HP SiteScope - Is it possible to not log certain alerts? (710 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 8 (710 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP SiteScope - Is it possible to not log certain alerts?

Dear Experts,

We are currently using SiteScope 11.22 installed on RHEL.

I was wondering if it was possible to not log certain alerts.

For example, recently we had a customer that wanted to integrate SiteScope with their dashboard, so we had SiteScope send data by CGI notifications. So basically I associated many of their servers with this CGI notification. And I know that SiteScope logs all alerts. So if SiteScope is also logging those CGI notifications, it is taking up a lot of disk space, and the easiest thing would be to not log those alerts as the purpose is just to send his dashboard SiteScope data.

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 2 of 8 (671 Views)

Re: HP SiteScope - Is it possible to not log certain alerts?

Hi ,

Could you clarify what you are looking for ?

As you know SiS would log an alert only if it had been configured to do so .

I guess there is something further you want , so please give me some more details (maybe an example) and we can discuss this further , ok ?

Thank you and wish you a great day!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
HP Expert
kenneth.gonzalez
Message 3 of 8 (662 Views)

Hi,

Do you mean that alert.log is growing huge because those FWD alerts? All alerts fired will be logged and that is not configurable.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 4 of 8 (662 Views)

Yordan thanks for the reply.

So if my understanding is correct, basically right now our SiteScope is logging every single alert in the alert.log file.

If you need to configure this to log the alerts, then maybe I am not sure where this can be configured.

So every time we get an alert, like an error alert, it would log that alert into the alert.log file.

Like for example, this was taken from the alert.log file:

11:37:02 02/17/2014 alert
alert-type: Post
alert-name: Test
alert-message: ok, http://Test:1234/dash/sitescope.cgi
alert-monitor: CPU
alert-group: Test
alert-id: 201191878
alert-monitor-id: SiteScope/200916097/200916098/201028703/200786506/2:171737
action-name: Good
alert-url: http://Test:1234/dash/sitescope.cgi
alert-postData: Group=Test
Monitor=CPU
Status=5% avg, cpu1 15%, cpu2 6%, cpu3 4%, cpu4 5%, cpu5 5%, cpu6 3%, cpu7 35%, cpu8 10%, cpu9 3%, cpu10 6%, cpu11 3%, cpu12 3%, cpu13 2%, cpu14 2%, cpu15 2%, cpu16 2%, cpu17 9%, cpu18 5%, cpu19 5%, cpu20 12%, cpu21 3%, cpu22 4%, cpu23 4%, cpu24 5%, cpu25 6%, cpu26 5%, cpu27 2%, cpu28 7%, cpu29 3%, cpu30 3%, cpu31 3%, cpu32 1%
Sample=171737
Time=11:37 AM 2/17/14

category=good
tresholds_error=
tresholds_warning=
tresholds_good=

I have not checked and I do not remember configuring the alerts to be logged, but I assumed that every single alert that SiteScope generates is being logged into the alert.log file.

So I am wondering if it is possible to not have certain alerts logged to the file as it is wasting our disk space.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 5 of 8 (644 Views)

Hi Ryu ,

Thank you for the update !

I see now, still as Kenneth mentioned above this is not configurable , SiS would always write into the alert.log if an alert is triggered. You could only limit the file size and delete the old alert.log files if they are not needed any more , see here : http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1165762 .

Hope this helps !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 6 of 8 (640 Views)

Thanks for the responses.

Ok so let me get this straight.

I clicked on the link provided and basically you can change how big you want the alert.log files by changing the 

_maxAuxLogSize.

So if the alert.log file reaches that size, then SiteScope will just delete that log file?

Also can you please explain how does the alert.log and alert.old.log file work?

What makes or moves an alert to the alert.old.log file?

I just need some kind of explanation so I can better understand and maybe set the maxAuxLogSize to a lower limit so it does not take too much space.

Thanks,

HP Expert
jmmirchev
Message 7 of 8 (627 Views)

Hi ,

What this setting sais is that the log file needs to be rotated to a new one , meaning that when the size is reached a new log file will be created (ot won't be deleted automatically).

There is one more thing to notice the rotation would only occur after a restart of the SiS (this had been recognized as limitation from some customers and there is an ER opened to chance this behaviour).

Hope this helps!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 8 of 8 (620 Views)

Thanks Yordan for the explanation.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.