06-14-2012 05:48 AM
I am wondering what is the best practice to integrate HP BSM 9.13 and HP uCMDB 9.05. Should 1. uCMDB configured to do a data push to BSM or 2. should BSM be configured to either populate the RTSM based on the uCMDB data?
If it is one, does that means I do not need to configure the data flow probe from BSM, because I will use the uCMDB one?
If it is two, does that means I need to configure the data flow probe for BSM?
Is there a way to use the same data flow probe for BSM and uCMDB? My guess is no, but I want to confirm...
I have read a couple of the BSM manuals, but they are not always clear in the distinction of uCMDB and BSM's RTSM. This cause confusion.
Thanks for the help,
06-14-2012 05:53 AM
Sync between BSM and CMDB should always be done in option 2 (BSM pulls from CMDB).
This means you need DFP to BSM and Sync TQLs on CMDB.
No, you cannot use the same probe for both BSM and CMDB (in the probe config you specify the server it is connected to).
Let me know if you need more info.
06-14-2012 06:03 AM
Thank you Asaf for your quick answer.
I actually have one more question:
Because we have both BSM RTSM DB and uCMDB and NNMi, NA, DDMA and OMW will send data to uCMDB, should we use population or federation. I am afraid that population will generate a lot of communication (and network traffic) between RTSM and uCMDB.
Because uCMDB is the full blown version, it seems logical that NNMi, NA, DDMA and OMW send the information over there, but I am wondering if it should also (or only) send the data to RTSM, or use population/federation.
We (the company) have very long term goal for this software and want to make sure we are doing the implementation the best way possible.
06-14-2012 07:17 AM
1) the best practice is to connect OMW and NNMi topology to RTSM and then sync that topology to CMDB. the reason is near-real-time update.
2) sync topology from RTSM to CMDB is the same as CMDB to RTSM, but this means you will need 1 DFP for each server
3) in general, you should have CIs in CMDB only if there is a consumer for them. if nobody is going to use those CIs, then why do you want them in CMDB?
4) dont be affraid from reconciliation. if RTSM/CMDB got CIs from different sources, it will be reconciled and you will have just 1 instance.
5) you should prefer population (at least into the RTSM). if those CIs are going to be used in ServiceHealth/OMi/SLM/etc. then federation will actually cause more overload on the system. federation should be used for "ad-hoc" queries, but if the CI is used all the time then you should populate it into RTSM.
let me know if you need more info.
06-14-2012 07:36 AM
Although I am very familiar with NNMi and OMW, I am new to the Mercury stuff. This information will help me get started.
Thanks a lot.
07-17-2012 08:12 PM
I am currently trying to integrate BSM 9.13 with CMS 9.05 as well, and the missing point I am confused here is that which version of Data Flow Probe should I install to connect with BSM 9.13? There is no Data Flow Probe installer on BSM 9.13 patch (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/
Seeing from the http://<BSM_Server>:21212, it is stated that the version of the RTSM is 9.04. So, should I download the Data Flow Probe from the CMS 9.04 Service Pack (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/
Thanks in advance!
07-17-2012 09:12 PM
Compatibility details should be in the probe guide. When you download the probe, the guide comes along with it. Few methods to download probe
1. Self solve>choose Universal CMDB (Application Mapping) as product and select patches and hut the search button and the service pack download that comes up should have the probe in it
2. openview site>Downloads>My software>My software updates - downloads choosing your SAID
07-17-2012 10:23 PM
Charles L. wrote:
Seing from the http://<BSM_Server>:21212, it is stated that the version of the RTSM is 9.04. So, should I download the Data Flow Probe from the CMS 9.04 Service Pack (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/
The probe version depends on the direction of integration between BSM and UCMDB. For integration from BSM to UCMDB you need DFP 9.05 because it must belong to UCMDB. For integration from UCMDB to BSM you need DFP 9.04 because it must belong to BSM. Never use DFP installation files from UCMDB media for BSM and vice versa!
I don't know why you cannot find DFP that was released with BSM 9.13 patch. It's available on the HP Support site - http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/
07-17-2012 10:26 PM
Hi Sujith and Dimtry,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I searched with the wrong keyword, "Data Flow Probe". Should have done it with its former name, "Discovery Probe".