Re: Question re: Configuration Item/Business Transaction Business Rules (219 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ThePebble
Message 1 of 4 (252 Views)
Accepted Solution

Question re: Configuration Item/Business Transaction Business Rules

Hello,

I am currently generating events based off alerts via a method proposed by Dmitry (turn off event generation from Health Indicators, turn on event generation from alert).  I have the alerts set so that they generate an event when 3/3 transactions fail, and I would like the 360 view to show a similar state.  My End User Monitors view is set up with the default configuration of worst status rule for Availability and Performance KPIs.  When looking at the 360 view, I notice that the current behavior of the Application, Transaction and Transaction Flow CIs is to change state from "OK" to "Critical" as soon as a transaction fails.  I'm assuming this is normal behavior for the current configuration.

I would like to know if I could somehow incorporate time into the calculation so that the state only turns Critical when 3/3 transactions fail.  I'm not saavy enough to know if there is an existing business rule I could apply, or if I need to do something else...

Thanks in advance!

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 2 of 4 (231 Views)

Re: Question re: Configuration Item/Business Transaction Business Rules

there isnt such a rule OOTB.

you will need to write a Groovy rule for your HI. this rule will need to hold 3 samples and then perform the calculation on them.

Occasional Advisor
ThePebble
Message 3 of 4 (222 Views)

Thank you Asaf.  Final question:  in your opinion, what is the best way to learn how to apply Groovy scripts to BSM?  I see a number of non-HP web sites that explain Groovy, but I couldn't find any manuals or whitepapers that provide an HP-centric view.

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 4 of 4 (219 Views)

I suggest BSM Docs. you dont need Groovy knowledge just how to use the Groovy framework within developing business rules.

In the docs you will find it under "Rules API" (for Service Health or SLM).

In the docs you will also find great code examples.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.