Re: HP SiteScope - Number of CPUs on AIX (576 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 9 (638 Views)

HP SiteScope - Number of CPUs on AIX

Dear Experts,

We are currently using SiteScope 11.22 installed on RHEL.

On our AIX boxes, we are monitoring CPU and it does not display every CPU utilization on the monitor.

I was wondering if this was a bug or not or if someone can please provide us any documentation that may explain or say that this is supported or not. 

The only metric I get is "utilization" which I assume is the average utilization for all the CPUs.

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 2 of 9 (604 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - Number of CPUs on AIX

Hi Ryu,

I hope you are doing good :) !

Check the following :

- open the remote server configuration and make sure the proper OS is selected (AIX)

- if this is ok go to the SiS , open the templates.os folder and find the *.config file coresponding to the OS in the remote server configuration

- serch for the CPU id command and run it on the remote server with the same user that SiS uses

- check the results and take a look if they correspond to the data reported on the dashboard

You could send me the results from this test to have a look .

Thank you and wish you a nice day!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 3 of 9 (595 Views)

Thanks jmmirchev for the reply and suggestions.

I have taken a look at the AIX.config file and the CPU command that it runs is "vmstat".

I feel it should be running "mpstat" to find the CPU.

Can someone please provide any confirmation on this and it would also be nice to let me know what other changes if needed do I need to make to the AIX.config file so that it monitors CPU correctly.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 4 of 9 (588 Views)

Hi again ,

I am glad this helps , well you could check this out http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1026820

It is explaining how to switch from mpstat to vmstat for a linux machine , still you could adjust this for your AIX case as well.

I hope this helps , wish you a nice day :)!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 5 of 9 (580 Views)

Thanks for the reply again Yordan.

I am not a Linux Guru so maybe you can help me out.

So I just ran the command found in the AIX.config file to find CPU as shown below

bash-3.2$ /usr/bin/vmstat 3 2

System configuration: lcpu=64 mem=126975MB

kthr    memory              page              faults        cpu

----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ -----------

r  b   avm   fre  re  pi  po  fr   sr  cy  in   sy  cs us sy id wa

17  1 24181011 27043   0   0   0 4662823594429742353 4662806009570722529   0 15828 210695 103521 47  7 35 11

12  2 24181395 27444   0   0   0 4662496621815516047 4662485989880634562   0 14155 212728 104771 44  7 37 12

So can you tell me what number is SiteScope reading to get CPU?

Also SiteScope only gives me one reading and I assume this is the average CPU across all the CPUs.

It seems like it just does this for AIX whereas for Linux remote servers, it shows the readings for each CPU.

I would like to know why SiteScope only gives me one CPU reading(assuming it's average CPU) when the AIX box has 64 CPUs.

Thanks,

HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 6 of 9 (576 Views)

On multi-processor systems, vmstat averages the number of CPUs into the output. For per-processor statistics, you'll need to use mpstat. 

SiS uses by default vmstat because is most-used command by admins for AIX CPU monitoring, the command that SiS issues displays 2 summaries (CPUs avg)  at 3-second intervals.

You could use this CPU command in a copy of the AIX.config tempate in templates.os (needs to restart SiS to pick up new file in Remote's OS dropdown): 

#
id=cpu
command=/usr/bin/mpstat 3 2
cpu=1
endMatch=/^CPU/
wait=14
idle=15
reverseLines=true

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Valued Contributor
sumit_kumar
Message 7 of 9 (549 Views)

Hi Kenneth,

I have create a copy of AIX.config with new command of CPU and restart the SIS application service. but I am not able to see the new file name in dropdown list of remoter server.

Please suggest me. I have used 11.22 SIS.

Regards,

Sumit Kumar

Regards,
Sumit Kumar
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 8 of 9 (541 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Kumar,

Please provide a different name and id in the first 2 lines of the template copy; then restart again.

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Valued Contributor
sumit_kumar
Message 9 of 9 (527 Views)

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks ! it's works.
Regards,
Sumit Kumar
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.