Re: Monitoring VMWare with Sitescope 8.7 (244 Views)
Frequent Advisor
martinezH
Message 1 of 7 (249 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitoring VMWare with Sitescope 8.7

Hello,

We are upgrading to sitescope 10.50 or the latest version withing the next month or two.

Currently, we are running a load test against VM servers and monitoring it with sitescope 8.7.

Now here is my question: is the CPU and Memory usage collected from the VM server through stiescope 8.7 using the VM server( guest) IP pertaining to the performance of the VMware host (physical machine) or the VM guest (VM intances)?

I know that the latest version of sitescope will provide performance counters for both the VMware host and the guests, but we are not ready to upgrade yet.

I'd like to know what the counters gathered via sitescope 8.7 mean before distributing the results?

thanks

~hector
Honored Contributor
Amit Bandekar
Message 2 of 7 (249 Views)

Re: Monitoring VMWare with Sitescope 8.7

The performance stats will be for the guest.

--Amit
Frequent Advisor
martinezH
Message 3 of 7 (249 Views)

Thanks for your fast response....

How reliable are those counters? the reason I ask this is because i've been doing some reading about VMware and some of the tools used to monitor VMWare. I ran into some docs using Genilogix with Sitescope to get the real performance counters.

Basically, the docs indirectly stated that any sitescope version below 10 will not prperly monitor VMware without Genilogix. The other option is using SNMP. but that's a pain to implement. Are these guys just trying to upsell or sell a new product?

thanks

~hector
Honored Contributor
Amit Bandekar
Message 4 of 7 (249 Views)

From my perspective, the stats coming out of VirtualCenter will be as reliable as any other tool because it's offered by the vendor itself. All Sitescope does is get stats from VirtualCenter.

--Amit
Frequent Advisor
martinezH
Message 5 of 7 (249 Views)

I see now... that's for your fast response.

~Hector
Occasional Contributor
Pbond
Message 6 of 7 (244 Views)

As im new to sitescope, Do you have any document to monitor VMware Server usign Sitescope.

Frequent Advisor
DiegoCaicedo
Message 7 of 7 (225 Views)

Hello ,

Use HP SiteScope for the Windows, Solaris, and Linux operating systems - Monitor Reference

Regards

Diego

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.