Migrate BSM 9.12 from vmware servers to physical servers (781 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Charles L.
Message 1 of 12 (781 Views)
Accepted Solution

Migrate BSM 9.12 from vmware servers to physical servers

Hi Experts,

Excuse me. I need to ask this question to the forum, because HP Support is not willing to assist, claiming that they only provide service to fix what is breaking.

We need to migrate our BSM servers from the virtual machines to physical machines. As a result, not only the installation, but the hostname and the IP address of the servers would change as well.

From my past experience with BAC 8, we need to install the BAC servers on the new servers, delete some related information in the Management DB and run Conect to DB wizard from the new servers. However, I am not sure whether in BSM 9.12, we need to do the same steps or not. Especially, I think some tables in the BSM are changed already compared to those in BAC 7.5 and 8.0.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards,

Charles Laudia

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 2 of 12 (775 Views)

Re: Migrate BSM 9.12 from vmware servers to physical servers

Yes you need to install BSM on new servers. You need to follow staging upgrade from your BAC assuming version is 8 to BSM 9.0X and from BSM 9.0X, you need to follow the direct upgrade.

You should be able to find out the instructions in upgrade guide. Head to the manuals section http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals and download the upgrade guide and go through it thoroughly. Also, there are plenty of threads available in this forum on the upgrade part. You will find many answers to FAQ. Be sure to check them.

--Sujith

Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 3 of 12 (749 Views)

Hi,

I don't agree with Sujith. You should follow the DR (Disaster recovery) procedure as it is explained in the Deployment Guide and not the upgrade procedure.

You basically move your BSM9.12 from servers X to servers Y, which is exactly what you are doing in DR.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Charles L.
Message 4 of 12 (745 Views)

Hi Asaf,

Thank you for your reponse. However, basically what I am going to have is migrating from 2 vmware servers (1 GW + 1 DP) to 4 physical servers (1 GW + 1 DP at East Coast and 1 GW + 1 DP at West Coast for the real disaster recovery).

If I follow the Disaster Recovery scenario, wouldn't the old servers' hostname and ip address be left in the system?

Regards,

Charles Laudia

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 5 of 12 (736 Views)

Charles L. wrote:

If I follow the Disaster Recovery scenario, wouldn't the old servers' hostname and ip address be left in the system?

No, they wouldn't. The DR procedure implies cleaning up DB used by BSM DR system prior to starting it up.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 6 of 12 (730 Views)

Thanks for correcting me Asaf. But the question was not clear as no where the word of running two BSM servers in parallel (one as primary and the other one as failover) appeared which made me assume that he was just moving all the data/config files to physical server from VM server and running only that as BSM. Nevermind, really thanks for correcting me and helping out Charles.

--Sujith

Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Charles L.
Message 7 of 12 (708 Views)

Hi

I have already fininshed migrating the BAC's GW and DPS to another servers (with database remains the same), by following the instructions for Disaster Recovery. Checked with the HP Software Support and was told that these steps are not supported by HP Software (even though mentioned in the manual clearly). Nevertheless, just sharing what had been done:

1. Disable all BSM servers

2. Install the BSM servers (GW + DPS) on the new servers (Note: don’t run the Server and Database Configuration utility, don’t create any database, and don’t start the system)

3. Copy any files which had been changed in the following directories from the old servers to the new servers:

-       <HPBSM>\conf on GW & DPS

-       <HPBSM>\odb\conf on GW & DPS

-       <HPBSM>\odb\content on DPS

-       <HPBSM>\BLE on GW & DPS

-       <HPBSM>\openldap on GW & DPS

-       <HPBSM>\AppServer\webapps\site.war\openapl\excels on GW & DPS

-       Any other files or directories in the system that have been customized

4. Delete old information from the tables in the management database (mentioned in the Disaster Recovery)

5. Run the Server and Database Configuration utility on each machine to reinitialize the needed tables in the database: Start > Programs > HP Business Service Management > Administration > Configure HP Business Service Management.

6. Start the BSM on the new servers.

7. Configure the data collectors to work with the physical instances (for BPM, use Redirect tool; for Sitescope, use the Global Search and Replace).

8. Disable obsolete hosts: http://<Gateway Server machine>/topaz/systemConsole/displayBACHosts.do

9. Go to BSM GUI > Admin > Platform > Infrastructure Settings to to ensure that DNS names updated

-       RTSM content packs

-       Frontend URL to RTSM

-       Settings for OMi

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Eddy-Vazquez
Message 8 of 12 (599 Views)

Hi Charles,
thanks for share your steps. I have a questions
is the same procedure for change only server database, for example to move server1db to server2db?
the step 3, is necesary for this case?
for step 4, is necesary Delete old information from the tables in the management database" because the DPS and GW Server is the same.
in the step 5, I have to Run the Server and Database Configuration utility with the opcion "Connect to a new database" or the opcion "Create New ..."

Thks for your responses

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NagendraPaladi
Message 9 of 12 (586 Views)

Hi  Eddy,

You are just moving your DB from one server to another server. Hence you need to run the DB Confiugration utility and choose "Connect to the existing DB".  No other step required. Always its recomemded to have full back up of the DB.

If you choose the option "Connect to new DB", it will create a new set of schemas on the new DB and your previous data will not be available or just the connection wizard fails.

Regards,

Nagendra Swamy. P

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SureBalaraman
Message 10 of 12 (522 Views)

Hi Charles,

I am migrating HPBSM 9.13 to Phsyical server.Can you please clarify me one thing.

If the HPBSM hostname/IP address and hardware/software requirements are same as Virtual machine can we ignore the step 5?

Regards,

Suresh

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Charles L.
Message 11 of 12 (510 Views)

Hi Suresh,

I think you should not omit that step, because the wizard will update a file (forgot the name, topaz.ini?) to inform BSM servers on the details of the database, especially since you will migrate the servers.

The steps do not take very long time to complete, so maybe if you have any concern, can raise a ticket to HP before upgrading.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Charles L

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SureBalaraman
Message 12 of 12 (504 Views)

Sure Charles.

let me follow the steps and try to migrate the BSM using Different IP.

Thank u so much.

Regards,

Suresh Balaraman

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation