SNMP alerts for HP BAC (631 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Vishal Dhote
Message 1 of 10 (631 Views)

SNMP alerts for HP BAC

Hi,

We have a setup consisting of 4 sitescope server and one BAC server. Version of Sitescope is 11.0 and BAC is 8.0. BAC is used as the dashboard for SiteScope servers. With the help of SiteScope server we are monitoring different services/applications and their status. We want that if a particular service/application is down or has crossed its threshold value then it should generate a trap and SiteScope server should recognise it. The problem we are facing is we are able to get the traps for different services/application for example from MySQL enterprise monitor for any activity change in the MySQL database. But when the trap is received by Sitescope server we are not able to understand the status of the service/application with the help of OID's received. We have uploaded the required MIB files. Also when these traps are received in sitescope it should also reflect in BAC. BAC after receiving the trap for the status of service/application will log the ticket in HP Service manager. This thing is not happening. Please guide us regarding this issue.

Regards
Vishal Dhote
Frequent Advisor
Stephen Kirven
Message 2 of 10 (631 Views)

Re: SNMP alerts for HP BAC

Vishal,
If I understand your scenario correctly, you are sending SNMP Traps from another device to your Sitescope 11 Server, and you're not sure how to set up a monitor to check for it?

The first thing to do is make sure you can see the traps in Sitescope. The easiest way is to check the \Sitescope\logs\snmptrap.log directory (assuming Windows, and also, I'm on Version 9.5.4, so I cannot guarantee the location for 11 would be the same). Look in the log file to see if you see an entry that is what you want to look for. Then, take that entry, and paste it into the Regular Expression Tool, and write a Regular Expression to match for that entry. Once that is done, you can set up your SNMP Trap monitor to look for the entry.

I hope that helps!
Stephen
Occasional Advisor
Vishal Dhote
Message 3 of 10 (631 Views)

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. In my scenario, Sitescope is installed on Linux. And which regular expression tool you are talking about? Please be little clear. And where I need to write that regular expression?

Regards
Vishal Dhote
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 4 of 10 (631 Views)

Hi Vishal,

You need to take a sample of error scenario from snmptrap.log for which you need to create a matching expression (Regular expression with which it only matches the traps in the dsignated format). For verifying or building the right regular expression you can use the built in regular expression tool in SiteScope Preferences. Once youa re confident on the match condition, create a SNMP trap monitor with this regular expression.

Hope this is clear to you now.

Regards,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Occasional Advisor
Vishal Dhote
Message 5 of 10 (631 Views)

Hi ,

In place of regular expression I am using the OID's produced by Traps. Will it be fine?
But I am not getting the whole string of OID.

Regards
Vishal Dhote
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 6 of 10 (631 Views)

Hi Vishal,

Yes you can use ODIs in Regex but I suggest you to read the SiteScope Regular expression usage documentation in "Using SiteScope guide.pdf" and after you build the regex, please test it in the regex tool with multiple live traps to check the integrity of your regular expression.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Frequent Advisor
Message 7 of 10 (588 Views)

Cna we send SNMP alerts directly to BSM/OMi 9.12?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 8 of 10 (585 Views)

211503 wrote:

Cna we send SNMP alerts directly to BSM/OMi 9.12?

No, you cannot. BSM platform doesn't have SNMP Trap receiver. You should have something in between, e.g. SiteScope or BSM Integration Adapter. 

Frequent Advisor
Message 9 of 10 (583 Views)

Thanks..

But we dont have sitescope..shall i install BSM integration adapter on the same BSM server?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 10 of 10 (580 Views)

The best practice is to install BAM IA on the domain manager server, i.e. on the server that generates events (SNMP Traps in your case). But this is not a hard rule and you can install BSM IA on any server you like. You must make sure that BSM IA will have connectivity to both BSM server and the server that sends SNMP Traps to it.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.