Re: Issue integration between BSM 9.13 and SiS 11.21, in reports -> No data found. (944 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ERIKPGP
Message 1 of 21 (1,044 Views)
Accepted Solution

Issue integration between BSM 9.13 and SiS 11.21, in reports -> No data found.

[ Edited ]

Hi experts,

I have a problem with the integration between BSM and Sitescope, when trying to generate reports from BSM in Application -> System Availability Management -> Cross-Performance I get "no data found".
How I can verify integration?
How I can make a re sync?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 2 of 21 (1,000 Views)

Re: Issue integration between BSM 9.13 and SiS 11.21, in reports -> No data found.

Hi Erik,

Let's check first if you actually get data from the SiS server.

- open the custom query builder (from Applications>user reports>custom query buuilder)

- select the sample type to be SiteScope measurement (ss_t)

- click on filter builder put the following u_iSessionId = (3) , you can find the session number (3 in my case) by quering the dbo.SESSIONS table in the BSM managment DB.

- select fields to get (like sample time , monitor title, measurement name/value)

- select past hour and run the query

If you get data this means that at least some of the monitors are sending data to BSM.

You could find a more detailed  description here: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM818311 .

Hope this helps !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Occasional Advisor
ERIKPGP
Message 3 of 21 (989 Views)

Re: Issue integration between BSM 9.13 and SiS 11.21, in reports -> No data found.

Hi jmmirchev,

I tried to test your instructions, what I notice is that BSM is not receiving data from SiS since 12/10/2013, according to information from the link you share me, I must to do the integration again to solve my problem. what do you think?

Best regards.

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 4 of 21 (985 Views)

Hi again ,

In the end we might have to recreate the integration , still we could check a few  other things first.

Have a look at  the following article : http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1116905 , this is an easy way to confirm if the SiS server is able to communicate to the BSM GW. Try to access the mentioned URLs and let me know if the test sucseeds (you need to be able to access both URLs and get data), if not there is some kind of communication issue between the SiS and the GW , which needs to be adressed.

If the test sucsseeds, please send me the folliwing:

- a screenshot of the configuration from the SiS integration preferences

- the result from the following queries in the BSM management DB :

select * from dbo.HOSTSESSIONS
   select * from dbo.SESSIONS
   select * from dbo.HOSTS
   select * from dbo.SESSION_SITESCOPE_PROPS

(this will give us a curent snapshot of the connected hosts and their settings).

Thank you !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Occasional Advisor
ERIKPGP
Message 5 of 21 (972 Views)

Hi Jordan,

The test was successful.

Attachment the screens of the queries.

Thank You.

Erik.

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 6 of 21 (967 Views)

Hi Eric,

That's interesting , I've attached a screenshot from my test server configuration , could you double check again and  your settings and confirm the following:

- ENABLE_REPORT_TO_TOPAZ : is  set to Y for the SiS profile
-  SITESCOPE_HOST : is exactly the same host name as the SiS host (case sensitive)
-  IS_EMPTY_PROFILE: is set to N
-  IS_RESET: is  set to N

Looking at the screenshots you send me it looks like the integration is disabled, still as I said I'd like to confirm this :) .

Thank you and wish you a nice Friday!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Occasional Advisor
ERIKPGP
Message 7 of 21 (944 Views)

Hi again,

Confirm my settings and the field ENABLE_REPORT_TO_TOPAZ: is set N for SiteScope profile, if I understand correctly, this may be my problem, where I can change those settings?

Thanks Yordan.

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 8 of 21 (933 Views)

Hi Eric,

I hope you had a nice weekend :) !

Ok,now  open the SiS interfece and go to the integration preferences , open the BSM integration configuration.

There is a checkbox there saying "Disable all logging to BSM ", I would expect to be checked at the moment , please uncheck it  and look agian in the DB if  ENABLE_REPORT_TO_TOPAZ: is set to Y .

Let me know what happens :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Occasional Advisor
ERIKPGP
Message 9 of 21 (915 Views)

Hi Yordan,

I hope you are well,

Perfect, that works for me!

I want to thank you for your help and time given to help me find a solution to my problem.

Best regards,

Erik

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 10 of 21 (912 Views)

Thank you for the good news Eric, I am glad we could help :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Advisor
mareb
Message 11 of 21 (894 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Yordan,

I followed this thread since last week as I had a quite similar problem between BSM 9.20 and SiS 11.22 but the solution that solved Erics problem didn't works for me. Maybe you can also give me a hint what could be checked in further steps.

I see "no data found" in Sis Reports in BSM, like in Erics initial statement.

I did already all the steps you provided in the last postings. the output of the 4 queries is attached. the "ENABLE_REPORT_TO_TOPAZ" Flag is enabled on my side and "disable logging" is not checked in SiteScope Integration.

the connection tests between SiS and BSM you provided were also working fine for me.

