Re: HP SiteScope - disabling alerts after it is acknowledged and reenabling after it changes status (1587 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 27 (1,673 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP SiteScope - disabling alerts after it is acknowledged and reenabling after it changes status

Dear Experts,

We are currently using SiteScope 11.22 installed on RHEL.

I was wondering if it is possible to disable the alerts after the alert is acknowledged and have the alert re-enabled once the status changes.

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 2 of 27 (1,638 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - disabling alerts after it is acknowledged and reenabling after it changes status

Hi Ryu,

I have a question, why would you like to disable an alert ?

You could probably set the trigger frequency to once in the alert action properties, would this work for you?

Thank you !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 3 of 27 (1,625 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - disabling alerts after it is acknowledged and reenabling after it changes status

Well basically I want the alert to keep alerting at least until someone acknowledged it. Usually when someone acknowledges it, they create a ticket, and since it has been acknowledged and a ticket has been created, I would like to alert disabled so it doesn't create too much noise and when the issue has been fixed, re-enable the alert.
Thanks,
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 4 of 27 (1,610 Views)

Hi Ryu,

When you add the acknowedgment you have an option to disable the alert , is this what you are looking for (check attachment) ?

Thank you !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 5 of 27 (1,602 Views)

Jimmirchev,
Thanks for the response, but this is not quite what I am looking for.
I understand that we may disable the alerts indefinitely any time including after when we add an acknowledgement.
What I am looking for is, is it possible to re-enable the alerts after the monitor gets out of the error state or if the error changes or when it turns to a good state, anything like that.
I mean right now the acknowledgement disappears once the monitor turns back to a good state, so I was wondering if the alert can be re-enabled when it changes to a good state.

Thanks,
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 6 of 27 (1,592 Views)

Hi Ryu, 

I think I have an idea, you could use a script alert with SiS API to trigger on a good state , this way when the monitor turns back to good the script will be triggered and the alert will be enabled .

Let me know if you are interested in such an approach and might give you some further hints about that , actually might post an example for the other users to see as this is an interesting question.

Let me know :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Respected Contributor
dcsbeemer
Message 7 of 27 (1,587 Views)

Hi jmmirchev

I'd definitely be interested in an example around this.

Cheers

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 8 of 27 (1,580 Views)

Hi all,

I am glad you find this interesting as I just created a simple example how this might work .

I've posted it here : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/SiteScope-Support-Customer-Forum/SiS-Support-Tip-How-to-enable-an-alert... (also attaching the document to this post)

This is quite a good question btw as APIs could come useful in a number of scenarios , so thank you !

Anyway , I hope the example helps :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Respected Contributor
dcsbeemer
Message 9 of 27 (1,576 Views)

Many thanks jmmirchev

Pretty sure I'll be using something based on your example soon.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 10 of 27 (1,569 Views)

Thanks jimmirchev,
When I have time I will try out your example.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 11 of 27 (1,562 Views)

jimmirchev,
I'm sorry but i am still having issues with the script.
I tested the script but still get errors.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 12 of 27 (1,549 Views)

jimmirchev,
Nevermind, I think I got it working, just was missing some quotes.
Thanks,
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 13 of 27 (1,535 Views)

Hi Ryu ,

I am glad it is working  :) !

Wish you a nice Friday!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 14 of 27 (1,489 Views)

Yordan,

Thanks for this information. I was just wondering if we can make this a bit more secure.

I am not a big fan of putting the login credentials(username and password) in the script or command line.

So basically we have some other people from our team that wants to use the SiteScope API and incorporate it in their script. 

Is there any other way to make this more secure by not having to type the login credentials on the command line?

For example, 

call C:\SiteScopeAPIExamples\bin\run_api_call.bat SiteScopeEnableAlertCommandLineUtil  -host localhost -port 8080 -useSSL false -login admin -password admin -alertpath %7

Notice how the command above says "-login admin -password admin"

is there any way to make this more secure by not having to enter the login credentials?

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 15 of 27 (1,470 Views)

Hi Ryu ,

Thank you for bringing this one , you have a point .

