Re: Import from Atrium to uCMDB adapter problem (4217 Views)
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 1 of 11 (4,266 Views)

Import from Atrium to uCMDB adapter problem

Hi, experts!

I have some problem with integration between uCMDB and BMC Atrium (import from Atrium to uCMDB).

I use the "Population from Atrium" adapter (please find attached screenshot), default mapping file Atrium_to_UCMDB_SampleMappingFile.xml" (attached to the message).
Connection between the servers is fine and job successfully done - all CIs (Configuration Items) were imported to uCMDB, but there is a problem: all the imported CIs is the "unix" UCMDB Configuration Item Type (CIT).

Only BMC CIT "BMC_ComputerSystem" items must become the UCMDB CIT "unix" and other CIT items must not be imported to UCMDB according to the mapping file I think. But then why all of the imported CIs (different CIT) from Atrium became "unix" CIT? Or I'm wrong?

Please, can you advice me?

Best regards,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PuneetS
Message 2 of 11 (4,255 Views)

Re: Import from Atrium to uCMDB adapter problem

Hi Mike,

Can you please elaborate all of the imported CIs (different CIT) from Atrium became "unix" CIT?

According to the mapping xml only CIs of  BMC_ComputerSystem should be populated into unix CI type.

Also i noticed that you are missing primary key for the relationships (not sure whether that can cause the issue):

<link source_link_type="BMC_HostedAccessPoint" target_link_type="containment" nameSpace="" mode="update_else_insert" source_ci_type_end1="BMC_ComputerSystem" source_ci_type_end2="BMC_IPEndpoint" query="">
  <target_ci_type_end1 name="unix" />
  <target_ci_type_end2 name="ip_address" />
<targetprimarykey>
  <pkey />
 </targetprimarykey>
  </link>
  </targetrelations>
  </integration>
Regards
Puneet

If you find this reply helpful, Click the KUDOS button on the left to say 'Thanks'
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 3 of 11 (4,249 Views)

Thank you for reply, 

PuneetS wrote:

According to the mapping xml only CIs of  BMC_ComputerSystem should be populated into unix CI type.

PuneetS wrote:

Also i noticed that you are missing primary key for the relationships (not sure whether that can cause the issue):

Thank you, I'll fix it. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 4 of 11 (4,234 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found a log file (DS_fromAtrium_Import data from Atrium.record) with detailed information about completed operations. It contains the following lines:

<log start="19:3:52" severity="info">Retrieved 2243 objects of type BMC_ComputerSystem</log>
	<log start="19:3:52" severity="info">Query data for: Class &lt;BMC_IPEndpoint&gt;, Namespace &lt;BMC.CORE&gt;, Query &lt;None&gt;, Attributes List &lt;['Name']&gt;, Children List &lt;[]&gt;, Parent List &lt;[]&gt;</log>
	<log start="19:3:52" severity="info">Retrieved 0 objects of type BMC_IPEndpoint</log>
	<log start="19:3:52" severity="info">Query data for: Link &lt;BMC_HostedAccessPoint&gt;, End1 Class &lt;BMC_ComputerSystem&gt;, End2 Class &lt;BMC_IPEndpoint&gt;, Namespace &lt;BMC.CORE&gt;, Query &lt;None&gt;, Attributes List &lt;[]&gt;</log>
	<log start="19:3:53" severity="info">Retrieved 0 links of type BMC_HostedAccessPoint</log>
	<log start="19:3:53" severity="info">End atrium_query.py</log>

In fact these 2243 objects isn't  BMC_ComputerSystem CI type, but seems adapter didn't think so =)

Please find a beginning of the log in attached. 

Please advise!

Best regards,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PuneetS
Message 5 of 11 (4,228 Views)

Hi Mike,

By looking at the log, it seems that the issue is not with the mapping file, but the way script is querying the CIs from Atrium. I would suggest you to investigate more into this.

Two things that I would look into:

1. atrium_query.py

2. I found this in the documentation:

untitled.JPG

I would also suggest you to open a support case with hp.

-PS

Regards
Puneet

If you find this reply helpful, Click the KUDOS button on the left to say 'Thanks'
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 6 of 11 (4,220 Views)

Thank you for help, PuneetS!

During the investigation revealed that the BMC_ComputerSystem CI type is the so-called super class that includes subclasses. And at this stage of the integration between BMC and uCMDB adapter worked correctly.

But a new problem arose. The documentation for the adapter does not specify how to use the queries in the mapping file, for example, for populating into uCMDB a CIs that have a value "" (empty) in the field "Description".

Somebody wrote similar queries in the mapping file of the adapter? Could it be described in any documentation?

Best regards,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PuneetS
Message 7 of 11 (4,217 Views)

Hi Mike,

I didn't understand your below comment:

"The documentation for the adapter does not specify how to use the queries in the mapping file"

Please note that mapping file doesn't include any query, it contains :

1. The mapping information between Source (Atrium) and Destination (UCMDB) i.e. which field of source will be mapped to which field of destination.

2. Any hard-coded attributes. 

Example to illustrate the above:

Below will populate a constant string "true" in the attribute "host_iscomplete" field of UCMDB:

<target_attribute name="host_iscomplete" datatype="boolean">

<map type="constant" value="true" />
</target_attribute>

Below will map field "Name" of Atrium to "host_key" of UCMDB:
<target_attribute name="host_key" datatype="string">
    <map type="direct" source_attribute="Name" />
</target_attribute>

for example, for populating into uCMDB a CIs that have a value "" (empty) in the field "Description"

I didn't understand above, normally you would map Source field to Destination field and if your source field contains a empty value, destination field will be populate with empty value.

Let me know if it helps!

-PS

Regards
Puneet

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 8 of 11 (4,213 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Puneet,

Thank you, I understand an algorithm of the adapter and the syntax of the mapping file, except undescribed "query" attribute in the next row:

<source_ci_type name="BMC_ComputerSystem" nameSpace="BMC.CORE" query="">

If I could use that attribute for selective population to UCMDB, it would be great!

It important to me, because on the source server (Atrium) I have "ATRIUM_CI_Server" CI type that must be sorted and populated to two different  -- "CMDB_CI_Server" and "CMDB_CI_VirtServer" -- CITs on the target server.

The default mapping file in attachments.

Best regards,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PuneetS
Message 9 of 11 (4,200 Views)

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately even I couldn't find the reference of "Query" anywhere, If anyone can answer that even I would be thankful :)

Also, I would suggest you to open a new post in BMC community page:

https://communities.bmc.com/communities/community/bmcdn/bmc_atrium_and_foundation_technologies/bmc_a...

If this urgent I would suggest you to open a support case with HP.

Also once you figure out that, don't forget to post here :)

-PS

Regards
Puneet

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 10 of 11 (4,191 Views)

Hi Puneet,

Thank you for your advice!
Working on it. If I find a solution, I'll post here.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
mikeKey
Message 11 of 11 (4,139 Views)

Hi all,

Please, can anyone tell me if you successfully configure the population CIs and CI relationships from Atrium to UCMDB? What was the version of software (ARSystem, Atrium, UCMDB, DFP) that you used?

Best regards,

Mike.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation