(which was set by another guy who has implemented SiteScope), I have listed the monitors that have similar issues and their current monitoring thresholds requesting your guidance to tune to a best value after which I will ask my sys admin to verify the issue from their side.

Oracle DB

------------
oc4j/default/WEBs/process Request.time value=1000000
V$SYSSTAT/ enqueue deadlock    value=10

Active Directory

-----------------
Core Directory service
Process\lsass\Private Bytes   value>=200000000
Replication Health
NTDS/DRA Inbound Bytes Compressed value>=546990831
NTDS/DRA Outbound Bytes Compressed  value>=153836285

Kindly provide me your expert advice on this.

Cheers,
Muthuvel.S

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 2 of 4 (254 Views)

Re: SiteScope Best standards for effective monitoring

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this: whenever it breaches the threshold the only update that I get from my sys admin is that the value to be increased rather than they find the root cause of the problem ?

Do you mean that your admin says the value set on threshold is too low or he is expecting SiS to send root cause of the problem?

SiS can only send the counter value, you may use baselinging to let SiS calculate what is a good value based on past readings (as it is done in Solution templates for Oracle and AD for the counters you mentioned.)

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Advisor
MuthuvelS
Message 3 of 4 (234 Views)

Hi Kenneth,

Thanksa for your reply.

The sys admin says the value that is set it too low and every time they repeat the same and request me to increase the value, I'm concerned on this as this is not going to help the IT in anyway.

I tried baseline for every monitor that I have mentioned but the problem here is few months after I update the values again the issue arises and then the samestory from sys admins.

So all I want is a value which I can set and inform them that if this value is breached then there is some issue with the system and no tuning required from SiteScope.

Cheers,

Muthuvel.S

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 4 of 4 (217 Views)

As I mentioned baselining is best option as these counters are baselined even in solution template, otherwise you need to get these values from your admin or maybe from Oracle/MS documentation.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.