Re: Populating category/sub-category fields for BPM events (314 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ThePebble
Message 1 of 5 (362 Views)
Accepted Solution

Populating category/sub-category fields for BPM events

Hello,

I have a customer whose operations group uses OMi as their consolidated console.  They recently expanded their BSM use by licensing the EUM module to run synthetic transactions, and they noticed that BPM events don't have category/sub-category fields populated.  

They would like to have some sort of application identifier inside of the category field, such as <<Entity Name>> or <<Transaction Name>>.  However, I can't figure out a way to do this.  What are my options for adding a value to Category?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 5 (349 Views)

Re: Populating category/sub-category fields for BPM events

How do you get those BPM events? Out of Synthetic User Transaction Availability or Synthetic User Transaction Performance HIs? If so, you could try to edit an event template used to generate such events, but the attributes available in the event template are very limited, e.g. you won't be able to use <<Transaction Name>> there.

Also I would personally never recommend using such events as they create a lot of noise (one event gets generated for every HI status change whatsoever). Unfortunately, those events are configured to be generated OOB, and most customers don't even realize they could disable them, and instead use events generated out of BPM alerts. Such events would be meaningful and will notify about real problems (as customer defined them explicitly based on their understanding of what the problem is that should result in alert generation). Event template for events generated out of BPM alerts can also be modified and you could use many more attributes there to populate Category and Sub-category fields.

Occasional Advisor
ThePebble
Message 3 of 5 (332 Views)

Hello Dmitry,

Yes, the events are availability and performance-related events.  Given the additional suggestion you gave me, I'm leaning towards disabling these BPM events and using events generated out of BPM alerts.  

I feel stupid for asking this, but how do you disable the aforementioned BPM events so that the only BPM events in the OMi console are those generated by alerts?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 5 (329 Views)

You need to navigate to the Indicators repository (under Admin > Operations Management > Monitoring), select Business Transaction CIT on the left, then select 2 HIs of that CIT (one a time) - Synthetic User Transaction Availability/Performance, click Edit button and you will see a checkbox that is responsible for generating events for the HI. Uncheck it and that should do the trick.

Occasional Advisor
ThePebble
Message 5 of 5 (314 Views)

Thank you Dmitry!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.