I did a soft and a hard reset in the SiteScope integration settings, but this didn't solved it.

any idea what can in addition to be checked?

BR,

Marcus

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 12 of 21 (879 Views)

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the post :) !

Have you confirmed if you are recieveing data from the SiS server, here are the instrucitons again :

- open the custom query builder (from Applications>user reports>custom query buuilder)

- select the sample type to be SiteScope measurement (ss_t)

- click on filter builder put the following u_iSessionId = (3) , you can find the session number (3 in my case) by quering the dbo.SESSIONS table in the BSM managment DB.

- select fields to get (like sample time , monitor title, measurement name/value)

- select past hour and run the query

If you get data this means that at least some of the monitors are sending data to BSM.

You could find a more detailed  description here: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM818311 .

Let me know if you receive data from SiS and we'll decide how to proceed.

Thanks !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Advisor
mareb
Message 13 of 21 (870 Views)

Hi Yordan,

sorry I forgot to mention, I also did this tests and they were not successful. "no data found".

in the meantime, I tried to "reset" the entire SiS Profile, the Profile was created again and I have now a different SiS SessionID but I still have no data to view.

Best Regards,

Marcus

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 14 of 21 (848 Views)

Hi Marcus ,

So you do see recent data comming in the Profile DB from the SiS , still the report is showing no data , correct ?

Please check the following logs and let me know if you find any errors related to the integration :

\HPBSM\log\EJBContainer\reports.log : this is on the BSM server

\SiS\logs\bac_integration\bac_integration.log

Also look under the SiS\cache\persistent folder, do you see any files/folders accumulating there ?

Thank you !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Advisor
mareb
Message 15 of 21 (844 Views)

Hi Yordan,

I don't see any data coming in from SiS as far as I can say that. the only thing I see it, that for example in the BSM Dashboard, I see the current status of the SiS monitors. but I can't view any past data, not from last hour and also not from any other point in time in the past.

I checked both logfiles and can't see any recent errors regarding integration. all error messages in these logs are at least two hours old and don't look like integration errors.

the SiS\cache\persistent Folder is completely empty. there is only one subfolder (also empty) called "topaz".

Best Regards,

Marcus

HP Expert
PatWest
Message 16 of 21 (837 Views)

Check your Profile database in BSM, are there any issues with it?

Advisor
mareb
Message 17 of 21 (822 Views)

the Profile DB is online, configured in BSM and seems to work. don't exactly know for what I should search. and if the Profile DB would have a problem, some of the BSM logfiles should mention it or?

Best Regards,

Marcus

HP Expert
Siggi Gladitsch
Message 18 of 21 (812 Views)

Hi Marcus,

the usual approach is to follow the data flow:

(can SiS send data to BSM, can the BSM Web server see the data, can WDE see the data, can WDE put the data on the bus, can DBLoader read the data, can DBLoader write the data to the database)

- first check if in SiteScope you told SiS to send metrics to BSM:
  select one monitor -> Properties -> HP Integration Settings
   BSM Integration Data and Topology Settings
    Enable reporting monitor status and metrics
    (metrics is the important keyword here)

- if it's enabled, check for obvious errors in <SiS>\logs\error.log,
  for example "Failed to report data to BAC" or alike (I forgot the exact wording)

no errors, fine

if integration with metrics is enabled, and there are no errors, next check the profile database directly,
and not via CQB. Both the Cross Performance Report and Custom Query Builder rely on cross-reference meta data kept in the SM* tables. Once in a while these tables can get out of sync, and then neither the report nor CQB can report data, while data is in the profile DB.

As per the data you uploaded, you have the SiteScope profile "SiS_PoC" sending data to the profile database "PROFILE",
the session_id is 42 If this has been changed, you need to use the correct number for the session id,
as found by
 select * from sessions (against the Management database)

Open the BSM Browser, connect to the profile database "PROFILE", and run the following query:
 select count(*) from sm_rawdata_meas where session_id=42

If you get more than 0 entries, SiS sends data to BSM.

Next check
 select max(time_stamp) from sm_rawdata_meas where session_id=42
this returns the "youngest" entry in the table.

If there is no data, check the logs in <BSM>\log\pmanager\pm* and <BSM>\log\db_loader\db*
there might be an issue with the loader and/or PM as well.

As far as I understood you do have a status in BSM Service Health, so the data flow itself seems to work, and it might "only" be a matter of writing the data into the database.

Greetings

Siggi

HP Support

Advisor
mareb
Message 19 of 21 (804 Views)

Hi Siggi,

thanks for replying with all the details.

I checked all topics you mentioned.

BSM Integration for Monitor status and metrics is enabled.

No errors regarding sending data to BAC / BSM can be found in the error log

fetched the new Session ID out of the Management DB (select * from sessions)

"select count(*) from sm_rawdata_meas where session_id=62" on Profile DB

the count is "0" so no data is stored in the Profile DB, right?

