Re: Receiving SNMP traps in BSM using BSM connector (957 Views)
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 1 of 14 (1,130 Views)
Accepted Solution

Receiving SNMP traps in BSM using BSM connector

Hi All,

We are going to integrate few third party systems with BSM/OMi(9.20) for event integration.We have done the following things already,

1)Install BSM/OMi

2)InstallBSM connector and configure the same under BSM-->admin-->Integration server and able to see BSM connector name in BSM console.

Now next steps is to receive SNMP based events into BSM/OMi, for this we have configured remote system to send SNMP traps to BSM connector and in BSM connector we have created a new policy for SNMP traps.

Please confirm if these are the correct steps required for this or still more steps are involved, I gone through document but was bit mess for me. Now when BSM connector recevives any trap it should forward it to BSM/OMi right?

Kindly help in understanding the same.

Hanumant.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 14 (1,114 Views)

Re: Receiving SNMP traps in BSM using BSM connector

Your steps are correct to make BSMC send events out of SNMP traps to BSM. Just keep in mind that events once received in BSM will have to be resolved to correct CIs (otherwise, they will be almost useless). In other words, the topology from your 3rd party system has to be in RTSM. There are lots of different ways to accomplish this task. How you do it it's up to you, but it should be done.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 3 of 14 (1,109 Views)

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the reply, i was really confused with the same i.e. whether topology of third party system should be present in RTSM or not and you made it clear now. I am planning to refer documents for user guide of BSM connector to do the same.

Also confirm that, we should have MIBs from third party system  loaded in BSM/OMi.

And to view event of Sitescope in OMi mib browser, we need to create alert for those Cis in BSM first, does the same steps require for third party systems also after topology is synced in BSM RTSM.

Thanks again.

Hanumant.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 14 (1,107 Views)

>>>Also confirm that, we should have MIBs from third party system  loaded in BSM/OMi.

No, you don't need any MIBs.

>>>And to view event of Sitescope in OMi mib browser

There is no MIB browser in OMi.

>>>we need to create alert for those Cis in BSM first

Events from SiteScope are generated by SiteScope. I don't understand which alerts for which CIs you plan to create. And especially why in BSM.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 5 of 14 (1,099 Views)

Hi Dmitry,

Can you please check below post, here Asaf has mentioned that we will require MIBs from third party systems, otherwise how will OMi recognize the values in trap.

I wanted to say event browser in OMi, sorry for the incovineince.

I mean to say that if we want to view events of SiteScope in OMi event browser, we must create alert for those SiteScope CIs under CI status alert, does the same thing we should do for othr third party systems.

Hanumant

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 6 of 14 (1,098 Views)

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 7 of 14 (1,092 Views)

>>>Can you please check below post, here Asaf has mentioned that we will require MIBs from third party systems, otherwise how will OMi recognize the values in trap.

OMi is not going to recognize any values in any traps. To start with, OMi won't receive any traps at all. OMi will receive events from BSMC.

>>>I mean to say that if we want to view events of SiteScope in OMi event browser, we must create alert for those SiteScope CIs under CI status alert, does the same thing we should do for othr third party systems.

I still don't understand what you are talking about. Why do you want to create CI Status Alerts in BSM? What prevents you from configuring SiteScope to send events to BSM directly if you want to have events from SiteScope?

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 8 of 14 (1,086 Views)

Hi Dmitry,

It s again confusing as someone on same forums saying you need MIBs from third party systems and someone says no. :(

As BSM connector is going to receive SNMP traps there should be some mechanism to understand traps received.

Please confirm as we are going to design document on same.

Hanumant

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 9 of 14 (1,079 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's your responsibility as an SNMP Trap policy developer in BSMC to map certain traps to events.

Open BSM Connector user guide for your version of BSMC and try to search for "mib". You won't find any references. 

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 10 of 14 (1,074 Views)

yes Dmitry, I have already searched this and I didn't get any MIBs word in any used document.

Okay.. Thanks again for your assistance and help!!!

Hanumant

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohan_tyagi
Message 11 of 14 (967 Views)

Dmitry, can you mention couple of easiest ways to get topology data of thirdparty application in RTSM? Should we write policies for topology sync as well?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rohan_tyagi
Message 12 of 14 (966 Views)

Hanumant,

Did you get this working. We have similar situation where we want to integrate a third party application with BSM using BSM connector. The application is capable of sending the SNMP trap. Now we have to first intercept these traps and then write policies to create events out of that SNMP trap.

I was just checking if you got success in your approach.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 13 of 14 (961 Views)

>>>Dmitry, can you mention couple of easiest ways to get topology data of thirdparty application in RTSM?

Which ways are "easiest" would depend. Here are the possible ways (with no specific order):

1. Topology scripts as part of regular event or metric integration policies.

2. Separate topology integration policies in BSMC.

3. All UCMDB/DDM power (discovery jobs, Import from Excel/DB etc., GDBA, WS or Java API)

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 14 of 14 (957 Views)

by default there are no policies available in BSMC.

Also like in uCMDB we can discover HP SIM topology using web listner, can web listener be used for same tpology integration through BSMC.?

And do we require extra license if we are just importing topology in excel format?

Regards

Hanumant

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation