HP Sitescope OMi integration Monitor missing related CI (676 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Omar_Lewis
Message 1 of 10 (676 Views)

HP Sitescope OMi integration Monitor missing related CI

Hello all,

I am currently working with SItescope intergated to BSM through OMi. I am working on a custom TBEC scenario. The plan is to create a JMX monitor in Sitescope that monitors heap usage of an Apache Tomcat. Then send the events for that monitor to OMi with the Apache Tomcat CI as the related CI so that I can create a TBEC rule. When I run the monitor I see its activity in the OMI event browser but when i look a the details the related CI field is blank as well as teh ETI field.

Does anyone have a clue on how to relate my Sitescope monitor event to a CI?

Thank you,

Omar

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 10 (630 Views)

Re: HP Sitescope OMi integration Monitor missing related CI

You somehow failed to provide the most important schreenshot whenever issues with CI resolution are encountered - Resolver Hints tab. This tab will tell you exactly what the Related CI Hint was (if any), and why it didn't work.

But at the first glance, you have at least Name field set incorrectly. Name cannot be a path to an XML file.

Also if CI which you are trying to resolve the event to, already exists in RTSM provide a screenshot with its properties  as well as properties of the server CI (Node/Computer/Windows/Unix) hosting your Running Software CI.

Frequent Visitor
Omar_Lewis
Message 3 of 10 (594 Views)

Here are two more screenshots the first shows that there is an out of the box active enrichment that takes the file path and makes it the name of the apache tomcat in the properties file. The second screenshot is of the tab you spoke of which does give a good indicator to an issue i thought existed. The JMX monitor only requries a JMX URL and thats the string that the OM agent sends to OMI event page. So it looks like if the monitor doesn't require the name of the server then OM agent doesn't know what host the monitor is reporting the data from.

Is there any way to send the host information or add that information to the event once its sent to OMi?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 10 (581 Views)

It doesn't look like SiteScope was able to properly send CI from this monitor to RTSM.

Do you see SiteScope monitor CI in RTSM for this specific JMX monitor? Does it have monitored_by relationship with your running software CI?

Frequent Visitor
Omar_Lewis
Message 5 of 10 (526 Views)

No I did not set it up to send the monitor to RTSM. The rest of the monitors I have are properly showing the relationship to host. Why would this one need to be setup differently? I only want the information to populate to OMi. Also from the section you pointed me to it looks like it just took the required URL for the monitor and made that the host name in OMi. Would you say that the OMi only take the required fields in the monitors and use that to populate the events into OMi?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 6 of 10 (519 Views)

RTSM must contain monitor CI connected to the Running Software CI through monitored_by link. Because the CI Hint for events coming from SiteScope is in the form SiteScope:X:Y, where X is the internal ID of SiteScope profile and Y is the internal ID of SiteScope monitor.

If this topology is not in RTSM for this specific monitor, then you need to fix it first. If you don't know how - create a support case. Without it CI resolution won't work, hence you won't see Related CI for the event. 

Frequent Visitor
Omar_Lewis
Message 7 of 10 (517 Views)

But as I stated before all my other monitors do not have any monitor CIs related to them in RTSM yet there hinters work right and they are properly related to the correct monitor. Why is this monitor different? I can turn this process on but I wanted to know why this one monitor needs it and the rest are perfectly fine.

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 8 of 10 (503 Views)

You don't have SiteScope monitor CIs in RTSM?

Did you integrate your SiteScope in BSM SAM? If so, monitor CIs will be created in RTSM automatically. If not, something is really screwed up in your environment.

Frequent Visitor
Omar_Lewis
Message 9 of 10 (496 Views)

Ok, I guess i will try that and see if i get sitescope monitor CIs to populate but besides this one monitor I have 50 others and they work fine and my connection between HP and OMi says its configured properly. Is there any other possible situations that could have occured besides the one your speaking of?

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 10 of 10 (488 Views)

There are 2 different integrations between SiteScope and BSM - one is called BSM, another is called OM (also applicable to OMi). You must configure both, because the first one provides topology and metrics, whereas the second one provides events. If you configured the first one, you must have monitor CIs in RTSM. If you didn't configure it, then your integration is half-baked and doesn't work properly - no matter if it looks like it works.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.