Actually I think this might interrest other people as well so I've posted in another thread: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/SiteScope-Support-Customer-Forum/SiS-Support-Tip-Using-an-encrypted-use...

Basically you could encrypt the user and password and provide the encrypted text in the command :) .

Hope this helps!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 16 of 27 (1,460 Views)

Thanks Yordan, it worked.
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 17 of 27 (1,451 Views)

Thank you for the feedback , I am glad I could help :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 18 of 27 (1,438 Views)

Thanks Yordan for the help.

Now I have another question.

Doubt it may be the same issue for windows, but since our servers are in Linux, how do I make this work if our SiteScope monitor titles/names have spaces in between.

For example, if I wanted to disable all monitors under the group "Non Prod"

I would enter the command below:

sh /opt/HP/SiteScope/SiteScopeAPIExamples/bin/run_api_call.sh SiteScopeDisableGroupCommandLineUtil -host host -port port -useSSL false -login hostname-password password -groupPath "Non Prod"

I tried to escape the spaces by placing a back slash "\" before the space, but it does not work.

Can anyone please tell me how I can do this?

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 19 of 27 (1,388 Views)

Hi

Sorry for the delay !

I've tried this and made it work the followng way (disabled group  space):

call C:\SiteScopeAPIExamples\bin\run_api_call.bat SiteScopeDisableGroupCommandLineUtil  -host localhost -port 8080 -useSSL false -login (sisp)aXFxQre+tNc= -password (sisp)aXFxQre+tNc= -groupPath "yordan/group space" -timePeriod 120

Try using the "" and add the -timePeriod option:

-groupPath "yordan/group space" -timePeriod 120

And let me know if it worked for you !

Wish you a nice day!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 20 of 27 (1,363 Views)

Thanks Yordan for the response but I was still unable to get it to work.
Thanks,
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 21 of 27 (1,344 Views)

Hi Ryu,

Happy new year :) !

Could you send me thet exact command that you are using ?

Thank you!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 22 of 27 (1,338 Views)

sh /opt/HP/SiteScope/SiteScopeAPIExamples/bin/run_api_call.sh SiteScopeDisableGroupCommandLineUtil -host localhost -port 8080 -useSSL false -login \(sisp\)vsoeWZieHhk= -password \(sisp\)vsoeWZieHhk= -groupPath "Test/Test 1" -timePeriod 120
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 23 of 27 (1,308 Views)

Hi Ryu,

I've done the test again with a group named Test and in it another one called Test 1 , it all worked fine (see attached).

Could you confirm if Test 1 is actually a group and not a monitor also if you are using exactly the same names in the command and SiS UI  (is it "Test 1" or "test 1" ).

Hope this helps :) !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 24 of 27 (1,303 Views)

Thanks Yordan.
Test is the first group.
Test 1 is the 2nd group.
I was hoping to disable the whole group.
I have not tried this on windows yet and only tested this on Linux as our SiteScope Test instance is installed on Linux.
I understand that Linux and Windows SiteScopes may respond differently.
Can you please confirm if you tried this on Linux?

Thanks,
HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 25 of 27 (1,243 Views)

Hi Ryu ,

Sorry for the delay !

You are correct I've tested this on windows only, now I've been testing it on a linux box as well and here's what I've found :

- all the disable_group.sh options need to be quoted in order the command to be recognized
(sh /SiteScopeAPIExamples/bin/disable_group.sh "-host localhost  ...  -password ad-timePeriod 120")

- on the other hand if the path contains a space we also need to quote it (-groupPath "Test/Test 1")

so looking at that it seems we should have syntax like that

sh /SiteScopeAPIExamples/bin/disable_group.sh "-host localhost -port 8080 -useSSL false -login admin -password admin -groupPath "Test/Test 1" -timePeriod 120"

Still the linux machine do not like those double quotations and the command could not be completed.

I've been playing with the command syntax trying to make it work , still not much results with that so far.

So in my opinion the best would be if you could escape the blank spaces in the names of the groups, if this is possible .

Maybe you could replace the spaces with a "_" , this way it will be much easier to handle.

Let me know what you think about that.

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.