HP BSM - Excluding SiteScope monitor CIs from Propagating (403 Views)
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 1 of 7 (403 Views)

HP BSM - Excluding SiteScope monitor CIs from Propagating

Dear Experts,

We are currently using HP BSM 9.22 installed on Windows Server 2008.

I was wondering if it was possible to exclude some SiteScope monitor CIs from propagating to its parent CI.

Or if there is a way to not include these certain SiteScope monitor CIs in the view and also have it not propagate to its parent.

I know how I can take it out of a view, but I do not want that SiteScope monitor CI to affect the color status of the parent CI.

Keep in mind that I have many of those SiteScope monitor Cis that I would like to exclude.

Any advice on this is very much appreciated, whether it may be time consuming or if there is a simple way.

Thanks,

Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 2 of 7 (364 Views)

Re: HP BSM - Excluding SiteScope monitor CIs from Propagating

[ Edited ]

just from the top of my head i can see two interesting points you might want to take a look at:

1. remove the KPIs influenced by the SiteScope monitors from the parent CI completely. So for example if your parent CI is a node and you don't want the status of the node to be influenced by the KPIs coming from SiteScope, you can remove the KPIs from the parent (for example Legacy System). Just be aware to do this in a local impact view since otherwise you will delete the KPI from all views where the CI is present (actually you remove it from the CI instance and hence all view the CI is part of).

2. as alternative you might want to take a look at the impact layer and modify the triplets in order to influence the propagation. for this take a loot at the chapter on Impact Modeling in the Modeling Guide. Anyways this is a good read.

i hope this will help you

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 3 of 7 (348 Views)

actually, the reply above is not accurate.
since BSM9 the SiS monitors DO NOT impact the parent CI. the "monitored_by" link between the parent CI and the monitor does NOT have impact triplet, so status are NOT propagating from the monitor to the parent. you can safely remove them from your views...
I suggest you read about HIs (health indicators) and how to map SiS measurements to HIs. this is the way your monitor "color" its parent CI.
of course my comment is relevant only for regular CIs and it is not relevant for the propagation between the SiS monitor and the SiS group (because they have "includes" link and not "monitored_by").
let me know if you need more info.
Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 4 of 7 (337 Views)

Asaf,

Ok I understand that if I remove the Sis monitor from the view, then it will not impact the color status of the parent CI (for example "node")

But as of right now, my views contain Sis monitors which are linked to Sis groups.

Now is there a way to remove the Sis monitors and not have it impact the color status of the group?

Thanks,

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 5 of 7 (334 Views)

not by default.

you can also look at LIV (local impact view) but if your view will not have any monitor, then the group is still calculated from them.

why would you want to do this??

Valued Contributor
RYU123
Message 6 of 7 (332 Views)

Basically my manager does not want to worry about certain SiteScope monitors such as Disk utilization and stuff, but wants to see other sitescope monitors such as ping and stuff.
Therefore he does not want to see it in his view or impacting his view in any way.
However, he wants another team to worry about the status of those monitors, so I will also create another view for the other team so they know the status of their environment.

Hope this makes sense.
Any suggestions or recommendations are very much appreciated.
Thanks,
HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 7 of 7 (329 Views)

then look at LIV.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.