Re: HP SiteScope - Is there a way to see which DNS server that a Server goes through? (122 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 8 (164 Views)

HP SiteScope - Is there a way to see which DNS server that a Server goes through?

Dear Experts,

We are currently using SiteScope 11.22 installed on RHEL.

I am wondering if it is possible to see which DNS server that the Linux machine resolves to?

In the resolv.conf file, we have several IP addresses that I assume the Linux machine uses.

So basically it does a round robin starting with the first IP address to see if it can resolve through that particular DNS server.

But I want to see if the Linux machine is actually going to the 2nd IP address on the resolv.conf file if the first IP address is unable to resovle the DNS.

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Gunnar_L
Message 2 of 8 (150 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - Is there a way to see which DNS server that a Server goes through?

Hi,

You can give it a try with the URM, configure a remote connection for that Linux server, then in the available counters go to: Network Interfaces, choose transmitBytes, select all the instances available for that server.

If the transmitBytes is in 0, then that IP is not in use.

Best Regards,

Gunnar López
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 3 of 8 (147 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - Is there a way to see which DNS server that a Server goes through?

ok thanks Gunnar.
I have implemented the monitor but am still not sure what DNS server the linux machine is using as the monitor only tells me how many bytes were transmitted.
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Gunnar_L
Message 4 of 8 (145 Views)

In this case there are 2 instances eth0 and lo (local host), that's the way to identify which is the one is active

forum.jpg

Best Regards,

Gunnar López
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 5 of 8 (142 Views)

Ok thanks for the response.

But how do I know the IP of the DNS server?

So this is what I got when I implemented the monitor.

1.JPG

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Gunnar_L
Message 6 of 8 (136 Views)

I guess the info is show in the dashboard according to the order the IP's are configured, but I'm not sure about that.

Best Regards,

Gunnar López
HP Support
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 7 of 8 (131 Views)

is there anyway that SiteScope maybe can do a nslookup or something that can tell you which DNS server the remote machine is using because I want to see which DNS server it is using when a DNS server goes down or something.
Also is there a way to provide a traceroute in the body of the email other than using a ping monitor?
Thanks,
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Gunnar_L
Message 8 of 8 (122 Views)

Hi,

You can create a script that execute the nslookup  and then use the SiteScope script monitor to run it, SiS will show the ouptut of that script.

Best Regards,

Gunnar López
HP Support
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation