HP SiteScope - how to create a SNMP by MIB monitor template? (850 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 8 (850 Views)

HP SiteScope - how to create a SNMP by MIB monitor template?

Dear experts,

I am currently using SiteScope 11.22 installed on a RHEL box.

I was wondering what value do I put in Counters so that the template will deploy?

I tried copying and pasting the path of my mib counter and the template failed to deploy.

Can anyone please tell me what kind of format or what value do I input into "Counters" so that the template will deploy?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Expert
Battushi
Message 2 of 8 (827 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - how to create a SNMP by MIB monitor template?

Hello,

a good trick you can do is, create a SNMP by MIB monitor with the counter you like / need, then export this monitor to a template, modify the parameters you like to change (like host or IP) and deploy the template.

"HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 3 of 8 (819 Views)

Battushi,

Thanks for the reply and the nice trick.

I did try to create the monitor then copy the monitor to the template then deploy the template.

The template would take very long to load and not sure if it just hung on me so I just closed the window.

However I did try that same trick with a CPU monitor and it worked just fine...but still having trouble creating

the template for a SNMP by MIB monitor.

Thanks,

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 4 of 8 (803 Views)

The error message I get it:

error encountered: Error Code: 31000.  Error Description: SiteScope encountered a general exception, Class: APIMonitor, Method: getCountersForPatterns. Error creating MIB from file: remote:10

Not sure why it says "remote:10" at the end of the error message.

I feel that the end of the message should display the host name of the server i want to monitor, but it says remote:10.

Not too sure what it means.

Thanks,

HP Expert
Battushi
Message 5 of 8 (792 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

Can you tell me which version of sitescope are you running? also I will appreciate If you can upload here (or send me a private message) with the template and CSV file to check if everything is OK.

"HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 6 of 8 (766 Views)

Ok I think I know how SiteScope deploys the mib template.

For some reason when I deploy the mib template by itself, it works.

But once I add a remote server to the template, then it comes back with an error.

Not sure why, but any explanation to this would be greatly appreciated.

HP Expert
Battushi
Message 7 of 8 (757 Views)

Hello,

The reason why I ask for the template is because is possible in the hostname /  IP there is something else typed like

%%host%% Monitor SNMP 

or similar. The most common problem after export a monitor to template are:

1- The host are you running is not setup correclty (like the example before or similar)

2- The data are you trying to get didn't exist in the remote server.

For that reason, the first I would like to check is if the template has something wrong (variables, counter,...) and the second natural step check if the remote server has or not the counters you like to get.

Also another problem can be the CSV File, maybe is not created correctly or miss a coma (,) or something like this :)

"HP Support
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 8 of 8 (753 Views)

Battushi,

Thanks for your response.

To answer your concerns of the possible issues:

The reason why I ask for the template is because is possible in the hostname /  IP there is something else typed like

%%host%% Monitor SNMP or similar.

I usually create the variable first then when I input "%%" then I select the hostname variable.

The most common problem after export a monitor to template are:

1- The host are you running is not setup correclty (like the example before or similar)

2- The data are you trying to get didn't exist in the remote server.

In this case, yes the host is setup correctly as I am able to deploy the CPU or other monitor through the remote server.

I noticed that the snmp by mib and SNMP monitor both have similar issues. The SNMP by MIB monitor will say that it is unable to retrieve the counters and it thinks my hostname is "remote:11 or something similar. On the other hand, when I deploy the SNMP monitor through the template, it deploys just fine, but in the server field it inputs "remote:11" for some reason.

So basically I created 2 scenarios.

The first scenario is I created a template that contains several monitors, including SNMP by MIB monitor, variables, and a remote server. Then I deployed the template by inputting the variables manually, without a CSV. This returned an error, specifically the SNMP by MIB monitor.

The second scenario is I created 2 templates. The first template is just to populate the remote servers. The second template is exactly like the first scenario, with all the settings the same except there was no remote server in the template. This second scenario deployed just fine as expected.

So given the 2 scenarios, once I deleted the remote server from the original template, the template deployed just as expected, given that there was a remote server already connected in SiteScope.

So any explanation to why this may happen in SiteScope is greatly appreciated, or is it a bug in this version 11.22.

Thanks,

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.