"select max(time_stamp) from sm_rawdata_meas where session_id=62" of course also give no result back.

I looked into the pm and dbloader logs of today and can't find an error that seems point directly to the data store issue I have.

in DB load log the last exception is like, but it is already 3 days old. I attached some of the logs to this case.

2014-01-21 12:15:39,448 [JMS Session Delivery Thread - SIS11CSA_db_loader_DB_Loader$SESSION$2:-1744974568742715392] (FlatSampleBridge.java:80) ERROR - Bad sample. sending to DeadLetter
com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.holder.BadSampleException: Profile DB was not found for sample Sample_ss_t(BBSample, seq=99234):
  eti_id                  = 'Binary[16]:0x67b72128d4674bbc8440ebba986331b2'
  u_iConnectionId         = '400009'
  szMeasurementName       = '.*Error: open SSH connections limit reached.*'
  DowntimeState           = '0'
  u_iQuality              = '0'
  time_stamp              = '1.390302916E9' (2014-01-21 12:15:16)
  instance_id             = '1'
  dTime                   = '1.390302916E9'
  profile_name            = 'PoC'
  szMonitorName           = 'Log Event Health Monitor'
  customer_name           = 'Default Client'
  u_iTargetId             = '400010'
  szTargetName            = 'sis11csa.dca.hpintelco.org'
  ci_hint                 = 'SiteScope:62:400009'
  pmdb                    = '0'
  szCategoryName          = '.*error: open ssh connections limit reached.*'
  u_iSessionId            = '62'
  szConnectionName        = '10000'
  u_iCategoryId           = '400028'
  u_iMsmtQuality          = '0'
  u_iStatus               = '0'
  start_time              = '1.390302916E9'
  dValue                  = '0.0'
  u_iMonitorId            = '400011'
  measurement_description = 'Log Content Counter'
  szSessionName           = 'PoC'
  u_iMeasurementId        = '400042'
  u_iHasProperty          = '0'

at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.utils.DBLocator.findDbForSample(DBLocator.java:105)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.holder.AbstractSamplesHolder.findDbForSample(AbstractSamplesHolder.java:80)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.holder.SamplesHolderByDb.findQueueKey(SamplesHolderByDb.java:266)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.holder.SamplesHolderByDb.storeSample(SamplesHolderByDb.java:192)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.bridge.FlatSampleBridge.processSample(FlatSampleBridge.java:77)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.bridge.jms.JMSSampleTypeListener.onSample(JMSSampleTypeListener.java:64)
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dcchannel.DCSubscriberImpl.onMessage(DCSubscriberImpl.java:189)
 at progress.message.jimpl.Session.deliver(Session.java:3080)
 at progress.message.jimpl.Session.run(Session.java:2504)
 at progress.message.jimpl.Session$SessionThread.run(Session.java:2875)

Best regards,

Marcus

HP Expert
Siggi Gladitsch
Message 20 of 21 (799 Views)

Marcus,

PM appears to be fine, db loader shows it's doing it's job

--Statistics for: DB summary:PROFILE - (collected over 6 days 19 hours 30 min.):

--Statistics for: DB Name: PROFILE Sample: ss_t - (collected over 6 days 19 hours 30 min.):

--Statistics for: Overall - (collected over 6 days 19 hours 28 min.):
          Number Of Samples Inserted to DB (RecoveryFlow)                : 634
          Number Of Samples Inserted to DB (MainFlow)                    : 174,102

but this message clearly IS an issue:
loader tries to insert a SiteScope sample for profile id 62, "PoC", but cannot find it:

2014-01-21 12:15:39,448 [JMS Session Delivery Thread - SIS11CSA_db_loader_DB_Loader$SESSION$2:-1744974568742715392] (FlatSampleBridge.java:80) ERROR - Bad sample. sending to DeadLetter
com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.holder.BadSampleException: Profile DB was not found for sample Sample_ss_t(BBSample, seq=99234):
  profile_name            = 'PoC'
  u_iSessionId            = '62'
  szSessionName           = 'PoC'
 at com.mercury.am.platform.dataentry.loader.utils.DBLocator.findDbForSample(DBLocator.java:105)

Do you see an increasing amount of data in <BSM_GW>\.persist_dir? if yes, then loader fails to insert the samples,
although the loader statistics shows that it inserted 170k samples in almost 7 days.

I recommend to open a support case so that this can be analyzed in greater details,
it's a little bit too complex to do this via back and forth in the forum.

Greetings
Siggi

HP Support

Advisor
mareb
Message 21 of 21 (795 Views)

Hi Siggi,

the .persist_dir overall size is ~10MB.

biggest file is ".persist_dir\db_loader\main\current\part-11.mpp" with ~7,5mb

But I will open a support case and refer to this forum thread.

Thanks for the support so far to all.

Best Regards,

Marcus

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.